EM applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD^2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student
Step 1-227
Step 2-219... I know.

Level 1- 500
Level 2 Pending
I have worked as an EMT and Patient Care tech in the hospital
2 SLOE and 1 nonSLOE from a community hospital

What are my chances to match to EM?
Need some guidance and to know there is hope.

Members don't see this ad.

The real question is why you want to chase a field with dead end job prospects

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
My boiilerplate response to anyone applying in EM is essentially to not consider it unless you are

1) okay with potentially not having a job

2) Have a competitive enough application to match at a top program with a strong alumni network

3) have enough flexibility to move anywhere

You're a DO with an average step 1 score and mediocre step 2 score. You'll likely match, the question is whether or not you will match someplace reputable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, apply IM as well. You will have more options after graduation. The job market for EM really is that grim and, the salaries are falling. That being said, plenty of people I know in past few years have been hired by their own EM program but, keep in mind the EM market is being SUPER over-saturated. Go on the EM forum and see what’s going on! I would apply IM so you have more fellowship and actual prospects to find a job if you match IM, also, you can still do procedures in IM and work “EM shifts” (one week off, one week on) etc, if you choose.