Electronically organizing literature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrotbanana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does everybody electronically organize/catalog the plethora of literature that exists in our field (Dropbox folders, EndNote, Evernote, Excel spreadsheets, count on RadOnc Wikibooks existing for the rest of time?)

Members don't see this ad.

I use my hard drive. Multiple folders regarding subsites/random topics each filled with PDFs.

I don't trust clouds.

Just a note Gfunk, most of the clouds now (Dropbox, Drive, etc.) have a program that you can install on your computer that will create a folder on your desktop that will automatically sync with the cloud, while leaving your files on the HD. If you did this, copied your current folder into the new folder, you'd both have it on your HD and in the cloud :) Means you could access it on your phone/tablet or any computer you happen to be at.

You probably already know this, but hey, I love me some dropbox.

Members don't see this ad :)
Various files scattered among several folders on my desktop, e.g. Dropbox, Google share, and Box. A paper on medulloblastoma might be found within "PEDS", which is within "BRAIN", which is sitting in a file called "my old dropbox", on my desktop. Alternatively, a medulloblsatoma paper might be found within the primary "PEDS" folder on Google Drive, which itself is within the "CLINICAL SITES" folder. Expect to find the same paper in both places, or maybe in a completely different location, or not at all. Papers are variously named (short title, institution, year, author, etc).

However, I can't say that I recommend this method of organization.