EMORY Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RH2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone..

I've seen quite a few people talk about Emory acceptances.. So I thought it would be nice to start a thread for all of us who will be there next year.. and perhaps share housing ideas, FINANCING opportunities, etc..

I'm an RPCV from west africa, will be in the Global Health Dept. specializing in Reproductive health and pop. studies..

Look forward to meeting you all!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't yet decided where I'm going, but I've also been accepted to Global Health with a Reproductive Health and Population Studies concentration, and, barring any exceptional financial aid offers from other schools (highly unlikely), there is about a 50% chance that I will end up at Emory.

One question I've been wanting to ask everyone: It seems that only a couple of years back, Emory was touted on SDN as being a good deal. I remember someone posting that Emory's cost of attendance came out to something like $35,000, cheaper than out-of-state tuition at many public schools. However, the projected cost right now is $25,435 per semester, to be precise. That is $100,000+ for the entire master's degree. Has tuition risen greatly over the past couple of years? Is Emory still considered a good deal?

It depends on your idea of a good deal. Compared to other top schools, yes it's a good deal. Overall its a ton of money (as are many MPH programs).

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't yet decided where I'm going, but I've also been accepted to Global Health with a Reproductive Health and Population Studies concentration, and, barring any exceptional financial aid offers from other schools (highly unlikely), there is about a 50% chance that I will end up at Emory.

One question I've been wanting to ask everyone: It seems that only a couple of years back, Emory was touted on SDN as being a good deal. I remember someone posting that Emory's cost of attendance came out to something like $35,000, cheaper than out-of-state tuition at many public schools. However, the projected cost right now is $25,435 per semester, to be precise. That is $100,000+ for the entire master's degree. Has tuition risen greatly over the past couple of years? Is Emory still considered a good deal?

I personally don't think so.

UT Houston is about 15k for the full masters. I could not imagine people paying more than 50k for a masters. 100k is just beyond belief.

That $25K per semester must include living expenses. Tuition and fees for a semester at Emory is listed as $13,000/semester (http://www.sph.emory.edu/cms/prospective_students/financial.html).

That is a little cheaper or about equal to many public schools out-of-state tuition (I know UW is $30,000/year) that I've seen and quite a bit cheaper than the $20,000/semester I've seen listed for other top private schools.

Yes, echo1112, that figure includes tuition, fees, living expenses, books/supplies, and health insurance. I have also heard that Emory's estimates for living expenses are a bit on the generous side, and that it might be possible to live comfortably on less.

Emory is definitely a good deal, which puts it at the top of my list. With my veterans benefits, it would cost me about $8000 for the entire program. I will be attending in the fall unless I get accepted into Tulane (which, unfortunately, will cost me $30,000).

If you got in to Emory GH you will most likely get in to Tulane.

I consider it a good deal... especially for global health.. I've weighed the other Ivy and private schools and not only is the tuition lower but cost of living in Atlanta is extremely lower than those such as BU, Columbia, JH etc..

There are also other financial opportunities such as merit awards, need-based awards, and the Practical Experience Program that Emory started to replace work study that is no longer offered.

For me, Emory is one of the only "affordable" schools I found.. but not only that its the only one that has the global reproductive health focus that I was looking for.

How many of you are going to Visit Emory??

I would love to go, because I think it would hugely impact my decision-making process—I put a lot of stock in my gut reactions to people and places. Unfortunately, I am not living in the U.S. right now, so it is not logistically/financially feasible. However, I would be very interested to hear others' impressions of the event. Last year's Visit Emory thread had some great information.

I got accepted to the epidemiology program and I'm about 75% decided that I will be going to Emory. I'm going to wait until after Visit Emory to make a final decision.

Random question - Do BSHE students attend school summer term? I know the BSHE is 4 semesters full time and I was wondering if it would be advisable to have the 4 semesters be Fall, Spring, Summer and Fall. Any thoughts? Potentially there is an internship people do in the summer. I haven't researched it too fully so apologies if it's a silly Q!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if they offer any of the required classes in the summer. Most students do their practicum or some type of internship or work experience during the summer.

Random question - Do BSHE students attend school summer term? I know the BSHE is 4 semesters full time and I was wondering if it would be advisable to have the 4 semesters be Fall, Spring, Summer and Fall. Any thoughts? Potentially there is an internship people do in the summer. I haven't researched it too fully so apologies if it's a silly Q!

Thank you!

I know Tulane offers some core courses during the summers. You can look at past class schedules to see what they have offered in the summer during previous years. You often get a tuition break during summer sessions, which is a plus.

http://www.sph.emory.edu/cms/current_students/enrollment_services/index.html

Last edited:
under my to do list, there are two enrollment things posted... i guess i'm in GH :))) i'm so happy thank you God and all of you for your help!!

Hi there! I was accepted to Emory's BSHE/Peace Corps Master's International program and plan to attend the "Visit Emory" event as well. Emory is my first choice.

I'm really looking forward to learning more about the practical experience opportunities. Has anyone received merit awards yet? Apparently they send them out by sometime in March...

Applied: Minnesota, Boston, Emory, Pittsburgh, Illinois, (all peace corps master's international programs), Univ. of Colorado Denver, Michigan, University at Buffalo, and USC.

Accepted: Emory's BSHE/peace corps program (my top choice), Pittsburgh's behav. & community health sciences program, Minnesota's Public Health Nutrition/Peace Corps program, and Boston's Soc./Behav. sciences/ Peace Corps program, UIC community health sciences, Michigan Health Behav & Health ed.

Rejections: none (yet?)
Waiting on everything else.

user_online.gif

Aero Congrats!!

Im an RPCV.. if you ever have any questions about PC feel free to PM me :)
Are you coming to Visit Emory??

Hey Emorites,

As I plan on transitioning to Atlanta from the great city of Manhattan, I am wondering if anyone knows of a decent (non-ghetto) and pleasant neighborhood to reside. Somewhere close to campus but not so much a college-y feel. Thanks for any tips!

Hello Bugs,

I'm super excited about coming to Emory.

Please is there any international student on this forum who will be wiring his/her acceptance fee. I need Emory's wiring details so I can send mine before the deadline and hoping that someone can help me with this info.

Thanks

The deposit/decision deadline is not until May 1st so you have plenty of time to send it by some other means (international money order)

Hey Emorites,

As I plan on transitioning to Atlanta from the great city of Manhattan, I am wondering if anyone knows of a decent (non-ghetto) and pleasant neighborhood to reside. Somewhere close to campus but not so much a college-y feel. Thanks for any tips!

Decatur and Virginia Highlands are nice areas to live in - vibrant neighborhoods, a lot of restaurants and bars/pubs. If you don't plan on driving to campus, it would be more convenient to live near Cliff shuttles stops (http://transportation.emory.edu/transportation/cliff/index.html).

Usually in June/July, there will be a lot of other new students looking to share apartments and people will be posting on Blackboard.

Decatur and Virginia Highlands are nice areas to live in - vibrant neighborhoods, a lot of restaurants and bars/pubs. If you don't plan on driving to campus, it would be more convenient to live near Cliff shuttles stops (http://transportation.emory.edu/transportation/cliff/index.html).

Usually in June/July, there will be a lot of other new students looking to share apartments and people will be posting on Blackboard.

That's how I plan to survive the program, get a roommate and each shell out about $500 a month and forget Emory's budgeted amount of $9,300 a semester. Sure it's not glamorous, but neither is paying off your student loans off till just before your kids go to college. In addition, if you do the Rollins practical experience program Emory will cut off an additional 2k a semester, which sounds small but over the course of the program could save you 8k. If you supplement that with a paid summer internship and perhaps something small on the side on the weekends you can really cut down on the overall costs of the program. And while this sounds silly and I might be having a captain obvious moment here, cook for yourself. Eat out once a week and cook yourself a big batch of food on the weekends. It saves so much money over the long run (thousands), is healthier, and saves you time.

how hard is it to get university housing at emory?

how hard is it to get university housing at emory?

A lot of public health students and other grad students live in Campus Crossings (http://www.campusapts.com/briarcliff/). That's as far as "university housing" goes - but CC is not affiliated directly with the school. Most people just find it convenient because it's furnished and fairly close to school. It's not too difficult to get an apartment there but you might want to sign up early - the three bedrooms usually go really fast.

A lot of public health students and other grad students live in Campus Crossings (http://www.campusapts.com/briarcliff/). That's as far as "university housing" goes - but CC is not affiliated directly with the school. Most people just find it convenient because it's furnished and fairly close to school. It's not too difficult to get an apartment there but you might want to sign up early - the three bedrooms usually go really fast.

Thanks for the information!!

Does anyone know if Decatur has public transport systems to Emory and/or how much a parking pass costs on campus??

Does anyone know if Decatur has public transport systems to Emory and/or how much a parking pass costs on campus??

Parking permits are ~$700 a year. There is a free Cliff shuttle - CCTMA - that goes to Emory from Decatur.

Do you many people bike from Decatur to campus??

There are people that bike from Decatur to campus. Keep in mind that Atlanta driving can be aggressive and while many of my friends do bike as their main form of transportation, it is best if you are experienced or are not afraid of cars right next to you.

As for Campus Crossings-the plus side is it comes furnished, they match you with people if you want to live in a 2 or 3 bedroom unit, and they have amenities such as a pool and a fitness center. The downside is it is way more expensive than you would pay at a neighboring complex and undergrads can now apply to live there as well. While that may not be a big deal for some, older students may not appreciate it.

Do you many people bike from Decatur to campus??

Hey Drivers, I have a couple of friends in Decatur and they both bike...most days...one of them is about 3 miles from school so he usually drives on rainy or really cold days (not many of them).

Also, if you do work study at CDC you can park there for free, it's directly across the street.

Thanks for the answer. I'm a confident cyclist as have been commuting daily for a couple years now. The downside is that I am commuting in one of the most bike friendly cities in the world, Portland. I feel confident enough to do it though! If all else fails, I can drive. Thanks for the tid bit on the CDC. I would REALLY love a job there.

Does anyone know about any associations/groups that offer services to immigrants in Decatur? My husband is from West Africa and would like to continue his english classes throughout next year..

And speaking of languages.. are there foreign language classes/opportunities at Emory where we can either pick up another language or improve what we already speak?

Does anyone know about any associations/groups that offer services to immigrants in Decatur? My husband is from West Africa and would like to continue his english classes throughout next year..

And speaking of languages.. are there foreign language classes/opportunities at Emory where we can either pick up another language or improve what we already speak?

Yes and Yes!

Clarkston is just a few miles down the street (really near Decatur), it's one of the most diverse areas by square mile in the US. It's a refugee settlement area and there are several places that offer english language courses and help. I'm not sure what part of West Africa he is from, but there are a lot of people there from all over the continent, he could probably continue his english and also make some connections to "home" at the same time. Are you coming to Visit Emory? I'll be helping out as an Ambassador, I'd be glad to talk with you about it and give you some information on some of the groups in Clarkston that the Master's International (Peace Corps) students work with and their services.

As for you, Emory is on block tuition (full time costs the same amount no matter how many credits you take)...credits at other schools on campus - law/business/nursing/medical - as well as some courses at Georgia Tech are included in your tuition. This includes language courses in undergrad or at the grad level. A lot of people take them (you can do pass/fail so you don't have to worry as much about the grade). That's something they will tell you more about at orientation as well.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions about Clarkston if you aren't coming to Visit Emory!

Awapi, thanks for your help! Yes, Im coming to Visit Emory and would love to chat. Im an RPCV so Im looking to get involved with those associations as well. Would you suggest living in Clarkston?

Would you suggest living in Clarkston?

I probably wouldn't suggest it, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you...it's just 4-6 miles from school, but that's a long way to commute in Atlanta traffic (not that people don't do it, but it's nice to avoid if you can). Most of the housing there is government subsidized for refugees, I'm sure you could live there, but it might be difficult. I think Decatur is a really happy medium, it's between school and Clarkston so you have easy access to both. You could definitely check it out while you're in Atlanta though and see what you think!

RPCVs/Masters International is really involved with refugee groups there, I think you'll really like it. I'm in Africa now working on a project, where were you an RPCV?

Oh okay, I see. Im an RPCV from Burkina Faso in West Africa. What about you?

How realistic is it to find a RA/TA opportunity at Rollins? There are several profs that I would love to work with.. Are these opportunities (outside the Practical Program) rare?

Oh okay, I see. Im an RPCV from Burkina Faso in West Africa. What about you?

How realistic is it to find a RA/TA opportunity at Rollins? There are several profs that I would love to work with.. Are these opportunities (outside the Practical Program) rare?

RA/TA positions are generally reserved for second year students, professors choose students that did well in their class to TA for the next year. Rarely you'll see teachers taking applications for TA positions because it's a new class (or some other reason), but I think it's generally second years that get them...for second years they are pretty common (so they have that plus Practical Experience), I don't personally know any first years who are TAs, but that doesn't mean there isn't the rare opportunity.

Hi All!

I've had a tough time choosing between various MPH programs, but after much deliberation, I've decided that Emory is the best place for me to focus on creating sustainable health programs in Spanish-speaking countries as well as look deeper into the connection between immigration and access to health here in the US.

Very excited about the program to say the least, but I'm unsure about the availability of outdoor recreation opportunities (road biking, trail running, kayaking, etc) outside of Atlanta. Does anyone have insight into this?

Also, do folks know when Practical Experience Awards are announced?

Thanks again!

RA/TA positions are generally reserved for second year students, professors choose students that did well in their class to TA for the next year. Rarely you'll see teachers taking applications for TA positions because it's a new class (or some other reason), but I think it's generally second years that get them...for second years they are pretty common (so they have that plus Practical Experience), I don't personally know any first years who are TAs, but that doesn't mean there isn't the rare opportunity.

Are these hourly positions of is there a tuition waiver for the second year TA positions to your knowledge? :)

Are these hourly positions of is there a tuition waiver for the second year TA positions to your knowledge? :)

I've never asked if they are all the same, but my friend who is a TA is paid hourly.

Very excited about the program to say the least, but I'm unsure about the availability of outdoor recreation opportunities (road biking, trail running, kayaking, etc) outside of Atlanta. Does anyone have insight into this?

Also, do folks know when Practical Experience Awards are announced?

There's a lot of great outdoors stuff to do that's not too far from Emory. Stone Mountain is less than 10 miles away which is fun to go camping at and has a short hike up the mountain where you can see all around Atlanta from the top. There's several lakes around, a bunch of my friends are at Allatoona Lake right now camping, hiking, and fishing. There's a park called Mason Mills that's about 3 miles from school that has some decent trails and every few weeks there is something called Critical Mass where bikers take over the streets, haha, a lot of RSPH students participate...It is a city so for anything too in touch with nature you'll have to travel a little bit, but GA is a really beautiful state and you can get to some unique and quality stuff within an hour or so. If you want to go a little farther, Chattanooga is just a couple of hours north and has really nice white water rafting on the Ocoee.

Practical Experience will be in your financial aide packet which should be coming out soon if you haven't gotten them yet.

I was told by financial aid that our packages will be coming out in the beginning of April!

Hi All!

Thanks again!

I’ll be at Emory this fall also and I’m actually from the Atlanta area. I guess it depends on what you mean by “outside” Atlanta, but the short answer is yes.

I can’t really speak all that specifically to the activities you mentioned, but I spent just about every weekend rock climbing, I just had to drive an hour or two to get to it and usually camped there for a night. Like Awapi said, Stone Mountain is close, there are a few lakes around the Metro Atlanta Area, and I think you could find some nice trails. But if you have the option of getting in a car and driving for an hour or two you can get to some really gorgeous, more isolated areas, if that’s what you’re into. I have friends that kayak, and although I don’t really know what makes for good kayaking, they go a lot and really love it. Chattanooga, TN is especially known for its outdoor scene, and it’s a 2 hour straight-shot Northwest up I-75. But even if you don’t go all the way up to Chattanooga, or you go up 85 to the Northeast, the entire North Georgia/Northeast Alabama/eastern Tennessee area is really gorgeous. Just as an example, check out Tallulah Gorge in Northeast GA. We go climbing there, and I always see people kayaking. Again, I don’t know what makes for good kayaking, but the Gorge itself, and the area in general, is really beautiful.

So that’s a really longwinded way of saying, yeah there’s plenty of outdoor options, especially if you have the option/desire to drive for an hour or two, and especially if you’re only going to be there for two years.

That's how I plan to survive the program, get a roommate and each shell out about $500 a month and forget Emory's budgeted amount of $9,300 a semester. Sure it's not glamorous, but neither is paying off your student loans off till just before your kids go to college. In addition, if you do the Rollins practical experience program Emory will cut off an additional 2k a semester, which sounds small but over the course of the program could save you 8k. If you supplement that with a paid summer internship and perhaps something small on the side on the weekends you can really cut down on the overall costs of the program. And while this sounds silly and I might be having a captain obvious moment here, cook for yourself. Eat out once a week and cook yourself a big batch of food on the weekends. It saves so much money over the long run (thousands), is healthier, and saves you time.

Wow. Thank you for the great advice. I am undecided between Emory, Hopkins, Yale, and Columbia. But, the information you mentioned above is really helpful towards my cost analysis.

Hello!

Anyone else going to Visit Emory this coming week? I'm pretty stoked. Seems like they really put thought and effort into the planning process.

I must say though that I am pretty impressed with Emory so far. The way they display themselves has been unparalleled by other schools I applied to. For example, they were amazing with communication (quick admissions process, quick responses to concerns, thorough responses, and overall swiftness); they have a large endowment for the RSPH; they've got badass facilities; they've got kickass opportunities I don't think you can find elsewhere; their epi program is the most applied-to epi program (at least according to ASPH); amazing campus; and somehow I just get the feeling that they actually do care about the students by the way they've treated me so far.

I'm just so excited to visit Emory now. Though I will only be there on Friday. So when I report back, I can only speak on that portion. Should still be fun nonetheless.

I'm going to Visit Emory as well and like yourself I'm just visiting on Friday. I agree that I have been very impressed with the program so far. It's the little things that make a difference, whether it be getting my admissions acceptance sent via Fedex or getting a call from the director of academic programs from the department of health management and policy (I'm an HPM concentration) asking if I had any questions or concerns. When I did have questions and concerns about the structure of the program, I didn't get a truncated email but rather another phone call which lasted about half an hour explaining the different structural options of my program and the many internships/practical experience opportunities that were offered.

I will only be visiting on Thursday. I'm sitting in on a couple of classes and taking the campus tour. I couldn't get in on a CDC tour, bit I might go on my own.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I will only be visiting on Thursday. I'm sitting in on a couple of classes and taking the campus tour. I couldn't get in on a CDC tour, bit I might go on my own.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

The CDC tour is just going to the museum which anyone can do on their own! Security requirements preclude them from being able to take prospective students any further than that without background checks. It's still really interesting and you can try on an old-school lab suit that's pretty neat.

I'm sure you know this OneDay 81, but for anyone else who might not have thought about it: to go on your own just remember that you will need government issued ID and you have to have a passport if you are not a US Citizen. Also, they search your car, etc so it might be easier to walk over from school and go in on foot if you want to cut down on hassle.

See you guys at the end of this week!

I'm going to Visit Emory as well and like yourself I'm just visiting on Friday. I agree that I have been very impressed with the program so far. It's the little things that make a difference, whether it be getting my admissions acceptance sent via Fedex or getting a call from the director of academic programs from the department of health management and policy (I'm an HPM concentration) asking if I had any questions or concerns. When I did have questions and concerns about the structure of the program, I didn't get a truncated email but rather another phone call which lasted about half an hour explaining the different structural options of my program and the many internships/practical experience opportunities that were offered.

Just my thought too about the little things. Sending us a nice leather portfolio was awfully generous! It's also a good sign that they have money to support student goals.

Awapi,

I was once at the CDC for this fellowship I was doing, and remembered that the CDC museum wasn't so big. Is this correct, or did I miss a large portion of it? I remember it was like just a corner of the first floor near the lobby.

Awapi,

I was once at the CDC for this fellowship I was doing, and remembered that the CDC museum wasn't so big. Is this correct, or did I miss a large portion of it? I remember it was like just a corner of the first floor near the lobby.

The corner of the "first" floor near the lobby is not that large, but it's the temporary exhibit which changes every few months. When I came to Visit Emory is was on Malaria and right now it is "The Quiet Sickness: A Photographic Chronicle of Hazardous Work in America" - which I think sounds pretty interesting since occupational health and safety is not something that we spend a lot of time on in the classes I've taken...anyhoo, I digress.

(the visitor entrance and temporary exhibit is on the second floor, but it seems like the first floor because it's ground level from the front)

Downstairs is a larger, permanent, exhibit on the history of the CDC and Public Health throughout the years, which is interesting to see even if you already know a lot about public health (that's also where you can try on the lab suit).

It seems like you may have missed part of it, so you should definitely go back and see it again if you have the chance! :)