Emergency medicine after Dobbs vs Jackson Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? What's the contraindication to testing for STDs? Why wouldn't you offer this if they were concerned?
I think you misinterpreted my post. I wrote: "...hookup, I'm not offering them prophylaxis against STIs". Not testing. Of course, I likely would not offer them testing for anything immediately after intercourse, as I'm unsure of the test characteristics in that scenario. I'd at least make them play the game of claiming to have vaginal discharge or a drippy dick.

Members don't see this ad.

But SCOTUS's ruling did take away autonomy from 50% of the population
No it didn't. Separate from the maternal vs fetal "autonomy" argument, Dobbs just returned the authority to legislate abortions to the states, where it belongs.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I wrote: "...hookup, I'm not offering them prophylaxis against STIs". Not testing. Of course, I likely would not offer them testing for anything immediately after intercourse, as I'm unsure of the test characteristics in that scenario. I'd at least make them play the game of claiming to have vaginal discharge or a drippy dick.
Thanks for the clarification!

Members don't see this ad :)
No it didn't. Separate from the maternal vs fetal "autonomy" argument, Dobbs just returned the authority to legislate abortions to the states, where it belongs.
OK, it opened the the doors to states legislating against autonomy for physicians and 50% of the adult population.
In no way did it increase autonomy for anyone.

Reactions: 2 users
You do understand that is exactly what the recent decision did, right? Open the door to the state restricting physicians' autonomy in preventing them from providing abortion? Why is the right so insistent upon legislating medical practice?
Exactly this.
States can and have now limited autonomy for 50% of the population, and also for physicians in a variety of specialties.

Reactions: 1 users
OK, it opened the the doors to states legislating against autonomy for physicians and 50% of the adult population.
In no way did it increase autonomy for anyone.
That is one side of the argument, and ignores the many other facets of the argument.

In reality, this discussion will never be resolved. You either are on the Red Sox vs Yankees and nothing will make someone jump ship no matter what. But that doesn't mean we can't disagree and still be civil rather than what we continually see in this country where one group or the other gets demonized.

SCOTUS spoke, its now the law of the land. If you want to change, vote dem, make it left leaning, and they can change the law again.

But in reality, very few people will be affected by RvW nor will it change many elections. People vote with their pocketbook and the dems will take a beating this year in the House and likely senate. SCOTUS will remain right leaning potentially for our lifetime.

I think the left has demonized the wrong group/people. It was not Pro lifers, Thomas, Barrett, Alito, Kav, Gorsuch who overturned RvW.

It was RGB who caused the overturn.

Last edited:
In reality, this discussion will never be resolved. You either are on the Red Sox vs Yankees and nothing will make someone jump ship no matter what. But that doesn't mean we can't disagree and still be civil rather than what we continually see in this country where one group or the other gets demonized.

SCOTUS spoke, its now the law of the land. If you want to change, vote dem, make it left leaning, and they can change the law again.

But in reality, very few people will be affected by RvW nor will it change many elections. People vote with their pocketbook and the dems will take a beating this year in the House and likely senate. SCOTUS will remain right leaning potentially for our lifetime.

I think the left has demonized the wrong group/people. It was not Pro lifers, Thomas, Barrett, Alito, Kav, Gorsuch who overturned RvW.

By "RGB" do you mean Ruth Bader Ginsberg?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

No, it was our electoral college system.
Every ob-gyn, every pregnant person in a state that limits abortion access, every person who loves a pregnant person in a state that limits abortion access, every potentially pregnant person in a state that limits abortion access, as well as victims of sexual assault and incest in states with no rape/incest exception (and this includes many young children) will be affected.
But I agree- most people don't care, even about themselves, and will vote for $$$ because in America, money is more important than rights or even one's own life.

Reactions: 5 users
In reality, this discussion will never be resolved.

Hard disagree. It will take many years, but I suspect that's not a correct take. There are many things that were absolutely abhorrent, then scandalous, then tacitly accepted then generally approved. Look no further than other "controversies" of individual choices such as gay marriage.

The acceptance of abortion will likely coincide with the general decline of religion--at the heart of the real debate here, let's be honest. Thousands of years ago mankind looked up at the sun and made all kinds of pointless decisions. Slowly--very slowly--science has eroded irrational decision making rooted in something "divine." It will probably be hundreds of more years but as religion declines, and I suspect with more scientific literacy and advancement that will continue to be the case, feelings about abortion will globally change. At that point no one is going to care what an old man in the Vatican thinks and when that power is gone so 90% of the argument outside of, "well, I don't think they should do it."

On the slow scale and inside our lifetime I suspect you are generally correct.

Reactions: 1 user
No, it was our electoral college system.
Every ob-gyn, every pregnant person in a state that limits abortion access, every person who loves a pregnant person in a state that limits abortion access, every potentially pregnant person in a state that limits abortion access, as well as victims of sexual assault and incest in states with no rape/incest exception (and this includes many young children) will be affected.
But I agree- most people don't care, even about themselves, and will vote for $$$ because in America, money is more important than rights or even one's own life.
Sure you can take generations old events to get to where we are today. But it was all about RGB trying to stay in too long when she could barely even stay awake, to tragically (from the left POV) get super sick while Trump was in office. From an outside perspective, it was quite sad to see someone so frail and incapable of sitting on the bench to essentially being propped up to get to the finish line in hopes that a democrat become POTUS.

She should have quit many years ago b/c sitting on the bench for those last few Trump years was literally a corps being propped up.

As @southerndoc said, this thread has unsurprisingly gone off the rails and is now only tangentially related to emergency medicine. Some of you have privately expressed displeasure at the thread being closed or with the idea that you were not able to get in one last word.

To be clear: there will not be "a last word" here unless one of the bickering parties simply grows weary of responding after a prolonged verbal war of attrition. This needed to stop, and so it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.