% EM vs 'other' rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of doing lots of outside (ie non-EM) rotations during an EM residency vs doing the majority in the EM?

For example, I was just looking at one that did four months of EM and 8 of other (IM, MICU, etc) rotations during first year. Other programs have 6 months of EM during first year.

I would certainly prefer to do all of my time in the ED (that's what I want to do, afterall) but can see the value of the other rotations as well. I just don't know what the 'perfect' mix would be.

Thanks and take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

Outside rotations are great if they are done with a purpose and you have a meaningful role in patient care. During my residency our MICU rotation was just EM residents and the ICU attending, in SICU we took the place of a surgical PGY2, on ortho we did all the clinic and ER consults/reductions with no floor scut. These were all valuable experiences. On the other hand if you are nothing but a glorified med student than the rotation will be of limited value. Our OB rotation was like that. Rather than count the number of off service rotations find out what your role will be in each. If you spend a lot of time rounding on floor patients, doing scut, or acting like a fifth year med student-run away. If you are an integrated part of the team with real responsibilities on a service where you will learn useful skills than go for it.

I think some off services are of value: MICU, CCU (two unit months are required for residency accred.), OB, ortho, anesthesia...

I agree that the value is what is important. On our offservices, we are there with the goal of learning what is applicable to the ed. On ob- we deliver and do US..... on ortho we only do ER conssult (no clinic or floor). I personally feel that IM wardmonths are a complete waste of time.

There are off services that are applicable.