Emory Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamal2toys

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is designed mainly for the Emory entering class of 2005. The purpose of the thread is to share information about the school, city of Atlanta, and what the general expectations will be. Will anyone be attending the Emory Revisited Program in March 05? I’m really exited about Emory and looking forward to meeting my future classmates and I guess the best place to start will be on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

RunMimi said:
When is the revisit weekend? I'm assuming this is their name for second look? I thought I read someone that they only host one for minorities.

Um, I asked my interview if they have a second look weekend and they said they didn't -- they only have something for minorities. I haven't been accepted, though, so I prolly know less than either of you.

RunMimi said:
When is the revisit weekend? I'm assuming this is their name for second look? I thought I read someone that they only host one for minorities.

I happened to speak to Erica today and she said that Emory is having a revisit/second-look (I've heard different schools call it either one) for everyone for the very first time this year! :) If you're traveling from outside Atlanta, you can get in as early as Thursday April 14, but all the main activities start on the 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
She got the OK for the second look weekend during my interview dates, so it's official!

i went to Emory for undergrad so if any of yall have any questions regarding the area, places to live, places to go, etc. feel free to PM me

i hope i get in. i'd love to check out the school again and party in atlanta.

To those of you going to be at Emory next year, let me be one of the firsts to welcome you. I'm a current M1 at Emory, so if you have any questions whatsoever, please feel free to post on here to or send me a PM. Emory's a great place, and you'll all love it here.

Good luck to those of you still waiting.

LauraMac said:
i hope i get in. i'd love to check out the school again and party in atlanta.

I have an interview on Feb. 18th...anybody have any helpful tips? Thanks

I think the Emory housing project is great but at the same time i think its a bit pricy. Any other alternatives? and does anyone knows when Emory sends out her financial award package?

kamal2toys said:
I think the Emory housing project is great but at the same time i think its a bit pricy. Any other alternatives? and does anyone knows when Emory sends out her financial award package?

Try searching apartmentguide.com for off-campus alternatives--the best areas to search are Emory and Decatur...parts of Virginia Highlands and midtown could also work if you want to feel a bit closer to the city and don't mind commuting a few extra minutes.

As for apartment prices, it can vary depending on what kind of apartment you are looking for. For one bedroom, it can cost you from anywhere from 600 to 900. I have a one bedroom apartment and I am paying 650 for a pretty decent apartment. Two bedroom apartment will cost anywhere between 800-1400 dollars. You can easily found pretty decent 2 bed/ 2bath apartment around Emory for 900-1200. It is nice to live on the Clairmont Campus but it is little pricy, you can find other apartment close by and probably save 50 - 100 dollars a month. any question about Emory just PM me and post here, i will try to check this thread often as I can.

Joseph
Emory Class of 2008.

this is my opinion of the grade system, I think it really doesn't matter. Even though other schools have pass and fail system, they stay have to rank you so it is basically same thing as the grade system except that you don't get a letter grade on the tests. The grade system will only matter if you are grade driven and only cares about grades. I know we were all once pre meds and cared so much about grades, but in med school I think you should study because you want to and you are interested in it. So if you really care about grades I guess grade system can add little stress to your studying. But I think that I would study as hard and stress as much about tests even if I went to school with P/F. Most people in our class do well on the exam, our averages in our tests are around solid B. To me grades doesn't matter as much. I don't think you should judge Emory because its grade system, because it is not that important. This is just my opinion some people might disagree, that's fine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Pass or fail versus the grade system, I think neither should be a problem. The fact of life is that there will always be competition. It’s a tough competition to get into medical school and I bet it will be tougher for residency (certain programs). And if not competing with fellow applicants or classmates, one will still have to compete for other things in life. The grading system in Emory will definitely foster a competitive environment but I don’t think that should bar anyone from achieving his or her set goals.

Hi Ninebillion,

Congrats on your admission. I understand your feelings about the curriculum. I will state that the curriculum is an on going changing thing, and they School has definitely revamped it over the past few years. The curriculum is more traditional than many other medical schools. However, I personally feel that it's not a bad thing. There is attention to detail because it may be more traditional, but in fact, I think I'm learning a whole heck of a lot of information. After every joint, you look back on the past few weeks and the exam and you really come out feeling that you learned a TON. Whether or not the exam went well, you have a feeling of awe of the amount of 'stuff' that you've memorized.
Yes, the transcript service is a big deal. I find it to be a great resource -- and just that, a resource. It's not the end all study method for anybody. I'm sure there are people in my class that spend hours looking at transcripts (heck, I do!). But at the same time, they look at their lecture notes, they look at book, etc. While many people don't come to class, the majority of the class does. I go to class every time, unless I'm ill or something. And I have to tell you truthfully, that for the first year class, the majority of people are there. Again, it's a personal choice. Some people feel like the get more out of studying on their own. That again is a personal decision. And you have to make the same choice WHEREVER you go to med school.
About Joint exams... There is a cycle. People hardcore study for the two-three weeks before a joint and then take a few weeks to lightly study and relax. Personally, I think this is greater preparation for the boards. You will need to be very diligent during the few weeks before the Boards. What is studying for the joints doing? Just that. We learn to digest a vast array of information in many different classes in a few weeks. This is not to say that people don't study before those few weeks before a joint. People do. You have to keep up. Not keeping up can make medical school horrible. And think about this -- USMLE step 1 is a LONG, LONG exam covering basically everything that you learned over the past two years of medical school. The Joint exams are anywhere between 4.5-6 hours long during the first year of med school. While that may seem rough (and it is, I'm not going to lie), what better prep for taking the USMLE Step 1. From my friends that are in the third year, they say that the board exam feels like another joint. You develop a certain stamina, and I think Emory does that well. It's good to have a few weeks to relax and taking studying slowly. All med schools have their own style. In my opinion, it's better this way than have an exam every week and be stressed every single day of your first two years.

The preclinical years are rigorous -- and Emory knows it. And Emory is proud of it. We go into the clinics with a really good scientific base and are able to hone those skills in the 3rd and 4th years.

You should have been given last year's match list at the interview. If you don't have one, I'm sure you could call up the admissions office and have one sent/faxed/emailed.

And I don't know exact board scores. I do know that a large percentage of Emory students score in the 99th percentile every year and even a great percentage scores in the 90th percentile. Ask the admission office for more specific information.

I hope that helps some. Please feel free to PM me or post other questions here.

Good luck!

Johnisit1234

ninebillion said:
I really enjoyed my visit to Emory and Atlanta, and I'm fortunate for my acceptance. I think I'll be attending Emory next year, but I feel kind of lukewarm about the curriculum. I don't mind the grading system at all, but a lot of students I met told me that they rarely went to class, that the teachers weren't that great, and that they rely on the student transcription service for notes. Every med school has its fair share of bad profs and no-big-deal-if-you-miss-it classes, but I didn't meet *any* students who felt enthusiastic about the curriculum. Also, because the "joints" exams are every six weeks, people get into a very vicious cycle of "party hard for two weeks, study lite for two weeks, cram for two weeks, take test, and repeat." I know I'm not disciplined enough to break that cycle, and I fear that it may hurt when time comes for the USMLE Step 1.

Does anyone know how Emory students do on the boards? Does anyone have a match list? Can anyone from Emory who reads this thread comment?

Thanks a lot -- I loved the people and the school, but I really don't know what to think of the preclinical years.

bidster said:
There are tons of options for living in the Emory area, but there is definitely a premium on being close to campus.

As for a good on campus option--check out http://www.emory.edu/HOUSING/CLAIRMONT/cc.html and http://www.emory.edu/HOUSING/GRAD/gradhouse.html.

hey bidster. thanks for the info.

people have been telling that it costs more to live on campus than to live off cmapus, but from wut u said, it almost seems like i'll save more money in the long run living on campus. plus, talk about convenience!

is it hard to find on campus housing for med students? is it relatively quiet? how much does it cost per month? is there a kitchen?

I wouldn't have any problem living off campus... it's just that i dun wanna live off campus by myself in an apartment. jeez, i'd get depressed. :laugh:

Also, how do people find roommates? I know there's something like a housing weekend in may, but i live in cali. too far away from georgia.

bidster said:
The Clairmont grad housing is available to all grad and professional school students--so the grad complex is a mix of people in law, public health, medicine, theology, graduate school etc programs. The apartments all have full kitchens, and for the grad apartments, there is also one bathroom for every bedroom (so essentially you get your own bathroom regardless of whether you have roommates). I can't speak to the process/difficulty of getting a clairmont grad apartment though...anyone?

Thanks for the response. i appreciate it.

So if i choose a 3 bedroom apartment, then would they assign random roommates for the other two rooms? Or is there an option to room with people you want?

Congrats to all accepted, and thanks to the Emory folks that are helping us 09ers out.

Anyone know if they've started inviting folks for the Woodruff Fellowship thing? Anyone know when that will be?

dc

I live in the Grad Clairmont Campus... so I can definitely help you out with that info -

They've changed the system a bit for this upcoming year, but I assume that the general process will remain the same.

If you want to live in a 3 bdrm apt, you can usually find other grad students to live with you. And if you know people you'd like to live with, you can ask to live with them, and you'll be put in the same room. What's even better? Housing weekend. Can't make it to housing weekend? Email Erica or post on M1Extra (you'll see what the means over the summer). You'll also receive information on people running the housing weekend. All of these resources will help you locate other first year med students who may want to live in Clairmont Campus.

And generally speaking, it's not too difficult to get a Clairmont apt, if you stay on top of things. If you wait until the middle of summer, yes you will have problems. If you begin the process in late spring, you'll be fine. As far as I know, all the med students that wanted to live here were able to.

Johnisit1234

kwanny said:
Thanks for the response. i appreciate it.

So if i choose a 3 bedroom apartment, then would they assign random roommates for the other two rooms? Or is there an option to room with people you want?

Hi Dan,

I don't know the exact dates. Look at the sheet you were given at the interview about the Woodruff Scholarship (and the general calendar of admissions dates). It outlines more specific information with some dates. I'm sure if you want more detailed info, you could call the admissions office or email the world's favorite Admissions person, Erica. :)

Good luck with that!

Johnisit1234

bigdan said:
Congrats to all accepted, and thanks to the Emory folks that are helping us 09ers out.

Anyone know if they've started inviting folks for the Woodruff Fellowship thing? Anyone know when that will be?

dc

Anybody have that sheet telling about the Woodruff Scholarships? I can't find mine. What are the details? Thanks :)

Johnisit1234 said:
I live in the Grad Clairmont Campus... so I can definitely help you out with that info -

thanks for the info, johnisit.

just wondering, how have u liked the clairmont apartments? would u choose to live there again if u had the choice?

also, do u live with random roommates? how has that been?

Clairmont campus are nice and convienent to live in, but those who are looking to save money, you can probably find decent 2 bedroom apartment and save 50 to 100 dollars a month. The price of 2 bedroom apartment at clairment for furnished is 736 and unfurnished is 700. You can easily found decent 2 bed / 2 bath apartment for 900-1000 dollars. So if you get an apartment for 1000 dollars, then that is 500 dollars. Plus utilities that would be around 600 dollars. Plus 30 dollars per month for parking that is 630. So you can save 100 dollars a month you save.

Personally i think the clairmont area and the surrounding is kind of upscale and will be a bit expensive. I`m looking into some apartments around Gwinette, around the Discover Mills mall to be more precise. These apartment are new and u can get a 2bdr apt for about 650. Plus the commute is only about 15mile down 85 to Emory.

kamal2toys said:
Personally i think the clairmont area and the surrounding is kind of upscale and will be a bit expensive. I`m looking into some apartments around Gwinette, around the Discover Mills mall to be more precise. These apartment are new and u can get a 2bdr apt for about 650. Plus the commute is only about 15mile down 85 to Emory.

While I agree that living further from Emory will be cheaper, I would HIGHLY suggest living closer to campus your first year. Med school is an interesting ride, and it's good to be near campus. Especialy first semester -- you're going to be going to the anatomy lab at odd hours. Being close to campus will enable you to do that with more ease. Just a thought. I think Emory encourages first year students to live near campus.
Also, traffic on 85 will be annoying that early in the morning...

To Kwanny -- as I think I mentioned in one post above, you can try to find roommates through the med school. Email the volunteers who will set up housing weekend or Erica (when the time is right). Random roommates -- for the most part, they're all normal, friendly people. You have to remember, they're all grad students.
I haven't totally decided if I'm living at Clairmont Campus yet again. The convenience is great, and that may be the deciding factor.

kamal2toys said:

Are you from Atlanta?! That commute is going to be a killer.

kamal2toys said:

ramblinwreckie and johnisit don't kid....driving on I-85 during morning rush hour can drain all of your patience for the day. Coming from Gwinnett is made difficult by the fact that it's a dense suburban area, and the commute towards downtown is going to be that much more crowded because everyone is trying to get into the city in the morning. 15 miles can turn into at least a 30-45 minute commute easily--not even counting what happens after you get off the exit ramp.

It's true that the sticker price for places really close to Emory can be inflated, but if you look through housing ads and housing guides, there are still a lot of less-expensive options--like converted houses, sublets, even some apartment complexes that are less commercial--that you can find a good place within 10-15 mins so you don't want to pull your hair out commuting in the morning ;) Some apartment complexes also offer signing deals in late spring (when a lot of people are looking for housing for the next year) so those are something to inquire about as well.

Question about biochem...

I know that Emory "highly recommends" taking biochem before entering the med school, but I just wanted to know wut y'all thought about that. I didn't take biochem in college, and I only took the min amount of science courses possible to apply to med schools... Do most emory students have prior biochem knowledge before matriculating? Or do most students start learning biochem from scratch?

It's just that I'm not in school or anything, and I have the option to take a biochem class at a local college around this area, if I need to. So let me know, guys. I appreciate it.

kwanny said:
Question about biochem...

I know that Emory "highly recommends" taking biochem before entering the med school, but I just wanted to know wut y'all thought about that. I didn't take biochem in college, and I only took the min amount of science courses possible to apply to med schools... Do most emory students have prior biochem knowledge before matriculating? Or do most students start learning biochem from scratch?

It's just that I'm not in school or anything, and I have the option to take a biochem class at a local college around this area, if I need to. So let me know, guys. I appreciate it.

I think it's just that -- recommended. Biochem is a rather rigorous course, and it will definitely help to have had some of the info before. However, it is not necessary, and a lot of the information in the course will probably not have been taught in a college biochem course. I had taken biochem before I came to Emory, and it helped. That's not to say that those who didn't take the class didn't do well. Again, it helps and is recommended, but you won't suffer if you don't.

I would really, really, really advise the poor poster who is thinking about living in Gwinnett to reconsider that option before medical school. Atlanta traffic is something you really don't want to underestimate. If you're working, fine. It's okay to sit a bit and unwind after a day at work or sip your coffee on the way in. Take in some talk radio, pump up the radio, whatever. But during school, I don't think you want to deal with this.

Also, while it's not so bad getting off on the exit ramp from 85 at Druid Hills, getting on is not fun during rush hour. You'll have to go through multiple lights, and traffic backs up to the point where everyone is just sitting there while the light is green.

If you all are looking for a fairly inexpensive place right near Emory, check out this place:

http://www.gables.com/PropertyTour/PropertyHome.cfm?propid=151

I lived there, and while it's not the newest complex in the Emory area, it was clean, forested (major plus given the recent trend to build these concrete monstrosities with flat lawns), and only 5-15 minutes (depending on traffic) from your parking space in the parking garage at Emory. Very affordable, I think you'll agree.

It's been several years since I lived there, but I can't imagine it would go down that quickly.

I really hope I'm able to join you all on this thread soon. I have no idea what's taking them so long. I should have received my acceptance letter ages ago. ;)
azzangel.gif

Hey y`all, I not trying to get ahead of myself or anything like that. Just want to see if anyone knows when in the white coat ceremony at Emory. I know that orientation starts in the last week in July but I need to know the specific date for the white coat ceremony. I tried calling the Ad office but I got the answering machine.

Johnisit1234 said:
I think it's just that -- recommended. Biochem is a rather rigorous course, and it will definitely help to have had some of the info before. However, it is not necessary, and a lot of the information in the course will probably not have been taught in a college biochem course. I had taken biochem before I came to Emory, and it helped. That's not to say that those who didn't take the class didn't do well. Again, it helps and is recommended, but you won't suffer if you don't.
thanks for the response, johnisit. The reason why I asked is this... Emory also "highly recommends" having a car on campus... but isn't it almost necessary to have a car there? that's why it made me wonder wehther having a prior biochem knowledge is also like a necessity...

Guess I'll just suck it up and learn it from scratch once I start med school.

Oh yeah, that reminds me... are there any med students without a car there? I have a real sh*tty car in cali, and I'm thinking whether it's even worth the money to ship it to atlanta.

RunMimi said:
"Finalist return to Emory in early Spring as guests of the University. Woodfruff interviews are conducted at that time, together with a luncheon and dinner with faculty and current Fellows."

I also remember reading somewhere that they invited 12 for 5 scholarships (straight MD only) but that the other 7 are garunteed partial scholarships. Also the timeline states that the selection of Woodruff fellows in medicine is in late march, but that's probably when the weekend is, not the invites. Oh and I heard they are mostly based on community service, not really numbers/academics.

I emailed June about it and this is what I got:

"We won't begin the Woodruff review process until mid-March. We will
extend invitations to Woodruff finalists during the third week of March."

I was getting worried.

kamal2toys said:
Hey y`all, I not trying to get ahead of myself or anything like that. Just want to see if anyone knows when in the white coat ceremony at Emory. I know that orientation starts in the last week in July but I need to know the specific date for the white coat ceremony. I tried calling the Ad office but I got the answering machine.

White coat is not until October, so don't worry about it now. They'll give you more info about it in the summer. I don't know you exact date, but ours was
Oct. 9. Yeah, I know Emory starts earlier than most, but our white coat is also later than most. After having done your first joint and all, the white coat means a lot.

kwanny said:
thanks for the response, johnisit. The reason why I asked is this... Emory also "highly recommends" having a car on campus... but isn't it almost necessary to have a car there? that's why it made me wonder wehther having a prior biochem knowledge is also like a necessity...

Oh yeah, that reminds me... are there any med students without a car there? I have a real sh*tty car in cali, and I'm thinking whether it's even worth the money to ship it to atlanta.

Biochem and car are very different, as I'm sure you know.
There are a few people in my class that I know don't have cars. But the majority do. Atlanta is very spread out, so it definitely helps to have one. I would say it's definitely highly recommended (more so than biochem), but then again, those that don't have cars are doing perfectly fine.

Ramblin-

Good look on the info re: Woodruff. The only thing better than Emory '09 would be Emory '09 without tuition to pay back.

Thanks.

dc

ramblinwreckie said:
I emailed June about it and this is what I got:

"We won't begin the Woodruff review process until mid-March. We will
extend invitations to Woodruff finalists during the third week of March."

I was getting worried.

Thanks for the info! I loved Emory, and I was getting worried, too. ;)

Has anyone heard anything from Emory this go-round?

Is Emory still interviewing? Has anyone received a call recently?

sk1684 said:
Is Emory still interviewing? Has anyone received a call recently?

According to my friend that interviewed this past Monday, it was their last interview day (on monday).

No calls yet about admits. I'm hoping I get in during this next round. Isn't this the last round to get in (the March date)?

You won't be the only one! I am a career changer from a totally different field, so I went back to a post-bac program to do only the minimum required pre-med classes, which did not include biochem. I was thinking of looking through a book this spring, but then I had a reality check and realized I'm looking at my last few months of freedom now, so to heck with it...none of us would have made it this far and been accepted at Emory without proving we can handle the academics...we've handled tough claasses before and we'll do it again. As for now...just live and enjoy NOT taking biochem!!

Tigger27 said:

You won't be the only one! I am a career changer from a totally different field, so I went back to a post-bac program to do only the minimum required pre-med classes, which did not include biochem. I was thinking of looking through a book this spring, but then I had a reality check and realized I'm looking at my last few months of freedom now, so to heck with it...none of us would have made it this far and been accepted at Emory without proving we can handle the academics...we've handled tough claasses before and we'll do it again. As for now...just live and enjoy NOT taking biochem!!
Sweet.

You're coming to Emory for sure next year, Tigger?

kwanny said:
Sweet.

You're coming to Emory for sure next year, Tigger?

I'll be there! :)

Just heard on the news... this crazy Nichols guy went on shooting rampage to escape from a court in Atlanta.

Hope you folks in Atlanta are doing alright. Be careful, guys... :cool:

He's (supposedly) been caught; ya gotta take the bad with the good when looking at any big city.

I am just thrilled with Emory - even though I'm filling out this freakin' PROFILE that they require and my parents are getting a little peeved with all the "how much are you worth" questions that I have to answer. I hope that I can work out the finances to go there.

Good luck to all.

dc

Yay, just received a call from Dr. Schwartz and Erica about the Woodruff Scholars Weekend. Anyone else going?

ramblinwreckie said:
Yay, just received a call from Dr. Schwartz and Erica about the Woodruff Scholars Weekend. Anyone else going?
GoodLuck Ramblinwreckie! :luck: When is it?

Tigger27 said:
GoodLuck Ramblinwreckie! :luck: When is it?

thanks, tigger! there's a dinner on april 1st, and then the interviews are on the 2nd.