EM / EMS Politics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoughtFyr

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
O.k., I have a new pet peeve. Why in the he11 in this day and age is ANYONE other than a BC/BE EP in charge of EMS? What business has anesthesia, FP or surgery have running EMS? Do I aspire to run a pain clinic or a surgery center? No, nor should I be allowed to. So why, even on National Boards and Committees for EMS (check out the board of the NREMT) are there any physicians besides EPs?

For that matter Quinn - why isn't the EMS forum on SDN a daughter forum to EM? It is no different than GI being a daughter forum to Internal Medicine.

You know, I supported the ABEM's decision not to create an accredited fellowship in EMS because there was not that distinct a body of knowledge in EMS as a separate sub-specialty within EM (which was the last reason they gave). But now I am adamantly for the creation of the fellowship if for no other reason than to politically solidify EMS as "our turf".

- H

Members don't see this ad.

While I agree that EMS systems should be run with an EM Physician as the Physician Adviser there are reasons why some systems are different. For instance here in Colorado there are several rural county EMS systems where there are know Emergency Providers in the county or surrounding counties and the clinics (there are no hospitals) that provide emergency services are staffed by family physicians. Therefore, since the only physicians that treat emergencies in the county system are family physicians. Until all emergency clinics/departments are staffed by emergency physicians it is going to be necessary for some EMS systems to have non-EM Physician Advisers. This is one reason why rural EM needs to be emphasized as a potential (although not as lucrative) career path for EM physicians.

FoughtFyr said:
O.k., I have a new pet peeve. Why in the he11 in this day and age is ANYONE other than a BC/BE EP in charge of EMS? What business has anesthesia, FP or surgery have running EMS? Do I aspire to run a pain clinic or a surgery center? No, nor should I be allowed to. So why, even on National Boards and Committees for EMS (check out the board of the NREMT) are there any physicians besides EPs?

Most of the medical directors that are trained in non-EM specialties have been medical directors for ages... before EM was an established profession. Many of these non-EM trained medical directors are excellent medical directors (i.e., Ornato of Richmond, a cardiologist turned EP).

For that matter Quinn - why isn't the EMS forum on SDN a daughter forum to EM? It is no different than GI being a daughter forum to Internal Medicine.

EMS is overseen by emergency physicians, but it is not a branch of emergency medicine. This is like saying emergency nursing is a branch of emergency medicine. The EMS forum was created for paramedic, not for physicians who are medical directors. EMS as a subspecialty of emergency medicine deals with medical oversight and usually not providing direct pre-hospital patient care.

You know, I supported the ABEM's decision not to create an accredited fellowship in EMS because there was not that distinct a body of knowledge in EMS as a separate sub-specialty within EM (which was the last reason they gave). But now I am adamantly for the creation of the fellowship if for no other reason than to politically solidify EMS as "our turf".

Actually this is likely to happen in the next ten years. One of my attendings, Dave Cone, is now the president of NAEMSP. His agenda is to establish some sort of national credentialling authority to credential physicians who serve as medical directors. It might not be the true "board certification" or "subspecialty certification" offered by ABEM, but it is likely to substitute for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
southerndoc said:
Most of the medical directors that are trained in non-EM specialties have been medical directors for ages... before EM was an established profession. Many of these non-EM trained medical directors are excellent medical directors (i.e., Ornato of Richmond, a cardiologist turned EP).

Yes, but the one I'm frustrated with is a new anesthesiologist in an area (and facility) that has plenty of EPs. BUT the anesthesiologist that was there before him wanted him to take over so...

And there is a difference between a "cardiologist turned EP" and a "cardiologist" who remains a cardiologist but happens to be a medical director. I'm sorry but "hey, they've been doing it for a long time" doesn't cut it. It is a sub-specialty and it is ours. I'm sorry but the grandfather pathway is closed to the ACEP. They made their choice...

southerndoc said:
EMS is overseen by emergency physicians, but it is not a branch of emergency medicine. This is like saying emergency nursing is a branch of emergency medicine.

I disagree, nursing is a separate profession. But every EMT (at any level) acts under a physician's license. As an EMT under my direction acts for me in the field, it is me acting in the legal sense.

southerndoc said:
The EMS forum was created for paramedic, not for physicians who are medical directors. EMS as a subspecialty of emergency medicine deals with medical oversight and usually not providing direct pre-hospital patient care.

Look SD, we are cut from the same cloth - I too am a long time medic, but as you said above "usually not" providing direct care, but sometimes, yes. And look at the forum. It is filled with discussions on the role of aeromedical services, the new guidelines for EMT training, scope of EMS practice, and the ever present (it is SDN after all) "will my EMT certificate get me into medical school?" thread. With the exception of the latter, EPs should be part and parcel in these discussions.

southerndoc said:
Actually this is likely to happen in the next ten years. One of my attendings, Dave Cone, is now the president of NAEMSP. His agenda is to establish some sort of national credentialling authority to credential physicians who serve as medical directors. It might not be the true "board certification" or "subspecialty certification" offered by ABEM, but it is likely to substitute for it.

Yeah, but I think that NAEMSP acting on their own, away from ABEM, sets a bad precedent. There are enough problems in Florida (with the other "EM board") and with FPs trying to get EM fellowships going that allowing (or supporting) an interest group to start their own credentialling authority is threading on dangerous ground. ABEM needs to be the absolute authority. The case just needs to be brought up again in a new light. (And again, and again, and again if necessary).

- H

Actually I liked the approach our former medical director took in protocol development- he had other physicians from other specialties chiming in on various protocols. Anesthesiology for pain control and airway management; cardiology for cardiac protocols; granted the final oversight and ultimate responsibility lay with our BC EM physician medical director (who was also a paramedic).

But personally I think the biggest problem that exists in EMS is a lack of proper education before entering the field. But that's just my opinion.....

FoughtFyr said:
I disagree, nursing is a separate profession. But every EMT (at any level) acts under a physician's license. As an EMT under my direction acts for me in the field, it is me acting in the legal sense.

They may be working under your authority, but EMS is its own profession with its own licensure/certification just as nursing, respiratory therapy, and many other specialties are concerned.

Very few ambulance services are operated by an emergency department. Most are operated by their own departments in hospitals, fire departments, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, the EMS forum was created for paramedics and EMT's. Physicians are welcome to join in discussions, but the emphasis is on EMS field providers.

Praetorian said:
But personally I think the biggest problem that exists in EMS is a lack of proper education before entering the field. But that's just my opinion.....

Define proper education...

What exactly would a former paramedic of 10yrs (as most of us are who are posting) learn in an EMS fellowship? I don't care about the politics that go on in a large urban area. I just want to run an EMS system in a small community say<100K. Why on earth would anyone need to do a EMS fellowship for this? Why can't an FP who was a former paramedic be just as effective administrator as an EP? Most states require medical directors to take at least a week long course anyways.

canjosh said:
Define proper education...
A level of education comparable to a PA for a paramedic. I am not suggesting that it be a masters program, simply that we need to be better versed in the "why" of our job, not simply the "how" and the "when".

I'm sorry but if EMS is to get beyond anything more than being a stretcher jockey we need to have a more broad based education than what we have now. Ever wonder why most docs look at medics and basically say "Shut up. You don't know what you are talking about." It is because most of us can not defend WHY we think "A" is a more valid option than "B". I think a lot of the politics would ease up if we instituted a more stringent entrance policy for paramedic programs than the current system of checking for a pulse and a GCS of greater than 8 before allowing someone to become involved in EMS. That would lessen the number of cowboys entering the field and in turn help our image as providers a very great deal.

swaamedic said:
What exactly would a former paramedic of 10yrs (as most of us are who are posting) learn in an EMS fellowship?

Good question. I already have a masters in EMS but am still on the fence about a fellowship.

The main reason I would consider it is for the protected time I would get to do research and system development. As of right now, however, I'm leaning towards taking the 150K raise and doing it on my own time. It's not like free time is scarce in EM, afterall.

Take care,
Jeff

Praetorian said:
Ever wonder why most docs look at medics and basically say "Shut up. You don't know what you are talking about."

While I don't disagree with your basic proposition at all, I think the real reason docs say this is out of arrogance. It's the same reason they feel the need to berate nurses.

Very shortsighted, IMHO. Nurses (and paramedics) have bailed me out of doing stupid stuff many times in my very brief career as a physician.

Anyway, I really do agree with your premise that paramedics need to be better educated. I made many an enemy in Texas for pushing very hard for just that.

Take care,
Jeff

FoughtFyr said:

- H

Former firefighter/paramedic...current anesthesiologist here...

since I'm bored, I'm gonna be the devil's advocate...

with all the literature showing that the only pre-hospital intervention that really matters is BLS (early CPR/defibrillation), and as a matter of fact, pre-hospital intubation by a paramedic makes no improvement in survival (I was really surprised by that, but yes, its true),

why should society pump more dollars into advanced life support? Why not make an FMG pathologist medical director, staff the ambulances with nurses aides, and use the extra money to soup up the ambulances into dragster-like machines, shortening the enroute time, and hence, improving survival?

Yeah, that sounds like a buncha b ulls hit, but would it affect morbidity/mortality if we went back to the 1960s, with ambulance drivers, albeit with faster machines?

If you dispute this, please provide literature. We all have anecdotal info.

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:

Also speaking as a former medic, I'm always a bit dismayed at the minor or nonexistent difference in outcomes when folks formally study different levels of care. The article in the latest NEJM is a good example; for all the money and training put into developing trauma centers, the difference they make is barely statistically significant. So, whether we are looking at RNs vs LPNs, or EPs vs GPs, or even MD/DOs vs PAs, it is seems hard to show a dramatic difference in outcome attributable to an enhanced level of education and experience. You probably have a sense of what sort of outcomes data distinguishes the performance of the CRNA from the anesthesiologist.

Anyway, I really do agree with your premise that paramedics need to be better educated. I made many an enemy in Texas for pushing very hard for just that.

You've earned the respect of one EMT-I from Indiana, if that counts for anything. Most people don't even bother trying to push at all.

jetproppilot said:

with all the literature showing that the only pre-hospital intervention that really matters is BLS (early CPR/defibrillation), and as a matter of fact, pre-hospital intubation by a paramedic makes no improvement in survival (I was really surprised by that, but yes, its true),

why should society pump more dollars into advanced life support? Why not make an FMG pathologist medical director, staff the ambulances with nurses aides, and use the extra money to soup up the ambulances into dragster-like machines, shortening the enroute time, and hence, improving survival?

Yeah, that sounds like a buncha b ulls hit, but would it affect morbidity/mortality if we went back to the 1960s, with ambulance drivers, albeit with faster machines?

Actually if you increase the speed you'll simply increase the number of providers and patients killed in accidents. If you would like to see the studies showing little or no benefit to code 3 response, I'll be happy to provide them, but I would bet money you've already seen them.

paramed2premed said:
You probably have a sense of what sort of outcomes data distinguishes the performance of the CRNA from the anesthesiologist.

HA!

VERY nice comeback.

The studies supporting the fact that CRNA level anesthesia is just as safe as MD provided anesthesia are very controversial...and the reasons they are controversial are TNTC. But then again, I'm an anesthesiologist, so I'm not unbiased.

Lets just say I hope the pre-hospital realm can at least provide some controversy to the findings.

The CRNA propeganda has been circling for 15 years, and yet my job is more in-demand now than ever before.

Speaking from my firefighter-paramedic heritage, I hope someone out there can find flaws in the pre-hospital studies.

I want paramedics on the street more than you do.

Praetorian said:
Actually I liked the approach our former medical director took in protocol development- he had other physicians from other specialties chiming in on various protocols. Anesthesiology for pain control and airway management; cardiology for cardiac protocols; granted the final oversight and ultimate responsibility lay with our BC EM physician medical director (who was also a paramedic).

As likely the only person in known history (or at least on this thread) dumb enough to throw away two perfectly good professions to seek another and become a physician, I'll comment. First of all, if we made paramedic training as rigorous as PA training we would have very few paramedics. Has anyone ever tried to live on a paramedic salary when the job wasn't attached to a fire department? Its not the most attractive profession in terms of salary, and if you suddenly require masters degrees from all the good old boy medics in places like Orange County Virginia, Prince George's county Maryland, and Johnson County Iowa, it won't work. I still remember in 1992 when I started medic school at Northern Virginia Community College. You always knew it was an EMS school night because of all the light racks on the old rusty trucks in the parking lot. I loved these guys and loved working with them, but lets not fool ourselves into believing that the average medic is intelligent enough to be anything near a PA. And unless you have completed medic, PA, and medical school, then my comments are as close to evidence as you are going to get on this topic.

In medic school, there were people like Jeff, FoughtFyre, Southerndoc, and myself who read every square centimeter of text out of Brady's Paramedic Emergency Care by Bledsoe, Porter, and Shade. But there were also a large majority that only cared about coming to class because their volunteer squad back home in the hills had paid their way to come. They spent most of the time trying to suck their gut in over their Rhonco pocket defibrillators and 5 Minitor pagers so that they could make themselves more attractive to the 4 toothed EMS chick in the tightest 9 pocket jump pants. I think there were more smoke breaks than lectures most nights. I remember not understanding why it took like 8 weeks for these guys to be able to determine a heart rate other than by just counting the number of QRS's in a 6 second strip and multiplying by 10. That whole 300, 150, 100, 75, 60...stuff went right over their heads.

And it wasn't because these guys were bad people. They just weren't Jeffs, and Foughtfyre's, or Southerndocs. So we can't expect to develop a standard that we would have like to have held ourselves to and apply it to a population of people that probably couldn't ever pass bio 1 or chem 1. And without those types of sciences you are not going to teach anyone physiology or pharmacology at a very deep level.

I still remember when I came back from the incredible EMS system we had in Northern Virginia and moved to Texas in 94 after leaving the military. I found a small town...Trinity, Texas about 20 miles from where I was going to school in Huntsville, Tx. I went up there and started volunteering, sporting my gold patch when Texas was a red patch state...and these old backwoods medics really thought I must have written the EMS text. But as it turned out, these guys could spot a crumping patient way better than I could and could put an IV in your granny's spider vein. I learned a lot from these guys, and eventually realized that they were plenty good for where they were serving. I also learned that it was important to untie the Basset Hound from the rear bumper before going on a call :eek:

But these guys could never have made it through a PA curriculum or anything similar. In fact they would never make it through the current medic curriculum. And if we are going to somehow expect more from them, we are going to have to pay them a fair wage for God's sake.

As for having a non-EM boarded doc on the NREMT, I find that completely unacceptable. Its still okay to have rural FP's as medical directors for their local EMS because otherwise there would be no one. And more time than not in situations like this the most intelligent medic in the system is just shoving papers in front of the doc to sign to send to the state EMS agency for approval and such. But the NREMT is a huge organization that represents nearly every EMT and paramedic in the country. They run a very tight ship, give an incredibly good exam, and should only be made up of EM physicians at this juncture in time. Otherwise we risk inappropriate influence on the policies that dictate future training, and I don't want some expert in SI joint injections trying to determine what a medic needs to be tested on for instance.

Wheeeewwww......taking a breath and giving my fingers some much needed rest.

As likely the only person in known history (or at least on this thread) dumb enough to throw away two perfectly good professions to seek another and become a physician, I'll comment.

I've thrown away two and I'm working on a third. ;)

Its not the most attractive profession in terms of salary, and if you suddenly require masters degrees from all the good old boy medics
I specifically stated that I don't believe masters degrees are a valid option- but I think BS degrees are more than a good idea.

As for PG County having good ol' boys, yeah right. I used to be a volunteer there and they aren't good ol' boys by any definition of the word.

Also, keep in mind that for every SouthernDoc, Jeff, and FoughtFyr, you've got 8-10 Barney Fifes who just want to be medics because "it's cool" or "Because I have to have it to be a firefighter."

Praetorian said:
I specifically stated that I don't believe masters degrees are a valid option- but I think BS degrees are more than a good idea.

As for PG County having good ol' boys, yeah right. I used to be a volunteer there and they aren't good ol' boys by any definition of the word.

Also, keep in mind that for every SouthernDoc, Jeff, and FoughtFyr, you've got 8-10 Barney Fifes who just want to be medics because "it's cool" or "Because I have to have it to be a firefighter."

Take away the pre-yankee accents and the 10 trillion dollar apparatus', and to me they are mostly good old boys. Don't forget that Prince William County Va and PG County Md have some real rural places, and like 15 separate volunteer services within the county itself. PW had Dale City, Manassas, Woodbridge, Triangle/Dumphries, and all those places couldn't be more different. But the common thread was that they were mostly good old boys. You don't have to speak redneck to be a good old boy!

As for your last sentence....the Barney Fife's, I am pretty sure that is what I said as well. And that is exactly why you can't force these guys to get a degree to be a medic. The degrees should be left for people who want to run a system, or of course for the people who are too scared to work the streets for real.... ;) I have worked with PA's who got their training at Cuyahoga Community College in Cleveland and these guys are just as good as any PA with a master's degree. Its more about professional respect that PA's changed our preferred degree.

Personally I have a better description for the FF's and EMS personnel of PG County (don't know the people in PW and haven't worked with them so I can't comment) but it should suffice to say that my way of characterizing them couldn't be repeated in polite conversation.

Yes, there are good "local yokel" medics- the best of my former instructors being one of them- he couldn't graduate from college if he tried. But he is the first to admit- and the one who instilled this belief in me- that in order to progress we must lose a few good medics in order to get rid of a whole lot of lousy medics ("losing a little wheat to get rid of the chaff" is how he put it) through educational attrition. Just because it has "worked" (using the term loosely) so far, doesn't mean that the status quo is the ideal option.

Given the attitudes of a lot of medics (the Barney Fifes I was speaking of), you aren't going to get a professional attitude out of them and to have one around ruins the attitudes of and regard for the rest of the department. There is simply no other way to regulate the profession than through a stringent entry process.

swaamedic said:
Why can't an FP who was a former paramedic be just as effective administrator as an EP? Most states require medical directors to take at least a week long course anyways.

Why can't an FP do general anesthesia? Or cardiac cath? It isn't a matter of "know-how" or even an ability to be trained in a specific procedure. It is a matter of scope. I firmly believe that EMS is well defined as the scope of an EP.

- H

jetproppilot said:

I agree with you fully. That said, as of right now lots of the EMS literature comes from all over. Dr. White, an anesthesiologist, has done a fair amount of the AED research, Dr. Maddox, a surgeon, has done a lot dealing with urban ALS interventions. And they are both quality researchers. But, there are precious few folks who can demonstrate advanced training in EMS to oversee research design, implications, etc. We have all witnessed how desperately our profession was carved out from other specialties. We are still fighting some of these battles today (e.g., critical care). There should be a body of folks, fellowship trained in EMS, to provide the academic credentialling needed to direct these studies and determine future direction. And this is not unusual. As an anesthesiologist, you are undoubtedly well trained in pain management, but, your profession, as a group, to regulate practice, etc., chose to create pain management fellowships. I am saying the same is needed for EMS.

- H

corpsmanUP said:
I learned a lot from these guys, and eventually realized that they were plenty good for where they were serving. I also learned that it was important to untie the Basset Hound from the rear bumper before going on a call :eek:

But these guys could never have made it through a PA curriculum or anything similar. In fact they would never make it through the current medic curriculum. And if we are going to somehow expect more from them, we are going to have to pay them a fair wage for God's sake.
Taking this very good point to one possible end I have always thought that society might get the most bang for the buck by DECREASING the number of highly trained EMS people in urban areas and trying to train the rural folks up to a higher level. Everywhere I've ever been you can't swing your arm in town, 2 minutes from the ER, without hitting a medic but the guys in the sticks with the 45 minute transport time are all EMT-Is or First Responders.

I suggest that urban areas might do just as well with EMT-Is on ambulances and a few backup medics driving non transport rigs. Rural areas need the medics and CCTRNs for the long transports.

Praetorian said:
You've earned the respect of one EMT-I from Indiana, if that counts for anything. Most people don't even bother trying to push at all.

Why, thank you Praetorian. It does count.

Take care,
Jeff

Corpsman,

I was going to post something insightful about your missive on education but I'm still too busy pissing on myself after your poetic description of the soon-to-be-famous tooth:pants pocket ratio.

Strong work.

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
Corpsman,

I was going to post something insightful about your missive on education but I'm still too busy pissing on myself after your poetic description of the soon-to-be-famous tooth:pants pocket ratio.

Strong work.

Take care,
Jeff

Well thank you very much for the loss of continence. I will do my best to keep you voiding regularly :)

docB said:
Taking this very good point to one possible end I have always thought that society might get the most bang for the buck by DECREASING the number of highly trained EMS people in urban areas and trying to train the rural folks up to a higher level. Everywhere I've ever been you can't swing your arm in town, 2 minutes from the ER, without hitting a medic but the guys in the sticks with the 45 minute transport time are all EMT-Is or First Responders.

I suggest that urban areas might do just as well with EMT-Is on ambulances and a few backup medics driving non transport rigs. Rural areas need the medics and CCTRNs for the long transports.

AMEN,AMEN,AMEN,AMEN,AMEN.

i couldn't agree more.

The ALS service I used to work for had so many trauma centers/cath lab type hospitals in the area we never ever had a transport time longer than 5-10 minutes.

And again..........all of the outlying rural areas........nothing, but basics and FR's.

later

corpsmanUP said:
Well thank you very much for the loss of continence. I will do my best to keep you voiding regularly :)

oh, and i almost forgot.

corpsman........did you say johnson county, iowa? that's where I got my basic and medic training about a decade ago.

did you train there?

later

FoughtFyr said:
Why can't an FP do general anesthesia? Or cardiac cath? It isn't a matter of "know-how" or even an ability to be trained in a specific procedure. It is a matter of scope. I firmly believe that EMS is well defined as the scope of an EP.

- H

In some states, FP's perform C-sections and do appendectomies!

southerndoc said:
Does that scare anyone else?

docB said:

very good point! I never understood why the medics in the city make so much money when they don't really ever get to use any thought process/skills (except bullet dodging in certain neighborhoods). just doesn't make sense...to me anyway.
streetdoc <----rural paramedic (got da skills, but could never pay da bills)

Praetorian said:
Does that scare anyone else?

Its not a stretch in Texas even now. There is an FP in Littlefield, Texas who does all his own sections, and does lap chole's and appys. He did his own daughter's section 2 years ago. From what I hear he has done hundreds if not thousands. Lets not hide too far up in the ivory tower that we forget about the literally thousands of empty desert and mountain miles left in this country. You either take an FP, a vet, or the barber in those places. Its about access, just like FP's working ED's in these same places. People bit** about it until the thought of moving there and taking that job away from the FP seems worse than the idea of the FP itself.

southerndoc said:

corpsmanUP said:
Its about access, just like FP's working ED's in these same places. People bit** about it until the thought of moving there and taking that job away from the FP seems worse than the idea of the FP itself.

Cool, so let's open up the practice pathway again. In fact, let's chuck ABEM to the curb and use the AAPS instead. {Sarcasm}

Look, I'm not debating that these things go on, but we also have to realize the message that is being sent. There is no question that appendectomies are the purview of the surgeon, and there are very few insurers left who will cover FPs for c-sections. But people (including many on this forum apparently) do not consider EMS to be squarely in the realm of emergency medicine. I do. And I believe that a credentialling fellowship will help establish that within medicine.

- H

I consider EMS a very definite part of emergency medicine. In fact I dislike the term "emergency medical services"- I think prehospital emergency medicine is a much more apt description.

Of course I also consider respiratory therapy a subset of pulmonology, and echocardiography a subset of cardiology (and had the chief of cardiology at Bethesda Naval Hospital agree with this assessment), so it could just be my weird take on things.

jetproppilot said:
I want paramedics on the street more than you do.

I doubt that!

My personal take on this issue is that evidence-based arguments about well-defined outcome measures are not the only factor that matters. There is an intrinisic appeal to having a well-trained professional in a position, rather than a "statistically least-harmful" surrogate. In the OR, I want someone pumping gas into my lungs who has been trained to death and can handle most exigencies without breaking a sweat, not someone who usually squeeks by.

Another analagous issue you probably know more about than me: I am given to understand that the large passenger jets are fairly easy to fly, and that great skills as a pilot are unnecessary. Nonetheless, society wants the most experienced, grizzled veteran in the seat, just in case!

Can't talk more... have to go to psych rounds.

I think we all agree on the fact that in an ideal world, there would be an EM trained doc in every ED and a gas trained doc pumping gas in the OR. My only issue with this is that there are so many open spaces in our country that simply cannot recruit to get either of these 2 professionals. So it comes down to two choices there. 1) Require patients in rural areas to come to the larger centers for all their care, or 2) be willing to sacrifice quality in order to provide at least some care. Don't forget, the vast majority of our parents were delivered by non-OBGYN physicians, and before them their parents may have been delivered without a doctor at all. Over half of the counties in Texas don't even have a physician at all. Many of the rural counties, some over a hundred miles from a major hospital, may have to rely on the services of 3 main healthcare providers. It is common here to have a CRNA, a general surgeon, and an FP. The FP covers the OB and the ED, while the CRNA helps with sedation, intubations, and covers the OR. The surgeon has a very broad practice whereas she/he is the backup for the FP on sections that are tough. They also do GI scopes, breast biopsies, some minor ortho...and lots more.

Its easy to say that this is not the standard of care, and you won't get an argument from me. But where you will get an argument is from the people who live in these communities and rely on the services of these professionals. So would you suggest that we create a vaccuum and require these providers to stop providing this care until a time that they can be replaced by boarded gas docs and ED docs, plus an OBGYN? Have any of you ever been to Texas? I don't think some of you have any idea how far out some of our state is.

FoughtFyr said:
Cool, so let's open up the practice pathway again. In fact, let's chuck ABEM to the curb and use the AAPS instead. {Sarcasm}

Look, I'm not debating that these things go on, but we also have to realize the message that is being sent. There is no question that appendectomies are the purview of the surgeon, and there are very few insurers left who will cover FPs for c-sections. But people (including many on this forum apparently) do not consider EMS to be squarely in the realm of emergency medicine. I do. And I believe that a credentialling fellowship will help establish that within medicine.

- H

I do believe that EMS should fall directly under the EM physician. The current state of the distorted chain of command is analogous to military medics working under the department of nursing. We used to have the bigwig nurse officers who outranked the docs dictating policy for us as a way to control the physicians. We only worked with the physicians (because military nurses don't work in most settings...they have the medics!). When the work being done affects primarily the physician's license, or when the patients being treated ultimately end up in the physician's lap, the physicians should be the one dictating policy for these professionals (related to medical treatment...not rig cleaning and haircuts for God's sake!).

corpsmanUP said:
Its easy to say that this is not the standard of care, and you won't get an argument from me. But where you will get an argument is from the people who live in these communities and rely on the services of these professionals. So would you suggest that we create a vaccuum and require these providers to stop providing this care until a time that they can be replaced by boarded gas docs and ED docs, plus an OBGYN? Have any of you ever been to Texas? I don't think some of you have any idea how far out some of our state is.

No, I am not suggesting that we "close up shop" in rural areas where FPs, GPs, anesthesiologists or any other non-EP is acting as program director. I am advocating that we, as a profession, through the use of fellowship training, signify to the greater scientific medical community that EMS is "ours". The same as FPs still do surgery in some rural areas so to will they direct EMS, but that should lead them to positions of national leadership or research funding.

What I am saying is that we need to create the "ideal" somewhere, so that future leadership positions within national EMS organizations go to those trained to hold them and that research be performed by those trained to interpret the data as they apply to EMS as a whole.

You would never see a non-grandfathered FP running an ACEP ad-hoc comittee nor would you see a CRNA running the anesthesia section of a trauma surgery society. But there is no question that FPs still practice emergency medicine and that CRNA provide services during trauma surgery. We have nothing (except logic - and we all know how little that counts for these days) to state to the greater scientific community that we (EPs as a whole) alone should control EMS (in terms of national policy and research direction).

- H