England vs Ireland for US Citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iapyx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US citizen in the process of completing my bachelors degree. My stats should earn me a US acceptance, however I have spent quite a bit of time in the UK and would truly love to be able to stay there. I understand that going to a UK medical school does not guarantee entry into residency, but it at least gives you a shot. I would be happy coming back to the US for residency if it didn't work out.

I have researched all the schools and am trying to decide between England and Ireland. Based on what I have read, my top choice in each country (based on the fact they are highly ranked and tend to allow US citizens) are Imperial and RCSI. But which one. Is it equally difficult for a US citizen to get residencies/jobs in both countries, or is one a little easier. Also, in case I need to come back to the US, which do you think would be better. I am under the impression that Imperial is more highly regarded than RCSI, but I would imagine that RCSI has a larger alumni network due to Atlantic Bridge.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a US citizen in the process of completing my bachelors degree. My stats should earn me a US acceptance, however I have spent quite a bit of time in the UK and would truly love to be able to stay there. I understand that going to a UK medical school does not guarantee entry into residency, but it at least gives you a shot. I would be happy coming back to the US for residency if it didn't work out.

I have researched all the schools and am trying to decide between England and Ireland. Based on what I have read, my top choice in each country (based on the fact they are highly ranked and tend to allow US citizens) are Imperial and RCSI. But which one. Is it equally difficult for a US citizen to get residencies/jobs in both countries, or is one a little easier. Also, in case I need to come back to the US, which do you think would be better. I am under the impression that Imperial is more highly regarded than RCSI, but I would imagine that RCSI has a larger alumni network due to Atlantic Bridge.

Thanks in advance!

Why not apply to both and see what happens?

While it's great that you're taking initiative, be mindful of some of the potential pitfalls. It's very hard to practice medicine in the US if you don't do your residency there, and coming from a foreign medical school it is pretty hard to get into a good American residency program (and almost impossible for some specialties). If you go down this path, it may be more difficult than you expect to return home and practice in the US.

Therefore, it's extremely important to ask yourself how sure you are that you want to live and practice in the UK or Ireland. I obviously don't know what you mean by "spent quite a bit of time in the UK," but if you haven't lived there for at least a few years I'd be really cautious about choosing to attend medical school there, especially when you say you're competitive for American medical schools.

However, I really don't want to be a downer: life is short and some of the best things come from taking chances. Just keep these things in mind when applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not apply to both and see what happens?

I would, but assuming I get into both, which would be better for my situation.

While it's great that you're taking initiative, be mindful of some of the potential pitfalls. It's very hard to practice medicine in the US if you don't do your residency there, and coming from a foreign medical school it is pretty hard to get into a good American residency program (and almost impossible for some specialties). If you go down this path, it may be more difficult than you expect to return home and practice in the US.

Therefore, it's extremely important to ask yourself how sure you are that you want to live and practice in the UK or Ireland. I obviously don't know what you mean by "spent quite a bit of time in the UK," but if you haven't lived there for at least a few years I'd be really cautious about choosing to attend medical school there, especially when you say you're competitive for American medical schools.

However, I really don't want to be a downer: life is short and some of the best things come from taking chances. Just keep these things in mind when applying.

I appreciate the honesty.

I would, but assuming I get into both, which would be better for my situation.

I appreciate the honesty.

It's a bit too early for that I think. Not sure why you randomly picked Imperial but I would go there. I don't know a whole lot about Irish schools but I know a decent amount about Imperial. It will not gear any teaching towards the USMLE and you will likely be the only American in the year though - I don't know if that bothers you?

It's a bit too early for that I think. Not sure why you randomly picked Imperial but I would go there. I don't know a whole lot about Irish schools but I know a decent amount about Imperial. It will not gear any teaching towards the USMLE and you will likely be the only American in the year though - I don't know if that bothers you?

From what I've researched Imperial is the highest ranked British med school that has any record (that I could find at least) of allowing American students in. So not a random pick...

From what I've researched Imperial is the highest ranked British med school that has any record (that I could find at least) of allowing American students in. So not a random pick...

Ranked by what/who? We don't have any worthwhile ranking systems in the UK so I wouldn't pay attention to that and plenty of places let in Americans. The only thing I would say would be don't go for one of the newer schools as they are less likely to have heard of them in the US.

Hi,

In regards to Ireland - RCSI has the most foreign students but really any of the universities (UCD, UCC, Trinity) are probably equal and do accept foreign applicants. In regards to internship / training in Ireland post grad - difficult to do if you are a non EU citizen (which I am assuming you are). For internship the candidates are ranked first by EU nationality and then the non EU nationals are lumped at the bottom (even if they were first in the class) which I find unfair but unfortunately is the system.