End of Life Video

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being in the ICU, I have been having to explain the various options of DNR, DNH, withdraw of care, hospice, etc. I do a pretty good job but sometimes I feel that in such stressful events family members just don't seem to comprehend these concepts. At our institution, we have PTCA videos to educate patients about cardiac catheterizations and it appears to be helpful.

Do you they such videos that I could play for families to help them understand the implications of DNR, Hospice, and withdrawal of care? I think a visual in this instance would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Being in the ICU, I have been having to explain the various options of DNR, DNH, withdraw of care, hospice, etc. I do a pretty good job but sometimes I feel that in such stressful events family members just don't seem to comprehend these concepts. At our institution, we have PTCA videos to educate patients about cardiac catheterizations and it appears to be helpful.

Do you they such videos that I could play for families to help them understand the implications of DNR, Hospice, and withdrawal of care? I think a visual in this instance would be very helpful.

I don't know if a visual would be as effective in describing concepts such as these in the ICU. I fear that a canned video would replace the conversation that should occur between physician and family. BUT - I do know of some nice videos explaining the hospice model -- you may want to contact your local hospice for copies.

I wish that more resources existed to equip all ICUs with more social workers, grief counselors, etc to take time to educate families about these important concepts, what to expect when a loved one is ill or dying, what to expect after this occurs, to where they can turn if they need help.