EMT-B with a strong desire for emergency medicine, torn between becoming a physician or paramedic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physician or EMS?

• Physician

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Paramedic/Firefighter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Geomamaearth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
About me: 25 years old male. I'm an EMT-B, where I work IFT transport part time, and as a medical assistant in an urgent care. I have my bachelor's in Exercise Science, and absolutely 0 student debt.

I'm very drawn towards Emergency Medicine. I really like the idea of becoming a doctor, especially after working in the urgent care. Initially I wanted to become a PA, but I learned that their scope of practice in the ER is very limited compared to the The scope of practice, the depth of clinical knowledge, the autonomy, job security and salary of a doctor. I don't necessarily feel as though I need to be "The boss", and I know health care is a team effort. And I'm a bit concerned about the long road ahead to become a physician (I'm looking to be around 35-37 by the time I finish residency training, assuming no fellowship).

I would need to finish up my pre-reqs for medical school (2 semesters worth), take the MCAT, and I will be eligable to apply in 2018. Ideally, I would begin in 2019 (at 26-27 years old).

But I also love the idea of working rescue. There is a nice scope of practice that paramedics have, and I know there are obvious perks to being a medic in terms of lifestyle (1 on, 2 off, Kelly days, plenty of time for overtime). I recently met a Lt. In the county that I am in, and he pulls over six figures with overtime included (Yes, money is playing a big role in my decision. I need to take care of my family, and have a financial plan for my own future). He assured me that the area of south florida that I am in is hiring paramedics/firefighters. His enthusiasm for the job rubbed off onto me, as I recalled the handful of times that I actually ran urgent/ER transfer calls doing IFT. I would need to finish paramedic and become firefighter certified, which would take about a year and a half If I begin this summer (I can begin applying to jobs at 26-27).

I am torn between deciding what to do. I love the acuity of the patients that I can care for. I love the invasive clinical skills that EM has to offer, and I'm well aware that most patients are "non urgent", (I see a ton of them in the urgent care setting).

I don't know how to continue. I love the idea of the adrenaline rush, being one of the first people to meet and treat someone, the camaraderie and team effort, and clinical medicine. Several doctors have told me, "If you can see yourself being anything else other than a doctor, DO IT". And now here I am, full of doubt and anxiety about my future, afraid of regret and hating my professional life. Please offer some wisdom.

What are things that I should consider when deciding?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the journey to being a full-fledged career paramedic in a department you actually could call home could take just as long

It's a personal decision at the end of the day. I became a medic in 2011 and was pretty much over the comparably low pay rate by 2015, among other things. My wife made about 1.5X as an ER nurse what I was making as a medic (working for the same hospital) and she worked about half the hours in a year. I bring this up only because you mentioned finances being important to you.

Other than the money aspect, EMS can be extremely taxing in a 911 service, though there are redeeming aspects. I miss being on the box at least a little bit every day, but I've also had some really great experiences while making substantially more money and working fewer hours since entering the private sector. This made me much better rounded when I applied to med school, but my EMS experience is probably >50% of why I got in.

The path to EM is incredibly long compared to becoming a paramedic, and by the time you finish school you may want to be in any number of specialties. Med school and residency aren't easy, especially for those with families.

It sounds like you just need to do some soul searching. Talk to as many people in both fields as you can, and pull the trigger one way or the other. I had a love/hate relationship with EMS, but at the end of the day I think I will be much happier as a physician than I was as a medic. It sounds like you have a pretty level head about things, so I would be surprised if you make a bad decision here. Do your research and let life show you where you wanna end up. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user