"Emergency Surgery" and other app mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBlue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My transcript has my EM elective listed as "Emergency Surgery". I am having the school fix it but I go on my first interview on Monday and am wondering if I should point it out to the program. My SLOR has my grade on it so I am not sure how important this is. Also, my Dean's letter has my GPA .2 lower than it really is (my transcript has the correct GPA) and it has a blank space for my EM comments. Again, my SLORs have comments so I am inclined to think it doesn't really matter but I just wanted to make sure. Should I be more anal about getting my applicatin fixed on ERAS or just update the programs as I interview there? Also, will these things matter to a program?

Members don't see this ad.

My transcript has my EM elective listed as "Emergency Surgery". I am having the school fix it but I go on my first interview on Monday and am wondering if I should point it out to the program. My SLOR has my grade on it so I am not sure how important this is. Also, my Dean's letter has my GPA .2 lower than it really is (my transcript has the correct GPA) and it has a blank space for my EM comments. Again, my SLORs have comments so I am inclined to think it doesn't really matter but I just wanted to make sure. Should I be more anal about getting my applicatin fixed on ERAS or just update the programs as I interview there? Also, will these things matter to a program?

Hard to say if these things would matter or not. I tend to think not much, but get them cleaned up anyway.

does it look bad if you spell your name wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am fairly new at all of this myself, but I would think that an applicant who is skilled in emergency surgery (laparoscopy for ovarian torsion, trauma Whipple, burr holes, etc.) would have a competitive advantage at most programs. Why call a surgeon and put up with their attitude when your intern can just do the case in the trauma bay?

I put the wrong date for my Step 2CK. It was supposed to say 2007, but I accidentaly put the wrong year and it says 2008. I freaked out about it at first, but I've been getting a lot of interviews so either they didn't notice or figured what I meant.