EM/IM combined program official "interviews offered" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lukin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know if there are a ton of people out there who are even applying in EM/IM but figured I could see

I got an interview with U of Maryland EM/IM
- I have heard from UCLA and Christiana that they are reviewing my application
-have not heard from anyone else

Members don't see this ad.

Lukin said:
Don't know if there are a ton of people out there who are even applying in EM/IM but figured I could see

I'm in the same boat as you, except that I haven't heard from Christiana yet. I'm applying to all of the combined programs except the ones in NY.

Lukin said:

Considering that most residents in EM believe that IM is the most painful of professions, why would anyone want to torture themselves with an extra 3 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneralVeers said:
Considering that most residents in EM believe that IM is the most painful of professions, why would anyone want to torture themselves with an extra 3 years?

it is only an extra 2 years. All EM/IM programs are a total of 5 years.

I've heavily considered in the past, but ultimately I know after 3 years I'll be really really ready to be done.

later

12R34Y said:
it is only an extra 2 years. All EM/IM programs are a total of 5 years.

I've heavily considered in the past, but ultimately I know after 3 years I'll be really really ready to be done.

later

Best of luck with your apps for the combined program guys. I, too, thought long and hard about IM/EM, and I chose the EM only route.

All i can say is, I am on day 24 of my 28 days of internal medicine and THANK CHRIST I CHOSE THE EM ONLY!!! wHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 MORE DAYS AND NO MORE MED, DOO DAH, DOO DAH....

There are so many things that I have become interested within EM in the first 4 months of my residency, thank god I didn't commit to IM -- IF I decide to prolong my training, fellowship, baby, fellowship!

I will say, however, that I was exceptionally impressed with both Maryland and Henry Ford combined programs...

bulgethetwine said:
Best of luck with your apps for the combined program guys. I, too, thought long and hard about IM/EM, and I chose the EM only route.

All i can say is, I am on day 24 of my 28 days of internal medicine and THANK CHRIST I CHOSE THE EM ONLY!!! wHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 MORE DAYS AND NO MORE MED, DOO DAH, DOO DAH....

There are so many things that I have become interested within EM in the first 4 months of my residency, thank god I didn't commit to IM -- IF I decide to prolong my training, fellowship, baby, fellowship!

I will say, however, that I was exceptionally impressed with both Maryland and Henry Ford combined programs...

I feel your pain. I'm on day 7 of 24 days, and I can't wait for it to be over. I think I have ADHD or something, because every day during our 3-4 hours of rounding I find my self drifting away doing anything BUT listening on rounds.

I got Henry Ford today!

Do programs look down on applying to em and em/im combined at the same hospital?

rossguy31 said:
Do programs look down on applying to em and em/im combined at the same hospital?

I doubt it. I think most program directors understand that those interested in combined programs are also applying to EM-only, and perhaps IM-only, programs, including ones at the same institution. There just aren't enough combined programs to ensure that there will be a spot for everyone who's interested.

I got UIC and SUNY Downstate today!

So I have:
Henry Ford
UIC
Maryland
SUNY

apparently I am the only person posting interviews but hey what the hell. Does it mean your crazy if you are posting to yourself?

HFH
Long Island Jewish
SUNY
Allegheny
UIC
Maryland

Still waiting to hear form UCLA, Christiana, and Hennepin

Later,
Lukin

Good luck to all EM/IM applicants.
After 3.5 years, I can honestly say it was worth it.
It is a long road, but you will benefit from the extra time.
Only 1.5 yrs +/- fellowship to go.

Just curious, say 10 years down the road you wanted to do allergy/immunology or something like that, can you just do a fellowship at that time and away you go? I guess my question is, does the combined program give you the opportunity to do IM or ER alone in the future?

trkd said:
Just curious, say 10 years down the road you wanted to do allergy/immunology or something like that, can you just do a fellowship at that time and away you go? I guess my question is, does the combined program give you the opportunity to do IM or ER alone in the future?

Yes, you can. If you finish and pass both board certifications (which we all plan to do!), then all fellowship opportunities in both fields are open, both at that time and in the future. Further, you can vary your practice; (EM for five years, then hospitalist/IM, then fellowship, etc). Most, however, don't do this, but all of this is possible. (If one is inclined to enjoy Allergy/Immuno, they likely wouldn't have chosen IM/EM)

Have interviews at allegheny and ENC for EM/IM. Just wondering if anyone's been there already and if u can offer some insight as to the interviews and also airports to fly into and hotel options. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm a third year MS thinking about this path. What are some of your reasons for wanting to do the EM/IM, as opposed to one or the other? I'm told that most people who go into these programs end up doing one or the other, so what are some good reasons to do both?

Like the previous poster, I am also interested in the EM/IM path. What are the credentials necessary to potentially land a spot in EM/IM program. Thanks and Happy Holidays!! :love: :love: