Engineers & DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a chemical engineering Junior, and I was just wondering do Engineers make good DO's? Lately, I have been hearing that DO's use more problem solving skills, analytical thinking than MD's? Is this true? I am seriously considering DO schools, and I just wanted to get some input on undergrads majoring in engineering.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

All physicians use lots of problem solving skills.

If you're wanting to see if osteopathic med is for you, read up on the history of DOs (there are some threads around here with suggestions), visit a school or two, and talk with DOs in your area.

im an electrical engineer... im finding it a little tricky getting all of the requirements satisfied... but i think that engineering will prepare us for anything. you come into engineering because you probablly are better in math than normal, and you come out an expert at thinking outside the box and problem solving... what field would you NOT do well at??? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Other then having to backtrack and fulfill the pre-med requirements there's no reason why a chemical engineer wouldn't make a great D.O. or M.D.

My cousin got her MS in chemical eng. before she went to DMU. She's doing great!!!!!

I was a biomedical engineer and I'm starting at AZCOM this year. I think the critical thinking skills you learn as an engineer and the appreciation for why and how things work or don't work go hand in hand with being a DO (or MD). It seems like many admissions committees agreed.