Endocrine Fellow Applications: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the registering for ERAS bit.....steps in eras are to register for your match.....do you have to sign up for the medical specialties match even though endocrine is not technically in the nrmp? This is confusing...can sum1help?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I get the registering for ERAS bit.....steps in eras are to register for your match.....do you have to sign up for the medical specialties match even though endocrine is not technically in the nrmp? This is confusing...can sum1help?:confused:

You do not have to sign up for anything other than ERAS. Good Luck!
:thumbup:

I just got accepted for fellowship for 2007 into my first choice in California. And the "word on the street" is not that people apply for Endocrine and get in because they are waiting for GI or Cards ....Also, from now til 2012 there is a projection that the need for endocrinologists will triple, and there will be more demand than ever.

I went to 6 interviews total for Endocrine, all at top programs
Each program narrows down the 100s of applications to about 10-15 applicants they interview - usually for 1-2 spaces.

If you do not have the following criteria, you won't be able to get into a competitive program

1. Endocrinology research - must be in the past or ongoing
2. strong internal medicine performance in your residency (I was chief resident, so that helped)
3. you know the faculty members (this is key)
4. you are interested in diabetes and cardiovascular disease risks (this is the big research area now)
5. In the interviews, you must give a clear and good reason why you have a passion for endocrinology (not because it's easy, or it's a good life, or you like diabetes or thyroid disease - it has to be meaningful)
6. you must love to do clinical research and academics

Good luck to all...and don't apply unless you are serious

Members don't see this ad :)
Azngal...I could not agree with you more. That's exactly why I got accepted to my top choice in Boston for 2007 early in the process!

The demand for endocrinologists is already crazy. In some areas there are less than 5 per city!!! Not to mention all the new diabetes agents that PCPs are unlikely to catch up on fast enough.

Good Luck and Congrats! :thumbup:

Thanks Cleo-patra - congrats to you too.

Yes, you're completely right - not only do we have new agents coming out, but diabetes centers are popping up everywhere looking to take a multidisciplinary approach to combating this epidemic we have and there really isn't enough fellowship spots in endocrine to catch up with the demand. In the next few years, don't be surprise if endocrine ends up being one of the more competitive fellowships to get into.

Good luck everyone

Azngal...I could not agree with you more. That's exactly why I got accepted to my top choice in Boston for 2007 early in the process!

The demand for endocrinologists is already crazy. In some areas there are less than 5 per city!!! Not to mention all the new diabetes agents that PCPs are unlikely to catch up on fast enough.

Good Luck and Congrats! :thumbup:

I live in Las Vegas and we are in DESPERATE need for endocrinologists. There are 2 endocrinologists for our city and there are no pediatric endocrinologists. Our city is basically relying on certified diabetic educators to help with the large diabetic population.

hi all...

how is application process going/ can you please tell me the places which have shortlisted candidates for interview.
:confused:
thanks

Hello!
I also posted this on another endocrine thread:
"Hello!
I'm also from a community program - but in Chicago. I've applied to 30 programs, as well. I've received 5 interview invitations - for which I'm happy...but I was also expecting more of a response. I was a little worried because 2 of my LORs didn't get in until late Dec.
I hope we all hear more in the next week or so!"
Message me if you would like specifics!

Hey guys any good or bad news. I had no luck with UConn or UCSD. What the word on the street?

So...anyone still looking at this thread?
Anyone heard anything? I thought they were supposed to wait until 03/01 to make official offers - of course, we all know how true that is!

Fingers crossed, everyone!

Hey all!

Wow - endocrine sure seemed competitive, this year! I'm thankful that the process is over....

Just received an offer from my first choice program - quite grateful ^_^

Well, good luck to everyone - hope that you all meet with success!

Hey guys any good or bad news. I had no luck with UConn or UCSD. What the word on the street?

UCSD almost always takes their own -- their own residents. I went there for med school, and they still didn't interview me. They usually have 2-3 spots, and pretty much give it to any resident who is interested. Unless you are a super academic research candidate, they probably won't bother interviewing you or if they do, won't rank you.

Try Harbor UCLA/City of Hope, USC, Cedars, UCLA if you are looking in Cali, they tend to be more fair and not just take their own residents.

UCI takes their own too.
I agree, it's really getting comp[etitive now, I was shocked, but glad I got into my first choice CA program.

hoping someone could clarify...looking at ERAS it apears that there are programs that you can apply for fellowship the year (2008 for 2009) before beginning, is this true. I am currently an R2 and everyone else is apply for fellowships this year for 2009..I haven't really even started getting myself competitive as I just decided this is what I want to do...any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be the way to land an Endo Fellowship for someone who matched into a community-based IM program? Is it still possible to get in? I'm applying this year and had some trouble with Step 1, so I know my options will be limited. I did much better on Step II (200-210, so nothing great) and well as an M-4. Thanks!

Hey There!

Glad to see the interest in endocrine! It is definitely becoming more competitive (as are all the specialities - especially in the era of ERAS).
I'm at a community/university-affiliated program and was fortunately able to get into my top-choice program...
I think the key is to get a great mentor who has connections, show an interest in research, be recognized as a great resident (so your PD letter will be good), and work on your interview skills (an away rotation at a desired program might also be good).

While coming from a university program is advantageous, in a recent survey the #1 & 2 factors are: the interview and a well-known letter of rec = they want someone who they sense is good and who is endorsed as being solid. Publications are great, but I think programs are realistic in considering what residents can/cannot do during the limited time. I was involved in 2 clinical research projects and presented a case report at the Endocrine Society meeting - but had no publications under my belt.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

Can anyone tell me if endocrine application requires ERAS?
Also rank order or excelent programs list in cardiovascular, and diabetes endocrine

Thanks

Can anyone provide me a list of top H1B sponsoring endo fellowship programs mainly in adult endocrinology.

any suggestions for a new IM resident who's interested in endo, to get a good fellowship spot? in particular, is it realistic for people to do research given time constraints of residency? i have strong research which was done before med school, but i'm certain i won't get the same caliber of research done as a resident. thanks!!

I want to concentrate on lipid metabolism, and diabetes.
Prefer a program with procedural background too.

Any inputs about these programs? strengths, weaknesses?

Emory
Baylor
Iowa
BID-Joslin
Boston Un
Tufts-NEng
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
UCLA
Mayo

anyone applying for endo this year?just hit the submit button.keeping my fingers crossed.Anyone who previously matched,would appreciate their input.

yep,

me applying... thinking of applying to the above listed programs
what about yourself?

hi,good to see a response,i am applying mostly to mid tier programs,since i do not have much research experience.How about you?Any input about what they may be looking for in the applicant pool.Univ/comm pgm,research,step scores,interview,LORS?

its more about :
letter of recommendation from known faculty, and if you have done a rotation in that facility. also being a US citizen helps asunlike other fellowships, most of the endo fellowships are NIH funded.

Whats your profile like?

hey guys,

i am in the process of finishing my eras application for endo also. just a quick question - do we still need an MSPE from our med school!? part of the application asks for it and it seems really odd to be needing that for fellowship.

also, can we send our USMLE scores via our med school transcript or does it officially have to go through the ERAS site? its just a lot of money constantly for each thing that needs to be sent.

i'd appreciate a quick response as i'm trying to get this done asap!

thanks!!!

I submitted MSPE,and also did my USMLE scores through officialroute.I guess MSPE is not that important,though it will be better if you send your USMLE scores through ERAS.

What allprogram you applying to?

i'm only applying to ohio state univ. as my husband is finishing his cards fellowship here. i don't want to leave our home and be separated for 2-3 years...that would suck. i just hope i get the fellowship!

Whether or not you need the MSPE is program-specific. My advice is to thoroughly investigate your top 5-10 programs to find out EXACTLY what they require. It's a red flag to a program if you nonchalantly submit some things and not others. Fellowship programs are all about you making THEM feel special :)

Any thoughts about making myself competitive for Endocrine fellow spot? I'm currently a PGY1 at a community program. Got involved with research, but haven't gotten very far with it. Any input will be appreciated.

my first rejection - MGH
anyone got any invitation?

seems endo people are asleep.
My trail till now;

Rejection-
MGH

Invites -
Baylor, Houston
BU

my first rejection,from harbor UCLA.No invites so far........

Harbor UCLA doesn't sposnor visas (H1/J1) that might be the reason of your rejection if you have visa issues

I have two invites so far... Baystate MA and Univ. of Vermont.

congrats floodgates. where else did u apply to?
I got one more interview - Emory

my LORs finally got in..whew...not let's see what my ONE place says...

applied to 34 programs.... mostly northeast and some midwest programs
i'm an img with visa issues (on j1); wanted to apply to emory in GA too but did not know whether they interview people on a j1 visa. do you know if they do?

BTW, Happy Holidays to everyone in this forum. May everyone get into their desired endocrine fellowship programs for 2009 (well, actually for me I just want to get into an endocrine fellowship program, period)! God bless us all!!! Special thanks to those here who try to help us with our questions and stuff.

Merry Christmas!!!

Good luck, everyone! I hope you have time to relax during the holidays -- and take your mind away from the stress. I remember from last year how nerve-wracking this can all be :-(

Hang in there!

I'm new to the forum. I have one baystate interview thus far and no rejections. It makes me wonder where exactly my application went to! Are interviews delayed this year because some programs are going thru NRMP?

same here. my fellow residents are getting tons of interviews for other specialty while i only got three so far. hopefully things can get better soon.

me too. I just wonder if it's because of my credential, increasing number applicants, process is delay because of the match or what.

Keeping my fingers crossed.Good luck to everyone and hope everyone matches at a pgm of their choice.GL

endo seems be more interested in research experience, i guess that's why i have not got many chances...

endo is research oriented fellowship program, very few are clinic based. unlike other specialty programs, endo programs have limited number of spots, and may be therefore limited number of interviews as compared to others. anyone of you guys on H1 visa, and in south?

has anyone gotten an interview or interviewed with univ. of pittsburgh?

no response from Pittsburg. Got one from Mayo last week. How are other people doing?

I received one from georgetown. I was told that case western has not even started to look at the applications yet. So it must be a delay due to the match. I heard that on avg they are interviewing upto 35-40 ppl for each spot. Not to scare anyone off, but who would have thought that endo would this be competitive?

well, i hear from a pitt endo fellow that they had interviews last week and this week. whether they are their own pitt IM candidates or outsiders, i'm not sure. its not looking good for me though...i really really need to get in there only due to family, etc. being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.