Engineering/Device-heavy PM&R programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WashingtonR

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the engineering or med-device heavy PM&R residencies? Shirley Ryan and Spaulding are obviously in this category, but which other programs should be on that list?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the devices used in rehabilitation are utilized as a therapeutic adjunct, usually used during their therapy sessions and by the therapists. At least, from what I have heard, residents typically aren't using many of these types of things.

That being said, prosthetic care is very med-device / engineering heavy, as prostheses and orthoses are all bioengineering feats. Pain medicine has a slightly different pull, but neuromodulation is med-device-y (think spinal cord stimulation, dorsal root ganglion stimulation, peripheral nerve stimulation, and all of the minimally invasive surgical devices that pain physicians implant).

RIC, Harvard, Pitt (when I went through training they had mega money for some SCI and brain/machine interface stuff), Einstein (Philly) has well funded gait lab through Esquanazi that really dives into biomechanics and engineering.

If you are interested because you don't want to do clinical medicine and want to get into that field of myoelectric arms/legs, SCI/TBI neuro-devices, or pain management devices through industry/start ups I would suggest going to Mayo, RIC, Harvard, or to a program in Boston or Bay Area for easier geographic exposure. Network is key for that type desire.

If you are interested on the clinical side to better understand and utilize that type technology then I would recommend any program with a large SCI and/or TBI program or large VA based program that does that work +/- VA based amputee care.

Reactions: 3 users