Emotional Support Animals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EDIT: Sidenote, I just noticed I got my20+ year member tag. God, I feel old now.

What was it like to be alive during the moon landing? ;)

Yeah, for every ESA request I have (not nearly as much as you so far likely), the real problem was “I want this apartment to either let me stay or not charge a pet deposit “

Nope

My most recent request was for a pt moving and wanting her cat. For one thing, I did a dementia evaluation (which was broadly normal) so what exactly would I say that you need an ESA for? Luckily, I returned the call, got a voicemail and explained that I do not write such letters, didn't hear back, which is probably a good thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What was it like to be alive during the moon landing? ;).

The moon landing was a hoax perpetrated by the Russian government in collusion with Hollywood movie studios. Didn't ya know?!? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
The moon landing was a hoax perpetrated by the Russian government in collusion with Hollywood movie studios. Didn't ya know?!? :laugh:

When you first became a member, what was it like responding to posts via the Pony Express? And, when telegraph came along, was that much of a shock?

It's okay, gramps. You had to entertain yourself on SDN. The world had not yet invented: wikipedia, streaming movies, gmail, etc.

Had to do something while waiting for movies and music to download off of Napster and Limewire

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Not trying to be stigmatizing of PTSD, but with some of the irritability/aggressiveness symptoms that do occur, I also worry about the idea of prescribing animals all willy-nilly without putting some protections in place for the animals themselves...sheesh.

Not trying to be stigmatizing of PTSD, but with some of the irritability/aggressiveness symptoms that do occur, I also worry about the idea of prescribing animals all willy-nilly without putting some protections in place for the animals themselves...sheesh.

Yeah, no politician is touching that one with a 10 ft pole. Vets are the Golden Calf, politically. They only get screwed between the lines and by their own voting record.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, no politician is touching that one with a 10 ft pole. Vets are the Golden Calf, politically. They only get screwed between the lines and by their own voting record.

Every veteran is a hero! (Jeffery Dahmer, BTK, Son of Sam, Green River Killer, Timothy McVeigh, DC Sniper, Charles Ng + Charles Lake, Kristen Gilbert, Fort Leavenworth)

Every veteran is a hero! (Jeffery Dahmer, BTK, Son of Sam, Green River Killer, Timothy McVeigh, DC Sniper, Charles Ng + Charles Lake, Kristen Gilbert, Fort Leavenworth)

Don't forget that Navy Seal psychopath that murdered people with a smile on his face, that Trump pardoned.

Missed the testimony that he was smiling. Is that real or a turn of phrase?

thought I remembered his fellow officers mention something like that, or joking about it when he was doing it. Particularly when he killed the kid receiving medical attention. Comments about it being a "great story" and that he got the kid "with [his hunting] knife." Seemed to be overwhelming evidence of war crimes. What a time when we celebrate psychopath war criminals, but condone making fun of POWs. Disgusting.

Missed the testimony that he was smiling. Is that real or a turn of phrase?

Feel free to look at the photo evidence yourself.

(WARNING BLURRED OUT DEAD BODIES IN LINKS)

twitter user amoneyresists post on November 30, 2019

(couldn't figure out how to turn off link previews, and people shouldn't have to see that unless they actively are trying to)

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to look at the photo evidence yourself.

(WARNING BLURRED OUT DEAD BODIES IN LINKS)

twitter user amoneyresists post on November 30, 2019

(couldn't figure out how to turn off link previews, and people shouldn't have to see that unless they actively are trying to)
I am bad at twitter but marginally better at google, and ....um..... damn

I am bad at twitter but marginally better at google, and ....um..... damn

thought I remembered his fellow officers mention something like that, or joking about it when he was doing it. Particularly when he killed the kid receiving medical attention. Comments about it being a "great story" and that he got the kid "with [his hunting] knife." Seemed to be overwhelming evidence of war crimes. What a time when we celebrate psychopath war criminals, but condone making fun of POWs. Disgusting.

Gallagher was never charged with a war crime because that is a specific thing. He was charged with murder, illegal drug use (steroids and tramadol), obstruction of justice (threatening to kill teammates if they talked), and discrediting the military (photos that were bad for the military).

The only war crimes recognized by the USA are those under the Geneva Convention, as adopted by Clinton. The Geneva convention only applies when there is a declared war, or when both parties agree to abide by the conventions. This is why you see politicians saying things like "armed conflict", rather than war.

It's also why Trump levied asset seizures from the Hague (ICC), and restricted the travel of its investigators. But that surely isn't related to veteran Erik Prince's company building "training centers" for Uighurs in China, right?

And you know, little further back, that young Austrian fellow with those bold new ideas for Germany, the one with the mustache.

Being crystal clear and serious, I think being a veteran confers no special moral status good or bad rather than making one a monster. Just that it turns out they are compatible.

And you know, little further back, that young Austrian fellow with those bold new ideas for Germany, the one with the mustache.

Being crystal clear and serious, I think being a veteran confers no special moral status good or bad rather than making one a monster. Just that it turns out they are compatible.

I don’t think veteran status makes anyone a hero or not. But if the federal government asserts that all veterans are heroes, then they have some explaining to do. If the federal government wants to admit this saying is a stupid bit of propaganda, and back down, that fine too.

Last edited:
Bumping this because I just was made aware of this press release and am curious about everyone's thoughts:

Edit: Here's the actual research being referenced - Letter Report on Review of Department of Veterans Affairs Monograph on Potential Therapeutic Effects of Service and Emotional Support Dogs on Veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder | The National Academies Press

Last edited:
"That is, the authors have clarified in the revised monograph that the study does not provide evidence that service dog placement improves overall disability or quality of life among Veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)."

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I’m wondering about the actual study as well. My reading of this brief article highlights that reduced SI and “improved mental health” are the outcome variables I guess, and that outcomes with service dogs are better than with emotional support dogs. Was there a control group? Cuz otherwise this doesn’t say anything helpful about emotional support animals. Someone please chime in if you know more about this report.

Apparently it's also possible that participants in the trial were engaged in PTSD treatment concurrently.

"Lastly, the committee would like to see more clarification within the revised monograph that the changes reported in PTSD symptoms could be the result of ongoing PTSD treatment that is unrelated to the study intervention. Causal claims about “benefits” in both groups should be tempered by a discussion of the ongoing PTSD treatment, which should be reflected in the interpretation of the results. The revised monograph, the cover letter, and the VA response document are all very clear that it would be “unethical to ask participants to stop utilizing their existing PTSD therapies to allow a comparison of a dog only group (utilizing an unproven potential mitigation for PTSD)” (revised monograph, p. 28). However, the impact of ongoing treatment on the interpretation of the study should be more explicitly stated and accounted for within the text."

• Haha
So to sum up the provisional arguments of this study based on the title and 30 seconds of perusing....trained dogs are better than untrained dogs in reducing some symptoms of anxiety. Having dealt with well-trained and poorly trained dogs that were not services animals, I can tell you which one makes me less anxious....

Also, the source for the snippet about the "benefits" of the program happens to be the program itself, which also stands to greatly benefit financially from a larger federal contract if some senator reads this and decides that we need to throw an overpriced boondoggle into the next appropriations bill so he can say he loves our Vets.

Also, the source for the snippet about the "benefits" of the program happens to be the program itself, which also stands to greatly benefit financially from a larger federal contract if some senator reads this and decides that we need to throw an overpriced boondoggle into the next appropriations bill so he can say he loves our Vets.

It's almost like the fed recognizes that real unemployment would be about 12% without people employed by the military. And the unemployment rate would be about 15%, if they hadn't moved people onstate funded welfare to being on federally funded SSDI (i.e., if you're on disability, you don't get counted as unemployed). But that would require the military to literally pay brands like the NFL to covertly market nationalism into their lifestyle brand.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
It's almost like the fed recognizes that real unemployment would be about 12% without people employed by the military. And the unemployment rate would be about 15%, if they hadn't moved people onstate funded welfare to being on federally funded SSDI (i.e., if you're on disability, you don't get counted as unemployed). But that would require the military to literally pay brands like the NFL to covertly market nationalism into their lifestyle brand.

Freedom isn't free. Or some other nonsense...