Elective timing and Sub-I's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
H-eye :p guys,

Just found this forum recently and think it's great!

I'm starting my 3rd year of med school and have an increasing interest in ophth. I'm planning on taking a year off to do research afterwards. 2 questions about timing...

1. Is it recommended to do a non-ophthalmology Sub-I before submitting the applications? If so, which one (eg. med vs. surg)?

2. Our 3rd year required clerkships extend to the end of June, but since I'll be taking a year off afterwards, I suppose I can start doing electives whenever I want. Is there an ideal time for scheduling the ophth electives before applying? And how many?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think a Sub-I is necessary to be a competitive applicant. However, I do recommend completing a sub-I in preparation for your internship.

If you're taking a year off, then it will not matter when you complete the ophthalmology electives. I completed the basic clerkship in ophthalmology, neuro-ophthalmology, general ophthalmology, and an ophthalmology research elective before applying. I recommend completing one or two electives before applying.

Thanks for the welcome and 4-1-1 Dr. Doan.