End of Jr. Year - How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: took me a while to realize I wanted to pursue medicine, did not start taking science classes until this year (Junior), will take 5 years to graduate as a result. Plan to take a gap year and apply after. Anyway,

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.52
UC school
California resident
Major: Human Biology

Extra Curriculars:

Clinical Volunteering
40 hours - ED volunteering
Just began a program that should give me 270 by the time I graduate

Research
200 hours - research in neurobiology lab (2 quarters). One presentation. Will not continue due to disinterest.
Hope to begin volunteering in a different lab in the fall.

Shadowing
This summer will shadow an Infectious disease doctor as well as a neurologist.
After that I will look for an office based primary care physician to shadow
Hope to total ~75 hours by my application period.

Leadership
Graduate Relations ('10-'11)
Fundraising ('11-'12) chairs for my fraternity. Organized events with attendance of ~100, was put in charge of ~10 brothers to accomplish various tasks

Tutoring/Mentoring
Health and Medical Professions Mentorship program - mentored fellow undergraduate students in the health professions, helping them to achieve their personal and professional goals

Non-Clinical Volunteering
Will begin volunteering at a food bank this summer. Hope to continue this during the entirety of my next few years.

Letters of Recommendation
1 - Faculty Mentor, will be strong
1 - Graduate student who taught a class, hopefully will get professor to sign off on it. will be strong

Still looking for another science professor. Would it be detrimental if I did not ask my PI for a letter? He was hardly around the lab and I do not feel he knows my qualifications very strongly.

Future Plans:
During the next few years I still need to take Organic(both), as well as finish Chemistry Lab, Organic Lab, and 1 Physics class and some random Bio classes to finish my major.

Hope to stay MD, but depending on GPA when I graduate, and MCAT score, would be interested in applying DO as well.

Members don't see this ad.

ur doin great. work hard and try to get all A's from here on out.

:diebanana:do that to the mcat as best you can.

And you totally have a great shot at DO and should get some bites from MD