jewel_123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in high school and I'm planning on applying to the University of Pittsburgh for college because of their Emergency Medicine Program, it allows you to train as a paramedic as a bachelors degree. It is a 2 year program so you apply to it in your sophomore year, I'm planning on taking the premed requisites in the first 2 years and then applying to the program. I'm planning on pursuing a career in Trauma Surgery so I that I could gain some hands-on skills most premeds don't get. Although having your EMT-B certification is a requirement to apply, so if I don't get in I can still work as an EMT. But my question is that if its worth it to become and EMT and work part-time as one in college? How hard would it be to find work as a part-time EMT?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not worth it to do anything that lowers your grades and mcat. Only give superfluous time to the other stuff...your emt hand skill don't really mean anything

Reactions: 1 user
Realistically, you will not be using any of the skills you learn as an EMT during your pre-clinical years of medical school, meaning at best you'll remember the concept of the techniques. If you want to do something during your undergrad to pick up useful skills for medical school, there are lots of opportunities to shadow or work part time as a scribe. The thing that will hands down help you the most in terms of skill is being able to follow the train of thought of a physician and learning how to type quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Realistically, you will not be using any of the skills you learn as an EMT during your pre-clinical years of medical school, meaning at best you'll remember the concept of the techniques. If you want to do something during your undergrad to pick up useful skills for medical school, there are lots of opportunities to shadow or work part time as a scribe. The thing that will hands down help you the most in terms of skill is being able to follow the train of thought of a physician and learning how to type quickly.
I can back this up. Spending time around good physicians is very helpful for learning how to interact they patients. Additionally, getting good, face-to-face experience with patients (say, as a front office volunteer in a clinic) is excellent prep for med school and working with standardized patients.