EMT, paramedic questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlittlej

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently applied to the Peace Corps and am just starting the ridiculous six to nine month process of getting sent. I'm considering doing an EMT or paramedic course in the meantime. In Dallas, Texas.

Getting certified would make me more competitive in getting a good position in the organization. And I'm interested in eventually pursuing a career in medicine.

Ideally, I'd finish a course, go abroad for two years working as a community health worker in the Corps, then return and work as an EMT or paramedic while I'm completing my premed requirements in a postbac setting.

I just have some basic questions, which might be state specific.
1. What kind of refresher would I need after two-plus years of not the course - not to mention the fact that I still probably won't have worked one day as an EMT or paramedic?
2. Will this gap look bad to potential employers?
3. What's the difference in pay between EMTs and paramedics.

Thanks for any reply.

Members don't see this ad.

6 months gives you time for an emt-basic course but not a paramedic course. to get into paramedic school you need emt-b plus 6-12 mo working as an emt-b on an ambulance. the program is then 1-2 years long.

Most EMT licenses are valid for 4 or 5 years, but you'll definitely want to do some refresher work when you get back. Depending on the state, you'll also need to earn a certain number of continuing education credits per year to keep your certification up to date--this may be difficult to do from Uganda or wherever you end up.

But, I say go for it. Getting an EMT license will provide you with some valuable skills.

And, like the person above mentioned, you probably only have time to earn an EMT-Basic before you're shipped out.

emedpa said:
6 months gives you time for an emt-basic course but not a paramedic course. to get into paramedic school you need emt-b plus 6-12 mo working as an emt-b on an ambulance. the program is then 1-2 years long.

This is actually not true in Texas. There is no experience requiremed for entry in medic school---in fact you dont even have to be EMT certified----you just have to have taken the course. Keep in mind that you don't have to take these courses at colleges for college credit---if you try to find fire departments or volunteer EMS services that offer the courses, they will be cheap and much, much shorter.

I live in Dallas. I took my EMT course in one month, at DeSoto Fire Department. This course was a M-F, 8-5 course. I took an EMT-Intermediate course from 6-10, 2 days a week for 3 months. The paramedic course I took was 4-10, also 2 days a week, for 8 months.

It looks like with your timeline, you can go through EMT & EMT-Intermediate training if you wanted to. I would recommend the following locations for classes: Methodist Medical Center, DeSoto Fire Department, Brookhaven Community College, Collin County Community College. There are several others, and your local fire department or EMS service can tell you.

If you aren't going to work, however, I suggest just taking the EMT course. You will have to take the test again in two years, and provide evidence of continuing education, which can be done online. If you just want the knowledge and won't work, the advanced EMT certs aren't neccessary.