empty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notsobabydoc

I love my blue name!
Removed
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
35 year old, LGBT, 3.6 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, 518 (expired at most places so retook in August 17, should be around 522) Ivy league BS, top 10 law school JD, Ivy league MBA.

Research: 500+ at cancer research lab
Volunteer: 500+ ER of local hospital
Shadowing: 100+ with two MD's

Employment: Litigator at top law firm, chief investment officer on Wall street managing 40 billion
Public Service: regional director at ACLU for gay rights over a decade, pro-bono legal work for underprivileged and others.
Charity and donation: highest donor to a major state University system on the east coast: endowed a chair at the English Department and Set up a scholarship for undergraduate students majoring in English. Cultural ambassador for the US state department in Asia and Europe
Disadvantage: grew up in a different country discriminated as gay, came to the US for college and joined the gay rights movement. threatened by a the foreign country government and granted political asylum in the US.

Why medicine now: made a good fortune on Wall Street, always wanted to be a doctor but because of immigration status I couldn't do it after college. Now it's the time to realize this dream.

All secondaries are completed but some schools won't look at them until my new MCAT comes in on Sept 17.

Schools applied to:

Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
Penn
Columbia
WUSL
Cornell
Mayo Minesota & Arizona
NYU
Duke
Pitt
Yale
Vanderbilt
Chicago
Icahn
Northwestern
Emory
BU
Brown
University of Rochester
Dartmouth
Georgetown
UConn
George Washington
Hofstra
Tufts
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Albany Medical College
Hackensack
What’s up with these ultra WAMC threads been popping up lately?

Reactions: 3 users
Your chances are rock-solid and your application is extremely strong. As long as you can make a good case in your interviews for why you want to be a doctor, you should be accepted. Your GPA is a little low for the top-20 schools but your ECs are truly superb.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn: do you know of any schools that like people that want to go into academic medicine, or where OP's app would be well-received? Looks like the OP is an absolutely stellar applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn: do you know of any schools that like people that want to go into academic medicine, or where OP's app would be well-received? Looks like the OP is an absolutely stellar applicant.
The Really Top Schools have a mission to train leaders in academic medicine. This might be why in a random sampling of where med school deans went to school, many of the went to Harvard/Stanford class schools. Interestingly, the dean of Wash U went to SLU!

In several ways OP and I are fairly similar applicants (GPA, MCAT, age, graduate degrees, LGBT, compelling stories, desire to go into academic medicine) and I am having a pretty successful cycle so far, with a similar school list, so I'd say chances are good. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
marking this because OP and I are similar in age, graduate degrees, GPA, URM, practice MCAT scores(i know it's only practice so far) and I will be applying the following cycle and want to follow along and learn from this. I will probably add Texas schools to my list because I want that cheap tuition and it's close to home(Arkansas)

Will do. Hopefully it will be a post about which one to pick at that point.

You're one of the strongest applicants to post on these boards. Easily in the top 5% and probably closer to top 1%. There are no guarantees in this, but you should receive at least five interviews from your school list. As long as you don't blow them, you should be attending medical school this time next year.

I think you are nuts but I am comfortable you will excel as you have at the rest of your life. Long, long, long time before you will reach the top. This is not like the business world.
I was very traditional. Grad med school in 1977 age 26. After 1 yr intern, 2 1/2 operational military assignment, 4 year residency, 1 year fellowship, then final 2 yrs navy as attending physician.
Enter private practice in 1988, age 37 as a NOOB!! It was about 10-15 years later that I felt, and was acknowledged as, being at the top of my game and in a physician “leadership” position.

That is a lot of time and you are not a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP is a star applicant. Pls keep us updated!

You’re in medicine for the right reasons. Consider the top schools: they like non-trads fairly often, especially high-achieving ones with interesting life stories like yours. In your shoes, I’d apply to about 15 top 20s, five or ten midtiers, and your state schools. Vanderbilt, Columbia, Duke, and Dartmouth might like people like you.

Update: I got a 524. Now the wait starts for II's. Getting complete around Sept 10 at most places.

Start practicing for your interviews. I’m sure you won’t need much help, but you may want to check out the MMI format if you haven’t already. Thanks for joining this crazy field — we need more people like you. I’m wishing you the best of luck.

SAVAGE applicant. ECs are SAVAGE, MCAT is SAVAGE, cGPA is okay and sGPA is SAVAGE. A SAVAGE applicant and plain ole’ savage, maybe even SAVAGE, by top-20 standards. You have a solid shot at SAVAGE schools like Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

A SAVAGE eight-figure donation (ten million or better) could seal the deal if that’s the route you want to go down.

• Haha
Hey, you’re a SAVAGE applicant and don’t need to pony up ten million for a Harvard acceptance. If your goal is to get in anywhere, you’ve got as good a chance of that as anyone. Your application and life story is SAVAGE and your interpersonal skills are also probably SAVAGE as well. Apply to top-20 schools like Hopkins, Harvard, and Stanford liberally, as well as mid tiers and your state schools. Your PS should be SAVAGE as well. Gonnif or other medical admissions consultants could put the final polish on your application to make it truly SAVAGE. But you probably don’t need any of that as you are a SAVAGE bro. A legit SAVAGE, with a tiny dent from your GPA that shouldn’t mean much.

SAVAGE applicant. ECs are SAVAGE, MCAT is SAVAGE, cGPA is okay and sGPA is SAVAGE. A SAVAGE applicant and plain ole’ savage, maybe even SAVAGE, by top-20 standards. You have a solid shot at SAVAGE schools like Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

A SAVAGE eight-figure donation (ten million or better) could seal the deal if that’s the route you want to go down.

im dead

Thanks for the advice. Will look into it. Yeah, it's really insane at this point of my life for me to do this. It's literally the hardest thing I can put myself through. But we only live once (as far as I know), and I don't want to leave any regret.

It can feel insane for sure, but that’s why we lunatics are here. Only you can know if it’s worth it - and I hope it is. Please keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.