ENT AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tragal Pointer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Matching ENT is hard. Matching ENT as DO is harder. I matched ENT and am DO. AMA.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
What were your stats, research? Did you get any MD ENT interviews? What was your experience with DO bias in the field of ENT?

Stats be 700+/800+ COMLEX and 250/260+ Steps. Never took PE. Research be 15+ pubs, about 4-5 in top ENT journals. A couple really strong ENT letters. I did get a couple MD interviews. DO bias is perhaps the strongest in ENT it seems.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Did you decide to do ENT early on in med school?
2) Assuming you don't have a home program, did you do many away auditions?
3) Did you apply with another backup specialty?

Thank you for doing this and congratulations!

Reactions: 1 users
Which MD programs did you interview at? Could he helpful for ENT applicants to know where other DOs have at least gotten interviews

• Angry
Which MD programs did you interview at? Could he helpful for ENT applicants to know where other DOs have at least gotten interviews
UAMS, Case Western Reserve are the ones I remember at this time.

Reactions: 2 users
1) Did you decide to do ENT early on in med school?
2) Assuming you don't have a home program, did you do many away auditions?
3) Did you apply with another backup specialty?

Thank you for doing this and congratulations!
1) Yes I did. Before summer of first year.
2) I was able to do 3 aways. Originally had like 9 scheduled then COVID. Only did aways at former AOA programs.
3) No I did not.

How long was your rank list?

Did you match at a historic AOA program?

Was any of your research from before med school?

How did you end up at a DO school as such a whack test taker?

How long was your rank list?

Did you match at a historic AOA program?

Was any of your research from before med school?

How did you end up at a DO school as such a whack test taker?
Rank list was 8 long.

Yes

no research before med school.

non traditional student who didn’t take college seriously. Bad premed GPA.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matching ENT is hard. Matching ENT as DO is harder. I matched ENT and am DO. AMA.

Thought this sounded familiar, so I looked it up.

"Matching is easy son. Matching ENT at a quality program during a pandemic as a DO is harder."

-- Georgander Hamshington, 1776

So epic. It just rolls off the tongue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thought this sounded familiar, so I looked it up.

So epic. I just rolls off the tongue.
Georgander Hamshington was my great great grand pappy believe it or not. He invented the common ear.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Georgander Hamshington was my great great grand pappy believe it or not. He invented the common ear.
1617806228719.png

Found this pic of some of his early work on war veterans. truly inspiring

Reactions: 2 users

SHENANIGANS! Proof that you need legacy to succeed in ENT as a DO. Watch out folks, we got a phony here!

• Care
As a fellow DO who matched ENT this year cannot agree more. Only received 4 MD interviews and was asked about being a DO at almost all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
As a fellow DO who matched ENT this year cannot agree more. Only receivers 4 MD interviews and was asked about being a DO at almost all of them.

Yall are studs. Congrats to anyone who made it through such foolishness.

As a fellow DO who matched ENT this year cannot agree more. Only received 4 MD interviews and was asked about being a DO at almost all of them.
Congrats on the match. had one guy at MD interview say "Since you are at DO school, I know you dont have a home program"

that's it. that was the statement.

• Sad
Thanks for the AMA! I have a question.
What advice would you give to OMS-1s/M1s who want to get into research and don’t have the breadth of publications, or none at all? Specifically, how did you find mentors and what skills did you feel worked better than others?

How were you so comfortable not applying to a backup specialty?
Do you find it hard to walk?

cause he is a baller applicant and had a spot wrapped up before 4th year started most likely

Thanks for the AMA! I have a question.
What advice would you give to OMS-1s/M1s who want to get into research and don’t have the breadth of publications, or none at all? Specifically, how did you find mentors and what skills did you feel worked better than others?
Honestly this was very school specific for me. Your best bet is to find a student who is able to crank out research and do what they do.

It was quite terrifying at times. However, I had faith that something would work out no matter what.

Your stats are amazing but are they the norm? I looked up a few DOs who matched ENT and Ophtho this year and most had 1-3 pubs when I looked them up on pubmed (usually just abstracts) and matched at former AOA programs. Did they just publish elsewhere and it doesn't appear on pubmed - and if so then wouldn't those journals be very low quality/just fluff? I'm sure they had amazing scores - so it seems enough on its own. I even looked up a current fresh ENT on pubmed and all of his research started during his residency.
Yeah it seems like former AOA programs are just recently starting to look more at research. But tons of pubs are not a requirement. Hell, none of it is really a requirement. It just helps you get your foot in the door.

When did you start doing research? and how did you know so early on you wanted to do ENT?
I started first year. And I didn’t know for certain, but it seemed really cool and I knew if I targeted that field and changed my mind a bit later I could still do about anything I wanted.

cause he is a baller applicant and had a spot wrapped up before 4th year started most likely

That would be some epic peace of mind. Can you elaborate on how it's possible to secure a spot before 4th year? Is it by crushing an away so much so that the program assures you you'll match with them, or because OP had a mighty impressive resume prepared by end of 3rd year such that they could be very confident in matching somewhere?

That would be some epic peace of mind. Can you elaborate on how it's possible to secure a spot before 4th year? Is it by crushing an away so much so that the program assures you you'll match with them, or because OP had a mighty impressive resume prepared by end of 3rd year such that they could be very confident in matching somewhere?
It’s not uncommon for people who have access to competitive specialty programs from day 1 and have made an impression to be told during 3rd year they have a spot at that program. Or perhaps they have been doing research with a program.

I will just reiterate an old axiom in these forums - until you have a match letter, you don't have a spot. I dont care if the PD calls you and tells you to go ahead and buy a house in the area, or that he is going to name his first born after you. Trust no one.

Reactions: 11 users
Did any DO students match at MD ENT programs this year?

I will just reiterate an old axiom in these forums - until you have a match letter, you don't have a spot. I dont care if the PD calls you and tells you to go ahead and buy a house in the area, or that he is going to name his first born after you. Trust no one.
Make sure to read the spread sheets for any program you're interested in.

This was a common theme in several programs (atleast for IM). I'm sure for smaller programs like ENT its probably even worse.

I couldn’t agree more with this sentiment. Just do your best, take anything anyone tells you with a grain of salt until match day because I’ve seen too many people screwed over. Whether it was ENT, ortho, gen surg, IM. I’ve seen too many people promised interviews after an audition and the PD or attendings saying how much they enjoyed them/ exceptional eval to never see an interview come their way.

Yeah it seems like former AOA programs are just recently starting to look more at research. But tons of pubs are not a requirement. Hell, none of it is really a requirement. It just helps you get your foot in the door.

1) Would you mind sharing your daily routine/method that led to great board scores and research output? Or any tips, etc.

2) If you were starting over from MS1, would you do anything differently to make matching ENT easier?

3) You mentioned your school being key to doing research, do you feel that you would have not been able to match ENT if you went to a new or rural DO school?

4) Just to clarify what you said about research just helping you get your foot in the door - are you saying the most important factor is your performance on auditions?

5) How difficult was matching ENT overall beyond excelling in the usual important factors (boards, research, letters)? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it takes extraordinary measures to match as a DO, like being very fortunate with the connections you make, creating a reputation for yourself, or other intangibles like that? Or is it more of a straightforward matter of excelling at the right things and applying smartly?

Thanks so much!