ENT resident seeking to become Dermatology resident

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by OTOSwap, Apr 2, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. OTOSwap

OTOSwap

Apr 2, 2017
    Student Doctor Community,

I am a ENT (otolaryngology) resident (PGY2). I have funding for another 3+ years. I am seeking to change into Dermatology. However, this seems like such uncharted territory. The search function on this board does not reveal much.

I have good grades, boards, letters, boards, and lots of publications. However, I do not know what is the best way to approach this. I do not have a home dermatology department.

Has anyone here done such a switch and can offer some sound advice?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. asmallchild

asmallchild Lifetime Donor SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Do you have a medical school associated with your training program? Is it possible to speak with someone with the GME office to pick their brains? I would also see if you have any neighboring derm departments (next city, next state?). In the few instances where I've seen this done, I believe the resident had to re-enter the match (usually after taking off a year or more to do research / do derm electives / get LORs)

4. MilkIsGood

MilkIsGood 7+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2008
    knew a ent resident that switched to derm. she did a research fellowship in between

5. OTOSwap

OTOSwap

Apr 2, 2017
    I have two derm letters. No home derm program, no med school derm program. I tried to meet with a local program to see what research fellowships they would recommend, it was a brief meeting because I had to get back to the hospital.

The issue they run into is "can we fund you". I have 3 years of funding remaining at the end of this year after speaking with my GME department and one at another institution.

Just seems like a lot of unknown these days versus 10 years ago before funding was changed. Can you offer any insight or put me in touch with someone who may have gone through this? Thank you!

6. OTOSwap

OTOSwap

Apr 2, 2017
    Oh awesome, any way you can put me in touch with her? Did she have connections from family etc though?

7. OTOSwap

OTOSwap

Apr 2, 2017
    Would someone mind helping me identify research fellowships and quality ones? DermInterest does not have many posted. I know there must be more out there.