Engineering to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lusofonos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to get some feedback about how to be a more competitive applicant to get accepted into medical school. I'd also like to know what my odds are of getting in to an average school. I'm working on my undergrad in chemical engineering, and decided I'm more passionate about medicine and would prefer to be a doctor rather than an engineer. I will take the MCAT in early June of 2018 and apply that summer.

-Cumulative GPA: 3.55 (Is this too low? will admissions consider difficulty of major?) I already have over 130 credits, so it's difficult to pull this up.
-Science GPA: 3.4
-I volunteer at a hospital 4 hours a week and have ~200 hours of service just in healthcare this far. Most of this also qualifies as patient exposure.
-I tutor College-level Newtonian physics 2 hours a week.
-I have a 2 year gap in my college education where I was serving a mission in northeastern Brazil. I learned Portuguese and interacted with natives for 16 hours a day. I can also understand Spanish, but want to gain fluency by the time I apply.
-I am the lead author on a publication, and I have been volunteering as a research assistant with a biomedical professor for 18 months.
-I have shadowed a doctor for only a few hours, what is the recommended amount to be accepted?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, especially from people who are already past being a pre-med.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a lowly applicant here, but all the adcoms I visited always say they like engineering majors. They say a lot of the engineering majors go on to become great doctors. My 2 cents on what I've heard.

Reactions: 1 user
To answer your question: No; adcoms do not take into account difficulty of major. You're expected to have chosen a major that was of personal interest and then to have excelled at that major while completing necessary prerequisite courses for medical school. Whether you obtain a degree in water polo or aeronautical aerospace engineering makes negligible difference.

Regarding your overall gpa, it is below average but not "too low". Your science gpa on the other hand is pretty low and that'll hurt at MD schools. You should have a great shot at many of the reputable, established DO schools pending on your MCAT score.

Your ECs are excellent and those will definitely help you.

Are you an underrepresented minority? Why do you think your science gpa is low?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question: No; adcoms do not take into account difficulty of major. You're expected to have chosen a major that was of personal interest and then to have excelled at that major while completing necessary prerequisite courses for medical school. Whether you obtain a degree in water polo or aeronautical aerospace engineering makes negligible difference.

Regarding your overall gpa, it is below average but not "too low". Your science gpa on the other hand is pretty low and that'll hurt at MD schools. You should have a great shot at many of the reputable, established DO schools pending on your MCAT score.

Your ECs are excellent and those will definitely help you.

Are you an underrepresented minority? Why do you think your science gpa is low?

My mother is an immigrant from Spain, so I am of Spanish origin. I think my gpa is low because looking at MSAR's list of MD schools, I am usually around the 25th percentile of accepted applicants. So I'm trying to compensate this with high EC's. But, I got mostly A's in gen chem, physics, and every biology course including biochem. Its my ochem and calculus classes (multivariable, intermediate, linear algebra) that are bringing it down. What do you think?

Hey everyone, I wanted to get some feedback about how to be a more competitive applicant to get accepted into medical school. I'd also like to know what my odds are of getting in to an average school. I'm working on my undergrad in chemical engineering, and decided I'm more passionate about medicine and would prefer to be a doctor rather than an engineer. I will take the MCAT in early June of 2018 and apply that summer.

-Cumulative GPA: 3.55 (Is this too low? will admissions consider difficulty of major?) I already have over 130 credits, so it's difficult to pull this up.
-I volunteer at a hospital 4 hours a week and have ~200 hours of service just in healthcare this far. Most of this also qualifies as patient exposure.
-I have a 2 year gap in my college education where I was serving a mission in northeastern Brazil. I learned Portuguese and interacted with natives for 16 hours a day. I can also understand Spanish, but want to gain fluency by the time I apply.
-I am the lead author on a publication, and I have been volunteering as a research assistant with a biomedical professor for 18 months.
-I have shadowed a doctor for only a few hours, what is the recommended amount to be accepted?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, especially from people who are already past being a pre-med.
There's a new MD school in ILL that's tailor made for you.

Reactions: 4 users
There's a new MD school in ILL that's tailor made for you.
I agree. OP you should look into this school: Carle Illinois College of Medicine – The World's First Engineering-Based College of Medicine

My mother is an immigrant from Spain, so I am of Spanish origin. I think my gpa is low because looking at MSAR's list of MD schools, I am usually around the 25th percentile of accepted applicants. So I'm trying to compensate this with high EC's. But, I got mostly A's in gen chem, physics, and every biology course including biochem. Its my ochem and calculus classes (multivariable, intermediate, linear algebra) that are bringing it down. What do you think?
That's good to hear. How did you do in your other engineering courses? A select few schools, such as Cincinnati iirc, include engineering courses with your science GPA. As long as you've done very well in the core prerequisite courses, you should be in decent shape for some schools. It all comes down to your MCAT.

Can you fit more science courses in (maybe higher level biology, intro neuroscience or even statistics courses) to bring your science gpa up?

People who switch paths often forget about the prereqs--unlike law school, there are classes you have to take to be allowed to attend med school. I expect a degree in chemical engineering will have covered much of them, but to be sure:
1 year bio+lab
1 year genchem+lab
1 year orgo+lab
1 class biochem (for MCAT)
1 year physics +lab
1 year math (calc and stats, calc may be skipped with AP/IB)
1 year English (courses must have a large writing component)

Not every school has the same prereqs, but this is a good, generalized list.

I agree. OP you should look into this school:
That's good to hear. How did you do in your other engineering courses? A select few schools, such as Cincinnati iirc, include engineering courses with your science GPA. As long as you've done very well in the core prerequisite courses, you should be in decent shape for some schools. It all comes down to your MCAT.
Can you fit more science courses in (maybe higher level biology, intro neuroscience or even statistics courses) to bring your science gpa up?

I will definitely check this school out. I have never heard of it before. I don't understand how they made their medical school for engineers unless they mean they just focus on accepting engineering applicants. Do you know how their curriculum is set up? Do they teach you engineering principles in medical school, or do they tailor the teaching methods to be similar to an engineering course?

I haven't done the calculations, but my GPA just for engineering is probably between a 3.2 and 3.5, which I think is above average for most engineers. I will take a 4 credit physiology class next semester, but other than that I won't have time to fit in any other non-engineering courses before applying.

Let's say I scored a 518 on the MCAT. Do you believe that would be high enough to get into mid-tier medical schools? I still have over 7 months to study, and I really think I could get that score. Also, thanks for all the feedback you've already given me!

I will definitely check this school out. I have never heard of it before. I don't understand how they made their medical school for engineers unless they mean they just focus on accepting engineering applicants. Do you know how their curriculum is set up? Do they teach you engineering principles in medical school, or do they tailor the teaching methods to be similar to an engineering course?

I haven't done the calculations, but my GPA just for engineering is probably between a 3.2 and 3.5, which I think is above average for most engineers. I will take a 4 credit physiology class next semester, but other than that I won't have time to fit in any other non-engineering courses before applying.

Let's say I scored a 518 on the MCAT. Do you believe that would be high enough to get into mid-tier medical schools? I still have over 7 months to study, and I really think I could get that score. Also, thanks for all the feedback you've already given me!

Take some practice tests first. Plan for getting a bit lower. Not saying you can't score a 518, but just know that that's a very high score.'

The school is new, so I know just as much about it as you do. Check out their website and maybe even call them up if you can.

A 518 would definitely help you pass initial screens at some mid-tiers, but I'd focus on scoring as high as possible and not on a single number or range. The MCAT is unlike any other standardized test out there.

Studying for a longer duration won't necessarily correlate to a higher score. Many study for 4M and do excellent. Others take closer to ~9-12M. It depends on your personal preference and situation.

You're definitely still in striking distance. Work harder than you ever have this year and pull that gpa up (gpa trend matters almost as much as your overall) and kill the mcat.

The school is new, so I know just as much about it as you do. Check out their website and maybe even call them up if you can.

A 518 would definitely help you pass initial screens at some mid-tiers, but I'd focus on scoring as high as possible and not on a single number or range. The MCAT is unlike any other standardized test out there.

Studying for a longer duration won't necessarily correlate to a higher score. Many study for 4M and do excellent. Others take closer to ~9-12M. It depends on your personal preference and situation.

You're definitely still in striking distance. Work harder than you ever have this year and pull that gpa up (gpa trend matters almost as much as your overall) and kill the mcat.
Great advice, thanks for the help! I'll put together a study plan and focus on improving my score after each practice test.

Feel free to PM me. Former Civil Engineer with a lower GPA than you and I was just accepted to one of my state MD schools - the GPA IS an uphill battle, so you'll want to take your pre-reqs as post-bacc classes and really nail them. You definitely want to score high on the MCAT, so take your time studying. I think having a cGPA over 3.5 is helpful as well (especially if you nail the MCAT). Your experience overseas will set you apart - especially your language skills. I'm interested in applying to the new Carle Illinois College of Medicine and will let you know if I find out more throughout the process. It looks like they are interested in actual innovation, which I'm not seeing at many other medical schools. Keck's HTE program is worth looking into as well. I'm still hoping they send me an interview this year!

One thing all of my interviewers said is that I have an "excellent academic record." Which is not true as my freshman year was a disaster. But I have a significant upward trend and a 4.0 post-bacc GPA. f you can pull off a 4.0 post-bacc and a good MCAT, you will probably get some interest - maybe a LOT of interest.

Feel free to PM me. Former Civil Engineer with a lower GPA than you and I was just accepted to one of my state MD schools - the GPA IS an uphill battle, so you'll want to take your pre-reqs as post-bacc classes and really nail them. You definitely want to score high on the MCAT, so take your time studying. I think having a cGPA over 3.5 is helpful as well (especially if you nail the MCAT). Your experience overseas will set you apart - especially your language skills. I'm interested in applying to the new Carle Illinois College of Medicine and will let you know if I find out more throughout the process. It looks like they are interested in actual innovation, which I'm not seeing at many other medical schools. Keck's HTE program is worth looking into as well. I'm still hoping they send me an interview this year!
One thing all of my interviewers said is that I have an "excellent academic record." Which is not true as my freshman year was a disaster. But I have a significant upward trend and a 4.0 post-bacc GPA. f you can pull off a 4.0 post-bacc and a good MCAT, you will probably get some interest - maybe a LOT of interest.

Unfortunately I've already done all my pre-reqs, except for psychology and sociology. But most schools don't require those, and I had AP psych in highschool about 6 years ago haha. I am definitely shooting for an upward trend this semester and next. Hoping to get at least a 3.8 cGPA these two semesters before applying. I will be learning to code in python, and I have dual citizenship. Do you think these attributes will also set me apart? I will add Keck to my list of schools to check out as well. Keep me updated on your progress! I'm always willing to listen to other's advice.

Unfortunately I've already done all my pre-reqs, except for psychology and sociology. But most schools don't require those, and I had AP psych in highschool about 6 years ago haha. I am definitely shooting for an upward trend this semester and next. Hoping to get at least a 3.8 cGPA these two semesters before applying. I will be learning to code in python, and I have dual citizenship. Do you think these attributes will also set me apart? I will add Keck to my list of schools to check out as well. Keep me updated on your progress! I'm always willing to listen to other's advice.

I think your upward trend with a cGPA already over 3.5 will do you well! I calculated how my GPA would change with each additional credit hour and for every 3 to 4 credit class, it's difficult to raise your GPA more than just 0.01 points with an A. But it sounds like you still have some time and a tad fewer credits!

I'm not sure about having dual citizenship, but knowing another language really sets you apart. Not sure on python - I know a little python, but didn't put it on my application. I have extensive work experience and own a photography business, but I'm not sure that set me apart that much. Each school will have a unique perspective. I fell in love with Wake Forest when I read the secondary questions because they emphasize creativity. You may want to look into them as well! I'll keep you updated on my cycle - feel free to send me a message any time you have a question.

You need more shadowing experience, but your patient contact experience is good. Now you need to add non-clinical volunteering to show off your altruism.

Chances for MD will be best with your state school(s), and any DO school. Can't advise further without an mCAT score.

To chime in as a felllow engineer who has recently gone through admissions process --

My gpa was similar to yours. I struggled with introductory engineering courses before I branched into my focus (biomedical engineering focused on biomedical electronics), but my last 4 semesters I had a 3.9. Yes, applying with a lower gpa is definitely not ideal, but it's possible! I was recently accepted at a state school as an OOS applicant. With that being said, your MCAT score is critical!! A great MCAT score doesn't overwrite a "lower" gpa, but it does help considerably to balance your image as an applicant when it is paired with other essentials (strong ECs, letters, research, etc).

Obviously I'm not an admissions committee member; so, I can only speak from my personal experience. I focused on MCAT, researching schools to find ones that reflected my goals in medicine/had comparable stats on MSAR, applied early in the cycle, tailored my secondary application to really express WHY I wanted to attend xx med school, and made sure I was able to articulate in an interview why xx med school/low grades/high grades later.

One thing I would like to point out is that a June MCAT can put you at a disadvantage in that you won't have your score back in time to apply both broadly and intelligently.

Can you take a lightweight Spring semester to work in more MCAT prep, and take in May? Even if it means taking a class or two over summer, it might be worth it --

One thing I would like to point out is that a June MCAT can put you at a disadvantage in that you won't have your score back in time to apply both broadly and intelligently. Can you take a lightweight Spring semester to work in more MCAT prep, and take in May? Even if it means taking a class or two over summer, it might be worth it --
My next semester has two engineering core(difficult) classes that I have to take. Taking the MCAT in June gives me an extra month after finals to dedicate just to studying. I also plan on applying to my state school regardless of what my score is, meaning my application can be processed by AAMC as early as possible, and then I can include other schools in early July when I get my score back. I could still set up brackets of schools to apply for so that I don't delay in sending applications after my score comes back. Ex: I plan ahead that if I get between a 500-508 I'll apply to such schools, 509-514 these schools, etc.
Do you think that is a good plan, or is there a flaw I'm not seeing?

My next semester has two engineering core(difficult) classes that I have to take. Taking the MCAT in June gives me an extra month after finals to dedicate just to studying. I also plan on applying to my state school regardless of what my score is, meaning my application can be processed by AAMC as early as possible, and then I can include other schools in early July when I get my score back. I could still set up brackets of schools to apply for so that I don't delay in sending applications after my score comes back. Ex: I plan ahead that if I get between a 500-508 I'll apply to such schools, 509-514 these schools, etc.
Do you think that is a good plan, or is there a flaw I'm not seeing?

Sounds like an intelligent plan to minimize the disadvantages --

I think if you can use the time after the MCAT before your score comes in to pre-write secondaries, you’ll be in a good position.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Former chemical engineering major now anesthesia resident with a fair amount of involvement in my medical school's admission committee. What I've gathered is that your GPA is not going to be a limiting factor. I agree with all the previous posters that your MCAT score will be very important. From my experience you won't get a discount for pursuing a more difficult major, but you can use your engineering background to be a better physician. Knowledge of pharmacokinetics especially is applicable to all fields of medicine. I had forgotten much of my fluid mechanics, physical chemistry, and process design through the several years of medical school, and now wish I'd remember more now that I'm a resident. From a med school admissions standpoint, your major may help some, but having a good MCAT score to pair with a reasonable GPA will be important.