EMSP Masters Degree Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarshMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am starting medical school next year and want to pursue EMS medicine. I've been in EMS since highschool and vol as a Paramedic/FF since. I am involved with several EMS research projects through my state EMS agency and I really think that is what I want to focus on in my career. I want to work clinically in EM and admin as a medical director and EMS researcher.

So in my time from now till school and the time I'll have in school (if any) I'm looking at Master's programs that could add to my knowledge and my skill set. I've checked out the Healthcare Emergency Managment (HEM), MPH at my 2 local universities, and an MS in Emergency Health Services from UMBC. None of which really jump out at me as progressing EMS in medicine type programs; the MPH is more about epidemiology and infectious dx and the HEM is specific to disasters. UMBCs program has 3 pathways the closest of which focuses heavily on policy and management of private EMS agencies. I was wondering if anyone has experience with programs that focus on public health from an EMS stand point or another program where the focus is on progressing EMS as a branch of medicine or progressing it politically/etc, something research driven perhaps?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.