EK 1001 Questions in Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this book? I picked it up off Amazon and worked through the first 100 last night. So far, it seems to be a nice review of concepts, but I really don't like the way it's organized. It's organized by topic, and the questions start out extremely easy, progressing to harder questions. Therefore, it's difficult to pick up and have a question sample that's randomly selected by different topics, all with the same difficulty level. Also, the format is not MCAT based so there are no passage based questions (That I've seen). Has anybody worked through this book? Recommended? I just don't want to waste my time with this thing if I don't have to. Also, what is up with the blatant mistakes in this book? I've encountered 2 or 3 in the first 100 questions. I get the feeling that the author finished scribbling the last few questions while on the john and rushed directly to the presses upon flushing with no proofing commitee.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have the entire EK series. I found Orgo to be very helpful. I spent last winter vacation studying Orgo for the MCAT. I used EK subject book (very good) and Kaplan material, followed by 1001 series. 1001 series is more like a practice for the concepts that we learn from the subject book. It is not a true represenation of Orgo passages on the MCAT. This summer I am taking Kaplan and hope to do the (more or less) real MCAT type passages from their tests. So, 1001 is really testing you on correspoding lectures from their subject book. The way I thought of it was, if I couldn't answer something in 1001, then, I didn't master the topic well enough, I'd go back and read it. I'll see how effective my startegy is, come august!

Oh, the errrata i think is posted on their website, I know this is always annoying.

Good Luck!
Scout