Elective rotation denial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrlob91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a bit of a crappy situation. I have been offered two sub-i rotations at two of my top choice hospitals, for the same dates. One app went through VSAS, the other went through email. I accepted the one through VSAS on Monday since I hadn't heard back from the one by email. Today I got an email stating I had been awarded my sub-I at that institution as well. What should I do here!? Did I screw myself out of a residency interview at one of the spots when I (respectfully) deny the rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

I've only read about that allegedly happening on here once or twice. I'm not sure how common, if at all, this is for programs to do, but there are always other reasons for not being interviewed somewhere. See if you can change the date (assuming you have the option). You already have the paperwork in and approved, so now it's just a matter of scheduling.

Last edited:
I would try to reschedule one of them so you could potentially do both. I think the prospect of a residency interview if you were to reject one offer would depend on the specialty. I imagine you'd be fine if it were something less competitive or those with larger cohorts (eg. IM, Peds). If it's a small surgical sub it could come back to hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts! Will try to reschedule. What is the latest date that would be good for a Sub-I? As it stands, I'll be going into the middle of October. Should I keep late October-December open for interview season?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts! Will try to reschedule. What is the latest date that would be good for a Sub-I? As it stands, I'll be going into the middle of October. Should I keep late October-December open for interview season?

Yes. Assuming you don't need any LORs, January is the latest I would expect to get an interview while on rotation at the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you cancel in an appropriate amount of time prior to your rotation, then you will be fine. For example, if you cancel an away rotation at UCSF within 8 weeks of your start date, they will automatically trash your residency application. Be professional, give them as much notice in advance as possible (they're adults and professionals and know that rotations have to be canceled, rescheduled, etc.)

I am in a bit of a crappy situation. I have been offered two sub-i rotations at two of my top choice hospitals, for the same dates. One app went through VSAS, the other went through email. I accepted the one through VSAS on Monday since I hadn't heard back from the one by email. Today I got an email stating I had been awarded my sub-I at that institution as well. What should I do here!? Did I screw myself out of a residency interview at one of the spots when I (respectfully) deny the rotation?

If you cancel your rotation, they will likely not interview you.