Endothelial cells

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the endothelial cells that line capillaries different from the ones in the arteries and veins? If they are the same, I would imagine that the gas exchange and nutrient/waste exchange would take place every where.

I read somewhere that the endothelial cells that perform the special functions like gas exchange or nutrient exchange are squamous cells. So, the endothelial cells that line arteries are not squamous but some other type?

Members don't see this ad.

No both are simple squamous, but its the diameter/volume ratio that controls gas and nutrient exchange. Capillaries are so small that blood cells have to squeeze through and there is some facillitated diffusion due to gradients.

As to arteries, they differ from everything else by having a muscle component, thats all.

No both are simple squamous, but its the diameter/volume ratio that controls gas and nutrient exchange. Capillaries are so small that blood cells have to squeeze through and there is some facillitated diffusion due to gradients.

As to arteries, they differ from everything else by having a muscle component, thats all.

I love answers like this one. Straight to the point, clear-cut.
Thanks!