EM to Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Speed Racer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently an intern in EM (1,2,3 format) and I am seriously contemplating leaving EM to go into Anesthesia. I have many reasons, but mostly I think I just fit better in Gas than I do in EM.

Would my EM internship count towards the pre-anesthesia year or would I have to go back and do another internship year.

We have rotations in MICU, CCU, EM, Gas but no Neurology or Medicine floor stuff.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Would think you would have to repeat some of the months, but perhaps not the entire year. Why don't you talk with an anesthesia program director about your general situation. If you don't want the word to get out at your program, go back and talk with the PD at your med school if you didn't stay at the same place for residency. You might be able to find this info online also.

It should count - you can check the ACGME website for details but it's basically 6 months of direct patient care with a month of emergency medicine and a month of ICU. No more than 1 month can be in anesthesia.