enroll in military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

springstar123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a img currently in visitor visa. not planning for citizenship or permanent residency. but military interests me a lot. i wanted to b a military doctor in my home country, but couldnot join due to personal reason. how is the chance to join uniformed service as a doctor in usa for a nonimigrant ?
how is the possibility of a career like in civilian program? anyone pls answer

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a physician already in your country??

If you are getting out of medical school, your best chances of getting to do a residency here in the US will be at most large major cities, NY, Chicago, Detroit, LA, etc, etc. Once you get your residency, the military will likely take you no matter what. Once you are in the military, you can apply for citizenship. I know that I met alot of enlisted people that way, I am not positive about officers, but you should ask a recruiter. I cannot see the military turning down anybody for physician jobs, as they are always in critical need because of the high rate of turnover, or better said, the horrible retention rate.

Good luck, but read more in this site to learn what your getting into as a military physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
fuhgettaboutit. Different requirements for officers than enlisted (commission versus enlistment) with respect to citizenship.

helo doc said:
fuhgettaboutit. Different requirements for officers than enlisted (commission versus enlistment) with respect to citizenship.

Exactly. You need to be a citizen to be an officer.

Here's the latest Department of Defense (DOD) guidance, which came out September 20, 2005:

DOD Instruction 1304.26
E2.2.2.3. To be eligible for appointment as a regular officer, U.S. citizenship is required unless waived by the Secretary of Defense for an original appointment in a grade below the grade of Major or Lieutenant Commander. For Reserve appointment, an individual must be either a citizen or lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence in accordance with Section 12201 of reference (c). National Guard officers must be U.S. citizens in accordance with 32 U.S.C. 313 (reference (d)).

--Search the internet for the above document if you want to read more about military citizenship requirements, otherwise talk to a health professions recruiter about your options. The military is hurting for docs, so that may work in your favor but it doesn't sound like you will have many (if any) options unless you are willing to become a permanent resident. I am not sure about civilian options, other than knowing that some non-US citizens work in the Veterans Affairs (VA) system.