Emory Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WantAnMPH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten their financial aid info for Emory yet? The link "View/Accept Financial Aid" finally started working for me yesterday, but it just takes me to a page that says "Aid year not set up for self-service."

Is anyone's working?

Members don't see this ad.

i called financial aid like 2 weeks ago about when we'd be notified with financial aid packages and fin. aid told me they'd be awarded by mid april

Yeah the website says April 1, but I talked to the Epi Dept and was told that in past years students get financial aid right before Visit Emory...which would mean now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had it pop up that I could view it but then it says it is not available. I'm hoping by April 1 or shortly after it will be posted.

they said at visit emory that we should all be notified within the next two weeks.

I got my financial aid package today. I was sent an email that said it was ready to be viewed online and then found it through OPUS.

I'm a little flabbergasted at how I am going to be able to afford going to Emory now.

MPHer, was the financial aid not what you hoped to get?

Hopefully, mine will come today...

I got mine today in an email as well. A little work study and a lot of loans.

Boo, I wonder what the hold up with mine is. When did you guys submit your stuff?

i got my stuff today too..kinda ehh at the work study money offered but at least its something. i just looked at Emorys total cost of attendance and im glad i have the option of living at home and commuting for a few months after seeing how expensive it really will be =/

i got my stuff today too..kinda ehh at the work study money offered but at least its something. i just looked at Emorys total cost of attendance and im glad i have the option of living at home and commuting for a few months after seeing how expensive it really will be =/

does it likst work study specifically? all i had were loans on mine.. looks like i won't be able to afford anything

This is so weird that everyone else has received their aid, and I still haven't.

Is anyone willing to give specifics on what they got here vs. what the got at other schools? I'm hoping to at least get the max subsidized ($8500/year) and some work-study.

does it likst work study specifically? all i had were loans on mine.. looks like i won't be able to afford anything

yes i got a column of the loans for the 08-09 school year and a column for work study for the 08-09 school year.

and to WantanMPH, i got the max on sub. loans and a good chunk on unsub. loans..so ill be able to afford Emory on federal loans completely b/c im not considering living expenses, health insurance, and transportation otherwise id also have to take out private loans to fund Emory.

Members don't see this ad :)
snoofle, are you working full time? How are paying housing, etc.? I know you mentioned living at home for a few months.

snoofle, are you working full time? How are paying housing, etc.? I know you mentioned living at home for a few months.

i do work full time and currently i live at home so i dont pay for housing now, but my thoughts were if i got into clairmont campus then id take out a private loan and have my dad spot me on the rest of it..but now the cost of clairmont campus is too much for me to consider now that im looking at these loans and cost of attendance so if i dont find a roommate to share an apartment with then ill just stay home longer. but i was going to pay for an apartment with the money i saved up working now, have my parents spot me a little bit, and hopefully the work study money could help some too.

I got the max on sub'd loans and 5k a year on work studies. I wasn't particularly disappointed with the loans themselves as much as finding out the true cost of attendance. Oh well... Still waiting on a couple other schools.

yea reading the cost of attendance really sucked lol..i also got 5k in work study..i wonder if thats the max?

What was the cost of attendance? How much was tuition vs. other stuff?

Fall 2008
Tuition Expenses 11,400.00 USD
Fees 238.00
Living Expenses 8,405.00
Books and Supply Expenses 731.00
Transportation Expenses 327.00
Loan Fees 389.00
Health Insurance 998.00
Term Total 22,488.00

Spring 2009
Tuition Expenses 11,400.00 USD
Fees 238.00
Living Expenses 8,405.00
Books and Supply Expenses 731.00
Transportation Expenses 327.00
Loan Fees 389.00
Health Insurance 998.00
Term Total 22,488.00
Total COA 44,976.00

I was told that $5000 was the max for work study.
That COA isn't just for tuition, is it? That includes housing, etc. correct?

Thanks guys! That was about my estimate, but I got worried when everyone said they were surprised by the total cost.

Hopefully they will have some funds left when they get to me!!

When did you guys submit your FAFSAs?

yea the COA includes everythinggg so tuition alone is 11,400. so thats not too bad. i submitted mine like jan 31 but corrected it march 1

I guess I should stop worrying so much. I'll get financial aid eventually. Just seems weird that I'm the only one who hasn't gotten aid yet.

Is there anyone on here that hasn't gotten aid from Emory yet? Not sure if it matters, but I'm in Epi.

Ugh, i guess i didn't qualify for work-study even though I have NO money saved up..

does anyone know what happens if i correct my fafsa at this point? since they have already sent out award notifications??

also- does subsidized just mean it's interest free while you arein school ??

AND- how come the cost of attendance for me is different?
Fall 2008
Budget ItemAmount Tuition Expenses 19,650.00 USD Fees 238.00 Living Expenses 8,405.00 Books and Supply Expenses 1,992.00 Transportation Expenses 327.00 Loan Fees 389.00 Health Insurance 998.00 Term Total
USD Spring 2009
Budget ItemAmount Tuition Expenses 19,650.00 USD Fees 238.00 Living Expenses 8,405.00 Books and Supply Expenses 1,992.00 Transportation Expenses 327.00 Loan Fees 389.00 Health Insurance 998.00 Term Total
Total COA
USD
Seems like my tuition fees are a lot more than yours? but i thought it was a flat tuition???????

publichealthfan, are you in a dual degree program, or a specific program (like the 3 semester track) that has higher tuition per semester?

Ugh, i guess i didn't qualify for work-study even though I have NO money saved up..

does anyone know what happens if i correct my fafsa at this point? since they have already sent out award notifications??

also- does subsidized just mean it's interest free while you arein school ??

AND- how come the cost of attendance for me is different?
Fall 2008
USD Spring 2009
Total COA
USD
Seems like my tuition fees are a lot more than yours? but i thought it was a flat tuition???????

oh thats really weird for your tuition..somone else posted that their tuition was 44K as well so i figure COA should be roughly the same. Are you in a MSPH program? cuz those are more expensive since they require more hours..if not, then i dont know..

from my understanding unsub. loans charge interest as soon as the money is given out, sub. doesnt

and if i were you, id call fin aid to find out why you didnt qualify for Work Study..cuz thats really helpful in the long run

I would definitely call Financial Aid. Your book fees also seem to be higher. That's a bit odd..

yeah- i need to call them asap. this is 20,000 more than yalls COA.. crazy..

r u an international student?

hmm... when i'm in OPUS and click on finances, then view/accept financial aid... for about a week (like many of you) my link said "Aid year not set up for self-service." but now it has changed to "inquiry access denied."

did this happen to anyone else? has everyone's financial aid been activated by now so you can view it? i hope this isn't some kind of bad sign...

So I finally got an email telling me my aid was ready to view, but when I login to OPUS, it still says "Aid year not set up for self-service." I called Financial Aid and was told it takes 24 hours from when you receive the email to when the award can actually be viewed. Anyone else have this problem? It's very weird and driving me crazy!

did any of you that received financial aid get a weird letter from Emory financial aid office that your file is not complete and therefore an exact award amount cannot be determined until there is accurate W2 and tax info? I already got my award money and just have to accept or deny it..but i dont know whats up with this letter

hey there,

I am an international student starting this fall for MPH. I wanted to know if there are any international students who have received any sort of financial aid and how substantial was it? Also, how are you guys going about finding assistantships as international students are not eligible for work study program?