Emergency Medicine Class Matching in 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There really aren't huge difference between the "top" programs around the country. While county programs may have a more diverse patient population or the 'underserved" patient, when you look at academic places I don't think there is a huge difference in what you mentioned above between places like OHSU, Davis, Stanford, Denver, UCLA, Vandy, UTSW, etc.

But I do agree with you that it's good to have some reason other than the outdoor activities or city activities for liking a program, and at the same time I do think it's a shame that you can't just be totally honest and say that you are happiest in x, y, z due to the environment, city, and COL in the area. After all, most of the faculty stayed in the area or migrated there after training for one main reason....

If I had to go to residency in NYC I would be depressed beyond all belief. Same with U of Nebraska. Some places offer great training, diversity, teaching, etc and aren't even on my radar b/c of where they are.
Yeah..most are very similar but I disagree I do think their is a huge difference bw UTSW which has patients out the wazoo and OHSU which only sees like 40K a year? idk

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah..most are very similar but I disagree I do think their is a huge difference bw UTSW which has patients out the wazoo and OHSU which only sees like 40K a year? idk

There's 5 sites and ~220k patients to be seen at OHSU. I think both put out excellent clinicians that are more than capable at handling whatever comes there way. Quantity isn't always quality, and the teaching typically is low when you are being forced to push the meat as fast as possible.

As I’m thinking about wrapping up residency, I had a few random musings about applying for residency, doing well as a resident, and the OHSU Emergency Medicine program. Like all things on SDN, buyer beware.

Consider Income Based Repayment for your loans. I poo-pooed this because I am in a three year program and most EM community practices are not non-profit. What I didn’t realize is that your yearly payment is based off last year’s income. Meaning, during my intern year I would have essentially payed nothing and had one less year of loans to pay off. Your second year will be based off six months of a resident salary. Still a low payment. Since I didn’t do this, I have 10 years of super high monthly payments instead of seven. If you are in a four year program, do a fellowship, or go into academics, you will save even more money....................

Good luck with your career!

Could you elaborate more on this topic. How does the math formula work in which you only have to pay only 7 years as opposed to the standard 10 year track? I am a novice when it comes to the whole debt repayment thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you elaborate more on this topic. How does the math formula work in which you only have to pay only 7 years as opposed to the standard 10 year track? I am a novice when it comes to the whole debt repayment thing.

He wasn't saying he only had to pay 7 years. He was saying that he only would have had to make a high payment for 7 years instead of 10.

Ugh losing patience with some of these interviews. Will be glad to be done on friday. Just got hounded recently on why I am applying to this program and apparently my answers were not adequate. Mentioned wanting to be back in the midwest and one of the unique aspects of their program. Tempted to just say hey look im a DO applying to MD programs. I shotgunned by location and then narrowed it down a bit.

Ugh losing patience with some of these interviews. Will be glad to be done on friday. Just got hounded recently on why I am applying to this program and apparently my answers were not adequate. Mentioned wanting to be back in the midwest and one of the unique aspects of their program. Tempted to just say hey look im a DO applying to MD programs. I shotgunned by location and then narrowed it down a bit.

Yeah, it is an okay question but I think it is silly to expect some amazing unique answer from everyone. People apply to tons of places to fill the rank list, it is all part of the game.

I've been telling programs that I shotgunned it. No one was offended afaik, most responded with telling me they appreciated my honesty. I narrowed it down to telling them a few reasons why this specific program out of the 180 or whatever, but that was about it.

Yeah, it is an okay question but I think it is silly to expect some amazing unique answer from everyone. People apply to tons of places to fill the rank list, it is all part of the game.

They want to hear that they are a unique snowflake just like we do.

I've been telling programs that I shotgunned it. No one was offended afaik, most responded with telling me they appreciated my honesty. I narrowed it down to telling them a few reasons why this specific program out of the 180 or whatever, but that was about it.

That's a lot better than "well, I needed a warm up interview. You were within driving distance and I had a friend that said I could crash on his couch."

colt45WEB.jpg

I've been telling programs that I shotgunned it. No one was offended afaik, most responded with telling me they appreciated my honesty.

Oh thank goodness. When I was asked that, I told the truth about it being a cross of geography, what I could gather about the program, and what I could find out online. I didn't attempt to verbally air hump the program.

Nobody seemed offended by my lack of gushing.

I told them I accidently checked their box on ERAS. Went over well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh... Anyone understand the point of IU's "update" emails?

Same point as applicants sending updates of their application to programs. Will it change anyones rank list? Doubtful. But it shows active engagement with the process and continued interest...

So... this has probably happened before.. what if 'm thinking about possibly changing out my #1 and #2.. but have already told a program they're a #1 on my ROL a little while ago? i wouldn't, i don't think, send any love letters to the new #1

Last edited:
So... this has probably happened before.. what if 'm thinking about possibly changing out my #1 and #2.. but have already told a program they're a #1 on my ROL a little while ago? i wouldn't, i don't think, send any love letters to the new #1
ERAS explodes and Skynet takes over.

But seriously, if you change your mind, just change your list. This probably won't be the first time you do it but I wouldn't send out any more emails to programs professing their temporary #1 status.

i got really really surprised by one of my final interviews, just didn't see it coming

expected to have the program to be middle of the pack

expected to have the program to be middle of the pack

Going in to interview season (lo these many years ago...and not in EM, although that's irrelevant for this particular discussion), I had pretty much determined my #1 and 2 programs...I figured I only had to interview there to make my choice and I'd be off to the races.

They wound up #4 and 8 on my list. My #1 was a program I applied to on a fluke.

Moral of the story? You can't possibly have a #1 until you interview at all of your programs. Assuming otherwise is folly.

Yeah that much is evident now

1156b38eab11011c304d1f70ac38dd9e.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone interview at university of Washington? Thoughts?

Anyone interview at university of Washington? Thoughts?

Didn't interview there - far from home. I met someone on the trail who goes there for med school and loves the program. Said the PD was awesome and had a good vision for the program. I think the person was ranking the program in the top few fwiw. Like I said, this is second hand, but this applicant really loved the program.

Slight shuffling of the deck for my ROL due to some recent developments. New, firmly entrenched number 1 that I am absolutely, head over heels, first teenage crush, in love with. Couldn't sleep last night I was so wired.

Fourth year is amazing, but match day cant come soon enough.

ahh the teenage crush :rolleyes:

Congrats, best of luck!

Slight shuffling of the deck for my ROL due to some recent developments. New, firmly entrenched number 1 that I am absolutely, head over heels, first teenage crush, in love with. Couldn't sleep last night I was so wired.

Fourth year is amazing, but match day cant come soon enough.

Tell me more, tell me more, like does it have U/S,

;)

ahh the teenage crush :rolleyes:

Congrats, best of luck!

Thanks! It's been like 5 days now, still smitten. I think this is the one...do PDs appreciate it more if you go to Jared?

Best of luck to you as well!

think i already know the answer..but what happens if you change your mind after you send your #1 the 'im ranking you #1' email?

wow, ouch. Im sure they will be butt hurt about it, but you cant let that dictate your decision. Just learn to be closed off and emotionally unavailable like me from now on. (J/K).

But anyways, im sure it happens and if they don't understand that this is an emotionally volatile time for candidates, then so be it, but don't let that ruin your next three to four years. good luck

think i already know the answer..but what happens if you change your mind after you send your #1 the 'im ranking you #1' email?

I still don't have a clear #1. Feeling like I missed an opportunity when two of my top three called/emailed and I had to reply with something generic even though one of them will likely end up first on my list.

Anyone successfully hook up a Cruise Ship Medicine elective or know anything about doing so? I have a couple weeks I need to fill in april that can be used for anything.

I was just wondering if anyone that was applying to AOA programs could give me an idea of how many programs is average to apply to? I'm looking to stay in either MI or IL but don't know how realistic that is to only apply to these two states?

Show was really hit and miss IMHO. But it had its moments.