Em/im Interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDoogie4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Hope All Is Well. Was Wondering If Anyone Had Info Regarding The Competitiveness Of A Dual Em/im Program. I Am Very Interested In Doing An Em/im Program. Any Thoughts Or Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I didnt apply for this but I can say this it is usually less competitive because as you would imagine doing IM is not on the radar of a lot of EM peoples list. Long hours, call, hours of rounding etc. So to answer your Q it is less competitive but you really should ask yourself WHY you want to do this. Hope this helps!

EctopicFetus said:
I didnt apply for this but I can say this it is usually less competitive because as you would imagine doing IM is not on the radar of a lot of EM peoples list. Long hours, call, hours of rounding etc. So to answer your Q it is less competitive but you really should ask yourself WHY you want to do this. Hope this helps!

Please ignore the obliviousness above.......
As you might imagine, some believe it is a backdoor into an EM program. However, in most cases the programs are very selective about who they accept into their program as it is a 5 year commitment.
In my program atleast, if you leave our program you cannot enter into the IM or EM side alone. You would have to re-enter the match.
In terms of competitiveness, we are equal to EM with percentage matched if not higher. There are at present 25 spots in the country for 1-50 to 200 applicants/year. We look not only at board scores but the quality of the applicant relative to their rotation scores, LOR and we place a large emphasis on personality as we have to interact with you for several years. Our residents are highly qualified and in high demand from categorical IM and EM programs alike. If you are interested, take a lot of time and look into it closely and carefully as it is a big commitment. I will say after going through it, with 1 year to go, it was worth it. EM/IM opens doors that are sometimes closed for EM residents and trains you well for academic EM, Fellowship or a career in IM or EM in the community.

To address the above, I have 2 call months this year......1 ICU and ortho. ....not too shabby. I have no gen med ward months and 4 electives this year. PM if you have any questions. Good luck.