EM doc working locums CCM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an EM doc but I've been considering CCM for a long time. I just quit my FT academic job and I'm working locums while figuring out my next move.

I wonder if there are any jobs out there, especially locums, where I could work part or full time in the ICU. I'd even be a hospitalist if I had to.

I think this would be a better introduction to the actual practice of CCM, where I could make some money, rather than doing a CCM fellowship and taking my chances to see if I like it or not.

Another possibility I considered is doing a PT CCM fellowship, one month on-one month off, and taking the odd months off to locums.

Any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most hospitals will not allow this. We do not grant EM physicians inpatient care privileges at my hospital. I guess you could have CCM admit via telephone, and you could manage them upstairs. Some hospitals might be different, but we're pretty stringent when we evaluate physicians for privileges.

Most hospitals will not allow this.

There's a big difference generally between what hospitals officially allow and what they're willing to do to meet staffing goals.

I managed to get CCM privileges at a half dozen hospitals in a big city after two years of GS. I bet a boarded EM doc could find a variety of CCM locums opportunities.

That said, most CCM fellowships don't fill. You could walk into one for July 1 if you wanted, after which you could certainly do CCM.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a big difference generally between what hospitals officially allow and what they're willing to do to meet staffing goals.

I managed to get CCM privileges at a half dozen hospitals in a big city after two years of GS. I bet a boarded EM doc could find a variety of CCM locums opportunities.

That said, most CCM fellowships don't fill. You could walk into one for July 1 if you wanted, after which you could certainly do CCM.

Agree with southerndoc and that I don't see it happening.

Also, usually the IM CCM programs fill, but I can't speak for the anesthesia, surgery, or ER programs...

There are ER-CCM fellowships out there, but I don't think they are ACGME-accredited. However, it does provide you with and extra year or two of training. At the end of a CCM fellowship, you will be well-prepared to handle any situation that comes your way in the ICU.

I don't see it happening.

Based on what? Cause I can easily come up with two dozen examples of PGY2 surgery residents in a big city getting attending level CCM privileges in the last 5 years.

You just have to know how to play the game. If you call the medical staff office, you'll get the secretary level policy answer of no. If you make a connection with the head of the ICU, and he likes you, and he needs people, the wheels will get greased.

perhaps it's more geographical, if you could tell me where you're working maybe I could apply there,

Thanks,
beyond

Let's just say I have some inside knowledge of the credentials committee.

Surgery is an inpatient specialty -- they have admitting privileges. EM is not, and is one of the concessions we made when we were granted specialty status by ABMS.