Emory Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm living in Ann Arbor now and will be heading down to Emory in August. Woohoo!

whoho! hell yeah! so are you from AA or did you go to UM?

Members don't see this ad.

ald, about how many elective classes do epi students take the first semester?

It really depends on if you want to load up your schedule. Jena will be emailing you guys with her recommendations, but most EPIs take EPI 530+Lab, BIOS 500+lab, EPI 533 (SAS class that is only 1/2 semester), and either one of the other core classes or an elective. I took the BSHE core class my first semester. However, the first semester workload is pretty light, so you could take 2 electives if you wanted.

hi everyone,
i just got this email containing info on graduate housing options at emory.
there's a link for president parks,which is supposedly close to campus.I'm sure most of you have gotten the email already but just in case you haven't,here's the link http://www.campusapts.com

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I got that too but it seems like old news... they've been beating us over the head with those apartments for quite some time now... lol...

Hey, no I'm from NJ but I went to UM for school :)

oh I'm so glad to hear that! I was starting to get the idea that I would be the only Wolverine out there... it's reassuring to know I'm not gonna be the only one! What'd you do at UM and what are you going for at Emory?

PS on the bright note Emory's colors are also yellow (yeah I know maize) and blue... so we get to keep our UM stuff lol

hey. i'll be joining you guys at emory this fall also! it's kind of cool seeing so many fellow CA people on this thread. and yeah...i'm definitely stressing out about whether to bring my car over and about finding housing. thanks for all the advice here :)

oh I'm so glad to hear that! I was starting to get the idea that I would be the only Wolverine out there... it's reassuring to know I'm not gonna be the only one! What'd you do at UM and what are you going for at Emory?

PS on the bright note Emory's colors are also yellow (yeah I know maize) and blue... so we get to keep our UM stuff lol

You definitely won't be the only wolverine. I went to UM for undergrad and I met at a ton of people who went to Michigan at Visit Emory.

Hey guys,

on OPUS, under email addresses, I see that I have an Emory email address, but i'm not given a password or any notification about it. I have no idea how to access it.

Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks!

your email password is the same as your OPUS password but so far I have only been able to log into the outlook express email... still no luck signing into webmail... tried 3 browsers, get the same thing... I enter all my information, press login or whatever it is, it reloads and clears the entries, no error message... thought it was a cookies problem, but 3 browsers and 10-times checked settings say that it's not...

So... has anyone heard anything (ie emails, info) from emory/their depts since turning in the deposit? i haven't seen any messages on opus...new student orientation website isn't up yet either i guess.

just wondering :)

It looks like registration started last year in the beginning of June so I am guessing we'll be getting some stuff soon. I see a new student orientation link on the Rollins main page but when you click it prompts for username/password. I tried my opus info but it didn't work.

Members don't see this ad :)
still no luck signing into webmail... tried 3 browsers, get the same thing... I enter all my information, press login or whatever it is, it reloads and clears the entries, no error message... thought it was a cookies problem, but 3 browsers and 10-times checked settings say that it's not...

No worries, outlook express is what you'll use to access your email (same username and password as opus, blackboard, etc.). Also, I just checked my email from last year, and it looks like the first correspondence we had from Emory as new students was on May 29. The orientation blackboard site went live June 1.

I know what it feels like to be in limbo, but don't worry you'll be bombarded with info soon. :)

If you haven't come across this while looking at Emory's website, here's the link for info from orientation last year. I can't imagine it will change too much, and it will, at least, give you something to look at while you're waiting for this year's info.

http://www.sph.emory.edu/orientation/

If you haven't come across this while looking at Emory's website, here's the link for info from orientation last year. I can't imagine it will change too much, and it will, at least, give you something to look at while you're waiting for this year's info.

http://www.sph.emory.edu/orientation/
Thanks ald

Ya I found the link earlier, I'm thinking that the '10 orientation link won't change too much from the '09s either. There's definitely some helpful info to glance through :)

Just out of curiosity, what made all of you Wolverines choose Emory instead of UM?

ald, what would you say the workload is like? How many hours per night do people spend doing school work? (I'm trying to determine if I have time to take classes outside of Rollins while doing work-study)

Just out of curiosity, what made all of you Wolverines choose Emory instead of UM?

well I was rejected from U of M's MHSA... but that's #1 MHA program in the country so getting into that was almost impossible... I think if I would have applied for MPH at UM, I would have certainly gotten in, but eh... still probably would have chosen Emory... I think my primary reason for choosing Emory over Michigan would be wanting to have a new experience and meeting new people. (did my undergrad at UM lol) I've spent most of my life in Michigan and have many old time friends here which is why I never really felt the urgency to meet people from the school. So I went to class, right back home and just hung out with my old crowd. I don't want to do that in grad school. I feel like I will primarily need good connections when I graduate and I would not be motivated enough for it if I stayed at UM. So I would have still chosen Emory... the fact that it's also a great school adds to the argument. Then you add the metropolitan factor of Atlanta as opposed to small city setting of Ann Arbor... also add terrible unemployment in Michigan, and the fact that this state is boring as hell and you have numerous reasons for why Emory is better than UM. Oh yeah and did I mention the COLD?!!! last year I took out my phone to text in the winter without wearing gloves, and by the time I crossed the street, I couldn't feel two fingers on my right hand... fun... also something really bugs me about the people here (in Michigan, not UM)... I'm not sure if Emory will be different but hey, its worth a shot... there seems to be no middle ground when it comes to people. They are either cliquey douchebags, or backwoods hicks... very rarely do you get to meet people who have their stuff together... this state just does not seem like a place where I would want to spend more time... so as you can see, none of the reasons are really because UM is a bad school, just the crap around it piles up fast...

Last edited:
I see they took the orientation link down off the website. I wonder if that's because too many of us were trying to log in...

How many classes do you guys plan on taking the first semester?

How many classes do you guys plan on taking the first semester?

well the HPM program gives you 4 classes to take the first semester, 13 credits... I'll probably just stick to that the first semester... 2nd semester is only 9 credits! so more than likely I'll try to get into the swing of things 1st semester and then attempt to take some electives 2nd semester... that's my plan... for now lol...

Do you guys know when is the course registration date? I was required to send the financial certificate and passport documentation; however, i haven't done that yet. Will this affect my registration?

I did a quick search of the courses and looks like people start enrolling already. I tried calling the Admission office but it is closed until June 1st. I hope I am not missing anything.

Only second year students have registered for classes. Each dept's adaps enrolled first years for biostats and that's it. The tentative date is mid June (called a few days ago for other questions). An email will be going out very shortly announcing the exact date.

is anyone planning to live at president park?

were you guys able to access your email account with emory? i still haven't heard anything from them since i paid the deposit...

I was a little turned off by Preisdents Park..it was a bit shady to me.

I haven't heard anything but I did speak to someone in my dept. last week and they told me e-mails are going out soon with registration/orientation info.

I was a little turned off by Preisdents Park..it was a bit shady to me.

I haven't heard anything but I did speak to someone in my dept. last week and they told me e-mails are going out soon with registration/orientation info.

thanks! i wanted to make sure that i wasn't the only one haha.

is anyone from CA planning to live in the 3bed/3bath at campus crossings briarcliff?

JMM, why did you find president park shady?

is anyone from CA planning to live in the 3bed/3bath at campus crossings briarcliff?

3beds are all gone!

I'm from CA and I'm going with the 2 bed/2 bath at Campus Crossings.

Hey Heej...do you ever go on Gradcafe?

There is a poster there, Coyabean, who has a post over there about it "Their other community, President Park, has increased dramatically in rent after being acquired by Campus Communities (also manages Briarcliff). They market them as remodeled but that only means some cleaning and painting. The kitchen and bath are very, very, very old which would be fine at the OLD price of $500-$700. But at $987 - $1200 it sticks in my craw. Granted those prices include utilities but I can't help thinking I can do better. My Mom also hated them. She thought they looked unsafe. Take that with a grain of salt. No matter my age I am the baby -- and an only child -- and this is the woman who will only use BP gas in her car. LOL
But the complex is set far back off a busy street which makes it feel like it's down in a dark hole. And the front doors to the buildings are unsecured and there's no community police or security officer. "

I didn't actually view any of the apartments. I drove up and knew it wasn't for me. It's in a pretty busy area with a wide variety of people and the safety issue was big for me. It also didn't look as nice from the outside as other places I checked out. The exteriors matched with lack of security is what turned me off.

Has anyone tested their email yet? (On OPUS, next to your email address, it has a button to "test") And I'm pretty sure that the login for the email is your OPUS username and password.

Music, did you get yours to work?

my email works but I still haven't gotten any updates from the school or the department about what's going on... what's going on with them?

I would contact your department. I got an email this week from mine (BSHE) about a whole bunch of stuff as did my roommate (she's GH). Most of it talked about Blackboard and the Orientation website going live this coming week as well as info for registering in a few weeks.

HPM must be behind because I haven't heard anything either...

JMM, no, I didn't test it by hitting the test button. But I did log onto Outlook Express directly, and it worked.

I haven't heard anything for Epi either. Hopefully, we'll hear sometime this week!

what is the incoming & outgoing servers when accessing the mail through outlook express? this is my first time using it :oops:

heej, not sure exactly... however I know that Office 2010 automatically sets it all up for you, all you need is full username (including the @emory.edu) and your pass and Outlook sets everything up for ya...(not sure about 2007) I hate Outlook so I don't really use it, but thought I'd share what little I know about it lol... bottom line: get 2010 :D

heej, not sure exactly... however I know that Office 2010 automatically sets it all up for you, all you need is full username (including the @emory.edu) and your pass and Outlook sets everything up for ya...(not sure about 2007) I hate Outlook so I don't really use it, but thought I'd share what little I know about it lol... bottom line: get 2010 :D

i finally set it up but it keeps telling me that my username and password don't match. argh. we use the opus one, right?

I used the short opus one and it worked but I guess you can try using the full [email protected] too if that doesn't work... can't hurt I guess...

heej, my OPUS username and password worked for Outlook. What do you mean by you "set it up"? I went to the RSPH website, and then went to "RSPH Resources" and then "Emory Exchange Web Access." I typed in my OPUS info and it worked.

Speaking of OPUS, I noticed that Biostats has been scheduled for me. But I haven't heard anything from RSPH.

heej, my OPUS username and password worked for Outlook. What do you mean by you "set it up"? I went to the RSPH website, and then went to "RSPH Resources" and then "Emory Exchange Web Access." I typed in my OPUS info and it worked.

Speaking of OPUS, I noticed that Biostats has been scheduled for me. But I haven't heard anything from RSPH.

yea, it works through the web access for me too. i meant through the outlook express program on my laptop.

i've been signed up for biostats too.

Are you all epi (that have been signed up for biostats and have it showing)?

If any of you need furniture, I have a nice matching bedroom set with queen-sized bed and box spring. I also have another set: a kitchen table, 4 chairs, coffee table and 2 end tables that all match. I'm also selling two couches (not as nice as the kitchen/living room set, but very cheap) and a double-sized matress, box-spring and bed frame.

Leaving the state in <6 weeks so I need to sell, PM me if interested.

I got my orientation info about an hour or so ago... I guess HPM has revised their fall requirements... now I need to take 16 credits in the fall instead of 13 like the schedule showed last year... eh well... buuuuut the problem for me is with biostats... I was not registered for the class (as far as I can tell) and whenever I search for BIOS, it does not return any results (if they schedule me for the 8am class later, I'm going ape****)... also I don't know about you guys in other departments but the 4 HPM classes I have to take all meet once a week for 3 hours... oh man I ****in hate that... you have no idea how much I hate 3 hour classes... sorry but I'm just not very happy right now with this...

PS I hate them almost as much as waking up early in the morning...

There is either the 830am MW or 2pm TTH Biostats.

Epi people, when are you scheduled?

I am 99% sure that BSHE people will take up one of the 830 sections as one of our core classes conflicts with the 2pm timeslot.

Wanted to add that I have a bunch of 3 hours classes as well. As do my friends at other schools. I think it's just part of grad school. While some sections may be offered twice a week many are going to be once a week.