Engineering major for physical therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppermint5039

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in Grade 12 and I am torn between two programs: McMaster's Health Science and Waterloo's System Design Engineering. I'm interested in both fields, but I'd love to pursue a career in health care.

I'd also like to have a backup plan just in case things don't work out. :D A co-op program is offered in Engineering so I would be able to try a variety of jobs, but I know it may be more difficult to squeeze in the prerequisite courses. In addition, I've heard engineering can be a rigorous program and maintaining a competitive gpa for professional schools can be difficult.

Would it be better to go into Health Science and take the risk? Or work my butt off in engineering and have a backup plan?

Thank you for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend going for your engineering degree first and then taking the required prerequisites for PT. Yes Engineering is very difficult, but if you have the right attitude you'll do fine. I had some roommates in the engineering program at PSU. I didn't see them a whole lot because they spent a lot of time at the school. The reasons I say this are 1) you'll have a marketable degree once you get your B.S., 2) You can take only the courses that are required prereqs for what ever program you're looking into (a Health Science degree might make you take a bunch of courses you don't need such as Organic, Biochemistry, etc...)

When I was 18 I had no clue what to pursue. This is why I'm giving you the route about way as opposed to going straight for healthcare. I mean do you really know with 100% certainty that healthcare is where you want to work? You might just change your mind somewhere in there. It's wise to have something to fall back onto if for some reason things don't work out (don't get accepted etc...) PT and PA programs accept any B.S. degree as far as I know. It doesn't matter really what as long as it's from an accredited institution. The field of Engineering is looking like a booming field in the near future. There should be a number of jobs due in the transition to cleaner "green" energy.

Regarding GPA... schools usually have a system in evaluating GPAs. People know that engineering is challenging. They'll most likely take this into account when comparing applicants. Do make sure you do well with the prereqs though.

It looks like you're going to be taking some pretty challenging classes. Make sure you have the right mindset. There can be a lot of distractions in college. You'd be in a different league than most students. Your classes will be harder than most students and require more time. I'm not saying don't have any fun but there will be Friday nights you'll be spending with you're head in a textbook while you're friends are out partying. I can pretty much gaurantee it. Just trying to offer some insight that hopefully helps.

I'll backtrack real fast and say that if you do know with 100% certainty that healthcare is where you belong then go ahead and start with the "Health Science" option. Make sure though that you are doing it for the right reasons and you know all of the pros and cons. Don't do it for the money. If you're going for the money go the Engineering route. Anyways hope that helps a little. Use this as a small resource in your research. Make sure you get second opinions, talk to institutions, health professionals, engineers, etc... good luck.

Would it be better to go into Health Science and take the risk? Or work my butt off in engineering and have a backup plan?

Since you will just be beginning your freshman year, I would suggest considering starting out undeclared. Fill up your first year with all the general ed courses you will need regardless, and see if you can get a "taste" of both health care and engineering courses and shadowing during that time. I would bet that you would be led in one direction or the other by the end of your first year, and you can declare a major then. It shouldn't extend your undergrad any longer if properly planned with your advisor, and you won't be throwing yourself into anything that you are uncertain about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of the classes in engineering programs ARE the prerequisites for PT school. Chemisty, physics, and calculus are usually required in engineering. There are classes that are generally no a part of eng. programs like psychology, biomechanics, some biology classes but if you look into biomedical engineering some might be part of the curriculum.

When I was a freshman I was a biomedical engineering major with plans to go to medical school. 1/2 way through my ffirst year I decided that I wouldn't enjoy being behind my calculator or in a lab for 4 years. I switched to athletic training which got me into what I wanted to do more directly and ultimately got me interested in PT.

Bottom line is - do what you want to do and make it happen, don't do what someone else tells you you ought to do.

good luck

Talk to as many healthcare professionals and systems engineers as you can, it might seem awkward but also try and ask them about how their life outside work is progressing.

Write down in 500 words your typical week 10 years from now (work related and personal), now compare with what you discussed with healthcare professionals and engineers.

I would suggest if you are 100% set on a career in healthcare and PT, then go with the bio, it will save you the trouble of a lower gpa.

I am in a similar boat to yours except you seem to be planning much earlier, ive pretty much winged career and am pretty confused as well.

Im currently a biomedical engineering major and will finish up in a years time, a year ago I finally matured, gauged my life and discovered what I wanted out of it. THis led me down the healthcare route. Specifically something in sports medicine would be my dream..

I initially started with osteopathy, had my mind set on it but as im shadowing physicians im leaning more towards PT now..

I like to keep a very active lifestyle and also want to do some athletic training or strength and conditioning on the side someday. I feel i wont have time doing the other things i want to do in life if i go through the rigors of med school to be on call and have so much stress. sports med doctors arent on call but there is still 7 years of stress and minimal sleep before you reach that point and not sure if i want that in life, especially in my 20's and 30's.

Im looking into shadowing PT's and discussing with them the life of a PT. Im even considering working as a PT for a while then looking at med school if i feel i dont have enough scope of a patients care. The only thing that is slightly holding me back is a financial aspect. As a PT i will make about the same money as an engineer but i will be spending an extra 3 years + loans more to become a PT. I could personally probably handle it but my parents will be quite dissapointed in me as they are engineers are really wanted a doctor in the family....

im sure you will choose the right path, im glad you are proactive in grade 12.

Thank you for your advice everyone! I decided to go for engineering!! I tried to talk to as many people as I could (students in engineering/life science) and I felt it was too early for me to limit myself to health care alone. I still love the idea of physical therapy, but I also want to explore other career paths and co-op with Waterloo will be the perfect chance for me to experience what it's like.

In addition, I figure if I REALLY cannot stand engineering (I doubt that though :D) I always have to option of switching to a science program; it's much harder to switch from science to engineering

Once again, I really appreciate all the insight you have given me; I hope you all succeed in the future and accomplish all your goals!

Reactions: 1 user