English - Math Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fileserver

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading one of the TPR books and have difficult with these questions.

1. There is twice as much as A as B.

2. There is half as much C as A.

So how do you write these as math expression? The first question is alright when you think about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading one of the TPR books and have difficult with these questions.

1. There is twice as much as A as B.

2. There is half as much C as A.

So how do you write these as math expression? The first question is alright when you think about it.

2B = A

2C = A or C = (1/2)A

Wait, we're just trying to figure quantities, right? C = B, pretty much.

You're right. I never heard these expression before. I wish they would just say: A is twice as much as B and C is half as much as A.
Can you explain your reasoning?
1. There is twice as much A as B so there is twice as much A. Therefore, A is twice as much as B.
2. ?

Do you hear these expressions in life before or in grade school?

You're right. I never heard these expression before. I wish they would just say: A is twice as much as B and C is half as much as A.
Can you explain your reasoning?
1. There is twice as much A as B so there is twice as much A. Therefore, A is twice as much as B.
2. ?

Do you hear these expressions in life before or in grade school?

I can't remember, but I'm almost positive it was somewhere in grade school. I From the first one:
*WARNING; may not even make sense nor am I saying this how I was taught/how to do it*

There is twice as much as A as B.
I made A = B then basically worked out a situation mathematically that would fit that. Twice as much A; A is twice as much in volume as B, so it would take 2 B's to equal 1 A. I can't explain the reasoning, sorry. :(

Think about what the expression actually says:

"There is twice as much A than B. Think about it:
The statement says that there is more A than B. Twice as much more. This means that more than 1 B will be needed to make 1 A.
If there is twice as much A as B, then you need 2 B's to have the same amount of As.
2B = A

"There is half as much C as A".
Here, the statement says that there is less C than A. One-half as much. This means that you'll need some amount less than A to have the same amount as C. In fact, if you cut A in half, you get C.
(1/2)A = C

Statements like these should be intuitive to you for success on the MCAT.