EK BIO 1001 Error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatscorrect7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Glu + means it can use glucose instead of making its own glucose, right?

A Lac+ His- bacteria would mean that it cannot produce Histidine but can live off of Lactose.

The answer treats the carbon source like an amino acid

am i right?

Members don't see this ad.

Lac- = cannot synthesize its own lactose

A Lac+ His- bacteria would mean that it cannot produce Histidine but can live off of Lactose.
A Lac+His- bacteria would be able to synthesize/make its own lactose but not able to synthesize its own histidine.

Thus it can still live on a plate without lactose. But it would die on a plate lacking histidine because it cannot make its own histidine (and needs these AA/sugars for growth/development)

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's an error:

(487) All of the following statements regarding the autonomic nervous system are accurate except:

(a) The sympathetic nervous system responds to stressful situations
(b) The parasympathetic nervous system is not all that essential for life
(c) The autonomic nervous system is composed entirely of motor neurons
(d) The parasympathetic system is stimulated by the release of acetylcholine.

Both B and C are incorrect. The authors want you to go with C, but that would imply the parasympathetic nervous system isn't essential for life, which is also false.

Here's an error:

(487) All of the following statements regarding the autonomic nervous system are accurate except:

(a) The sympathetic nervous system responds to stressful situations
(b) The parasympathetic nervous system is not all that essential for life
(c) The autonomic nervous system is composed entirely of motor neurons
(d) The parasympathetic system is stimulated by the release of acetylcholine.

Both B and C are incorrect. The authors want you to go with C, but that would imply the parasympathetic nervous system isn't essential for life, which is also false.

What rev of the book do you have? My 2006 edition states option b) under 487 as:
(b) The parasympathetic nervous system *is* essential for life

What rev of the book do you have? My 2006 edition states option b) under 487 as:
(b) The parasympathetic nervous system *is* essential for life

I don't have my book here next to me, but I bought mine (new) in early 2006 so I'm guessing it's the edition published right before that.

What rev of the book do you have? My 2006 edition states option b) under 487 as: (b) The parasympathetic nervous system *is* essential for life

Revilla, my answer choice (B) says "The parasympathetic nervous system is essential for life" as well.

I bought the book new online but it is the 2006 Edition (copyright 1996-2006).