electroplating question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From TBR GchemII chapter 10 passage 14.

"
Which of the following is a desirable property of a metal to be used to coat a structural beam that will be
exposed to moisture?
A . Its cation has a large positive reduction potential.
B. The metal has a large positive reduction potential.
C . Its cation has a large positive oxidation potential.
D. The metal has a large positive oxidation potential.

Choice A is correct. A good protective metal coating is one that does not oxidize away. This means that it must be unfavorable for the metal to oxidize away, which would imply that the metal has negative oxidation
potential. negative oxidation potential for the metal would result in a positive reduction potential for its
corresponding cation (the reverse reaction). This makes choice A the best answer. This also explains why
choice D can be eliminated. Choice B is incorrect, because the reduction of a metal to an anion is not known to occur. This not only would not be a desirable property, but it would be impractical. A large positive oxidation potential for its cation just means that the cation can further be oxidized to a larger positive charge, making choice C a bad choice."

can someone please explain why the answer is A? I thought the whole point of electroplating is to provide a metal with a different metal coating that will get oxidized first.. That's why I selected D. The metal should have a high oxidation potential so it will get oxidized instead of the metal that it is protecting.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are getting electroplating with cathodic protection. Cathodic protection uses metals that oxidize before the structural metal by being connected and getting oxidized first.

Electroplating is when you cover a metal with a protective coating that is resistant to oxidation. Therefore the choice makes sense.