Entering the military as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrandani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked at several threads on this topic before, none of them are very recent or helpful.

I originally tried to join the Navy as a FMF medic four years ago, but as I found out more details during MEPS I decided that waiting 14 months in DEP to begin my 8 year enlistment wasn't a viable option for me and took the Carib route gamble for medical school.

I have about a year to go before I graduate, and I'm still interested in serving. The recruiters I have contacted really have no clue about my situation other than that FAP / HPSP are not available to me. Even if the military match isn't an option for IMGs, I would be interested in doing some GMO tours if that's all that's available, but the one guy I managed to get on the phone who was familiar with medical recruiting said that he doesn't know exactly how it works and hasn't called me back.

Bottom line, who could I contact to find out the straight dope on my options? I have above average scores on the step, no blemishes on my record of any kind, and I'm a native citizen etc. From what I read here it looks like the military might require me to go into the civilian match and do at least one year of internship before they will consider taking me. Can anyone verify this or at least point me in the right direction?

I'm interested in anything available, reserves, national guard, all branches. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember looking into this for someone several years back, and the word was that IMG's could join the military as physicians once they had an unrestricted medical license, which requires finishing U.S. internship and (depending on state?) passing your Step III.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes...some IMGs have entered as an R1 at an FP program (I only know of one program that did this). This is a thing of the past, however, and was only during a low point for HPSP (low numbers). I'm sure it could happen again if we have low HPSP numbers.

Thanks for your replies. I guess that takes me to my next question.

If I applied to the military as a fresh graduate with no internship experience, is it theoretically possible for me to do GMO tours as a medical officer for the duration of my enlistment?

Or would I just not be able to apply to medical officer spots without that prior year of internship experience?

Thanks for your replies. I guess that takes me to my next question.

If I applied to the military as a fresh graduate with no internship experience, is it theoretically possible for me to do GMO tours as a medical officer for the duration of my enlistment?

Or would I just not be able to apply to medical officer spots without that prior year of internship experience?

This isn't a direct answer, but a few recruiting materials I cam accross did have some reference that makes me think you can apply after completing a PGY-1. No one can do a GMO without doing a PGY-1-you need to be able to get a medical license, and no state licenses with 0 years of post graduate medical training. On AF side you might have some luck talking to people at AF Personnel Center.

There were a few IMGs accepted in the 2009 and 2010 intern classes. This was at the depths of the recruiting lows and that is not currently an issue. An IMG with good academic records and good USMLEs could apply for an internship and be considered, but I would give it a very low possiblity.

After that, you would need to complete at least an internship and obtain an unrestricted license. It would be better to complete an entire residency, but not absolutely required.

If you would like to discuss more specifics, you may PM me.

Do an internship at a civilian institution. Pass your USMLE III and get a medical license. The military would not think twice about taking you, especially if you want to do GMO. One of my collegues in residency was a naturalized US citizen from Colombia. He did his medical school and training there. He did one year internship at a civilian program and got picked up as an R2, medicine in my program. It was a sweet deal for him. He got to finish his IM residency in a recognized and accredited program. He got paid higher than the average resident and comfortably supported his family of three. He only owed two years to uncle sam. Now he's practicing in the US, making 2-3 times what he'd make in Colombia. Can't get better than that.

Exactly the thread I was looking for. In the same situation as OP. IMG with no internship experience.

So without that PGY-1 year and USMLE Step 3, is it safe to say there's absolutely no chance of military residency, GMO, etc?

Are there no other options?

You can try contacting recruiters for all the branches and get the most up to date info on who they are recruiting and what spots are available but based on what was discussed above you're going to have to find a civilian internship somewhere before you have any options in the military.

Exactly the thread I was looking for. In the same situation as OP. IMG with no internship experience.

So without that PGY-1 year and USMLE Step 3, is it safe to say there's absolutely no chance of military residency, GMO, etc?

Are there no other options?

You don't need to apply for a categorical position. There are plenty of transitional or one year spots at community based institution or those in under-served or inner city areas. You have to do some leg-work, calling program directors to get a spot. Some of these places they'd be happy with an extra body. Once you do that then you could revisit military match.

I am enlisted IMG currently stationed in NC. I have completed my Step 3 as well and looking to do a residency in the military (IM/FP).
Any suggestions

I am enlisted IMG currently stationed in NC. I have completed my Step 3 as well and looking to do a residency in the military (IM/FP).
Any suggestions

I have a friend who's an IMG and was asking me about this. From what I saw (at least for the Navy), if you're an IMG, you have to have not only completed residency, but be board-certified and have post-residency experience.

I've copy-pasted below the section of the site to which I'm referring. From what others have posted here, it would seem that what's listed on the site is not entirely accurate.

Qualifications

Citizenship – Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or foreign citizen licensed to practice in the U.S. (see a Navy Reserve Medical Officer Recruiter for details).

Education – Applicants must be a graduate of a medical school approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the American Medical Association (AMA). Or a graduate of a school of osteopathy approved by the American Osteopathic Association.

Foreign medical graduates must have completed a residency program approved by the AMA, be board-certified in a specialty considered critical to the Navy Reserve, and have at least two years of experience following completion of residency. Consideration is on a case-by-case basis.

Licensing – All candidates must be currently licensed to practice medicine, surgery or osteopathy in the United States. To be considered, applicants must be currently engaged in clinical practice of the specialty being considered.

Age – Candidates must be at least 20 and no older than 59 years of age at the time of appointment. Older applicants may be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending upon qualifications and the needs of the Navy Reserve.

i am a foreign medical graduate currently on active duty. i am done with all my USMLE steps. Any suggestions on how to enter military residency