EK101 CARS 2nd Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChymeofPassion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
These EK101 VR 2nd edition passages (copyright 2008) seem to be very different from the passages I've taken on my practice MCATs, testing a lot more passage comprehension than stuff like author implication and theme.

Is this considered outdated?

I bought it because it was recommended to me.

Members don't see this ad.

The 2008 EK101 VR book was used for the old MCAT so it is outdated. They have science passages, which CARS doesn’t have. Also while the passages are often good for practice, their questions and answers often involve some weird logical jumps that are more convoluted than what you’ll see in AAMC practice tests.

My suggestion is to use EK only for extra practice to nail down the main idea (skip the science passages). Practice CARS using NextStep 108 or TPR CARS Workbook or AAMC CARS Question Packs.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the old EK 101 book is quite a good resource, especially for practicing early on, so I would disagree that it's outdated. You've got to be sure to skip the natural science passages, but for practice, there is very little difference between the old humanities and social science passages and the "new" ones on the CARS. The far majority of people use the old EK verbal book for practice here on SDN. I think the quality of the old passages and questions are much better than the newer book. With that said, the quality starts to wane some after practice test 11 in the the old EK 101 book and there are numerous errors in the quick answer key so be sure you look at the long form answer explanations for those as I incorrectly scored a few of my last exams with them.

I'd check out some of the reviews on Amazon for the New EK 101 book before purchasing.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the old EK 101 book is quite a good resource, especially for practicing early on, so I would disagree that it's outdated. You've got to be sure to skip the natural science passages, but for practice, there is very little difference between the old humanities and social science passages and the "new" ones on the CARS. The far majority of people use the old EK verbal book for practice here on SDN. I think the quality of the old passages and questions are much better than the newer book. With that said, the quality starts to wane some after practice test 11 in the the old EK 101 book and there are numerous errors in the quick answer key so be sure you look at the long form answer explanations for those as I incorrectly scored a few of my last exams with them.

I'd check out some of the reviews on Amazon for the New EK 101 book before purchasing.

Best of luck!

Longtime CARS struggler here who made a pretty significant improvement in my score. I literally used everything to improve my score (e.g. AAMC packs, NS108, old EK, new EK, TestingSolutions, and TPR)

I felt that certain aspects of different CARS resources emulated the real deal in unique ways.

For example, I felt that the "passages" from the new EK book were pretty representative of the real test... however their questions and answers were wayyy off.

The passages from the old EK book were not as accurate for the new test (shorter in length it seemed and too easy for readability), although their questions and answers were pretty similar to the actual MCAT. The TPR verbal workbook gave a similar feel to the old EK material... and at times, felt too easy.

Obviously, AAMC material is the most accurate material and I would recommend going through these multiple times if your struggling.

Overall, the best "non-AAMC CARS resource" I found was NS108. The book is fairly cheap, the passages are challenging, and the questions/answers seemed to be the most consistent w/ AAMC material. When I say "most consistent", I felt that their answers required similar logic that the AAMC material did.

Hopefully, this helps... and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Longtime CARS struggler here who made a pretty significant improvement in my score. I literally used everything to improve my score (e.g. AAMC packs, NS108, old EK, new EK, TestingSolutions, and TPR)

I felt that certain aspects of different CARS resources emulated the real deal in unique ways.

For example, I felt that the "passages" from the new EK book were pretty representative of the real test... however their questions and answers were wayyy off.

The passages from the old EK book were not as accurate for the new test (shorter in length it seemed and too easy for readability), although their questions and answers were pretty similar to the actual MCAT. The TPR verbal workbook gave a similar feel to the old EK material... and at times, felt too easy.

Obviously, AAMC material is the most accurate material and I would recommend going through these multiple times if your struggling.

Overall, the best "non-AAMC CARS resource" I found was NS108. The book is fairly cheap, the passages are challenging, and the questions/answers seemed to be the most consistent w/ AAMC material. When I say "most consistent", I felt that their answers required similar logic that the AAMC material did.

Hopefully, this helps... and good luck!

It just so happens that I ordered the NS108! I just felt the EK101 (VR, 2008) version included too many "look in the passage and find this specific detail" questions, where other material has tested the authors perspective. Is the AAMC a little bit of both (I do have the CARS QP, but I'm saving that for later in my 5 month study period)?

Best of luck!
Thanks for the guide by the way, was extremely helpful.