EM to Rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rekt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity of course. Current PGY2 in EM. Do you get any credit for EM? Not sure of the needed competitiveness since I'm DO as well, but 23X/27X, 700s/800s, top10% of class. Anyone know of anyone that has done the same or heard of it? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity of course. Current PGY2 in EM. Do you get any credit for EM? Not sure of the needed competitiveness since I'm DO as well, but 23X/27X, 700s/800s, top10% of class. Anyone know of anyone that has done the same or heard of it? Thanks

I'm an intern. I actually met an EM attending on the radiology interview trail last year (she was fresh out of residency, though). I met a bunch of others switching in as well (urology, orthopedics, gen surgery). A few of the current radiology residents I met on the trail had also partially completed a residency in another field (neurosurgery (I think the resident did 3 or so years in it before he switched), IM, etc). Switching in is common! I know physician spots can be competitive; but if you're going to switch, now would be the time to do it. Many future radiology residents realize they like IM or surgery during their prelim year and leave radiology before they even start. I'd assume most of the positions available are PGY-2 (R1) spots.

I know that's anecdotal, but it happens all the time. You should be able to match with your scores (check out charting incomes). I'd go to the radiology department at your home institution for advice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
on the interview trail I met PGY4 ortho, PGY3 neurosurgery, PGY2 urology. And more than one PGY3 EM resident.
some people take longer than others to see the light

on the interview trail I met PGY4 ortho, PGY3 neurosurgery, PGY2 urology. And more than one PGY3 EM resident.
some people take longer than others to see the light

you mean see the darkness.

Reactions: 1 users
I did exactly what you are asking about(10+ years ago)...EM to rads...I was one of 3 in my residency that came from EM. I’m also a DO, was doing a DO EM residency and switched to a DO radiology residency. The only Issue I had was if I wanted to switch to an allopathic radiology program my osteopathic intern year would NOT have counted and I would’ve needed to repeat that year. Luckily I found an osteopathic program willing to take me. Intern year counted so I completed 4 years of rad residency and a 1 year fellowship.

Reactions: 3 users
So if I decide during my intern year in EM that I wanted to switch to radiology, I wouldn't even lose a year since that would count as my prelim? (I'm an M4 considering this, since it's too late to change what I apply to this year)