Electives to do during internship for someone going into PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM&Radam

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my internship, and have 3 months of elective. I will then be starting PGY-2 for PM&R. I was wondering what anyone's recommendations would be for PM&R related things to do during internship? Maybe you can think of some I can't think of?

I was at least considering the following: PM&R, rheumatology, ortho, neuro, sports med.

Members don't see this ad.

PM&Radam said:
I am starting my internship, and have 3 months of elective. I will then be starting PGY-2 for PM&R. I was wondering what anyone's recommendations would be for PM&R related things to do during internship? Maybe you can think of some I can't think of?

I was at least considering the following: PM&R, rheumatology, ortho, neuro, sports med.

Radiology with an emphasis on Spine, Brain, and MSK imaging would be good. Also consider a neurosurgery experience...

Im gonna be doing Neuro, Rads, and Ortho.

No neurosurg available, and I didn't want to do the PM&R elective with my dad :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ortho, Trauma Surg, Rheum, Research, Anesthesia/Pain, PMR Musculoskeletal clinic

P.S. Axm, enjoying the year so far but really excited about heading to Chicago. Hope all's well.

Oh yeah - I'm doing a research elective too!

And MSK, I'm excited about going to Chicago also - am a bit nervous for intern year though... My schedule is not as bad as I thought it would be but I'm covering night float this weekend... wish me luck!

Axm or anyone else know what call is like as a PGY-2 at RIC? Is it all cross-cover? How many Pts do you cover and who is your backup?

I'm doing cross-cover for 60-80 Pts while on electives this year 4-5X/month for 5 months. First 2 nights no sleep and >50 pages; many from CCU, ICU, and PCU. Lots of easy stuff (ambien, dulcolax, tylenol) from medicine floor patients but several really sick patients from the ICU, etc. It's surprisingly kind of fun right now but I'm sure I'll hate it by the end of the year. Hopefully six months of cross-cover and several months of medicine, peds, surgery call will make next years' call seem pretty easy.