Employer Letter of Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMikes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Some dental schools require a letter of recommendation from an employer. I've actually owned & operated my own business and I've never worked for anybody else. Frankly, I'm not sure what to do in this scenario. Does anybody have any experience with this? Advice? Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools require a recommendation from an employer? I've never heard of this before.

Which schools require a recommendation from an employer? I've never heard of this before.
The University of Minnesota does--I just assumed there are more than MN.

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Minnesota does--I just assumed there are more than MN.
I got in there. Didn't have a letter from an employer, though I have been employed. You could likely use one from a someone who oversaw volunteer work or research

Reactions: 1 user
I got in there. Didn't have a letter from an employer
Interesting... In their requirements it states:
"Official letters of recommendation
Students must submit to the Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) three strong Letters of Recommendation. Refer to AADSAS Application Instructions for the 2016 Entering Class. The University of Minnesota School of Dentistry requires two letters of recommendation from science faculty and the third from an employer/supervisor."

Interesting... In their requirements it states:
"Official letters of recommendation
Students must submit to the Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) three strong Letters of Recommendation. Refer to AADSAS Application Instructions for the 2016 Entering Class. The University of Minnesota School of Dentistry requires two letters of recommendation from science faculty and the third from an employer/supervisor."
I added a bit more on after you replied. I used a pre-health committee letter, and aside from academic ones, I had a volunteer supervisor and a supervisor of another club. I think the letter is just trying to gage how well you work in a non-academic sense. To be safe, email or call the school. They have always been very receptive to questions. Good luck :)

I added a bit more on after you replied. I used a pre-health committee letter, and aside from academic ones, I had a volunteer supervisor and a supervisor of another club. I think the letter is just trying to gage how well you work in a non-academic sense. To be safe, email or call the school. They have always been very receptive to questions. Good luck :)
Thank you very much for the information!

Reactions: 1 user
Ah I see.
Paging @SableFire
Your assistance is needed.
From what I've seen many schools say employer/volunteer coordinator. Do you have any volunteer experience @DMikes (hopefully yes haha)? If I were in that situation I would use a volunteer supervisor/coordinator. I applied to the U of MN last cycle and used a my volunteer supervisor and had no issues. This cycle however I used my boss.

From what I've seen many schools say employer/volunteer coordinator. Do you have any volunteer experience @DMikes (hopefully yes haha)? If I were in that situation I would use a volunteer supervisor/coordinator. I applied to the U of MN last cycle and used a my volunteer supervisor and had no issues. This cycle however I used my boss.
Yes I do. Thank you. I will try that!