EK 1001 or EK review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whournameiz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is better? The reviews or the ones with 1001 questions?Any suggestions for which subjects the EK is good for?

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

The 1001 books only have questions so if you need to review the material get the review books

is the verbal reasoning and math worth the money ? or is it no diff than what kaplan or princeton review go over?

Members don't see this ad :)
If your going to get the bio, chem, orgo and physics I would reccomend getting the set with verbal as well... you can get a good deal over at amazon or barnes n noble

like 110 or close to it so not too bad

I agree... stealing materials is not cool, especially if you find that they have helped you.

I'm not going to get in a pissing contest here, but everyone has a different situation and if you don't know mine then don't judge. Ever hear of the saying try walking in another mans shoes? I bet both of you have been in situations where you did something and someone else criticized you and then you got pissed because they did but didn't know the whole reason for it.

Oh and one more thing ever download music off the net? If so your in the same exact boat

The bottom line is what you did is illegal, and you should at least have the common sense not to discuss such on a public message board. On top of it you are violating the TOS that you agreed to when signing up for this forum. You're not supposed to talk about piracy, nor advocate such. You are right that I do not know your situation, but it doesn't give you the right to steal.

what's going on? who's steal what? i'm reading all the posts here but dont follow. :confused:

no he had put a suggestion that was removed.

Wait so what is the EK verbal reasoning and math about? Is it a bunch of common sense stuff thats not worth the money?

I guess if someone can answer this it will be more helpful, if I am taking the Kaplan review course which EK review books will be helpful ??

Bio, Ochem, Physics, Chem, Verbal/Math

bgreet said:
I agree... stealing materials is not cool, especially if you find that they have helped you.

To answer the OP's question, the EK Review books teach you the material. The 1001 problems are simple plug n chug type of problems that help you memorize formulas and improve your speed at basic problem solving. The 1001 problems are not representative of MCAT passage questions in type or difficulty. I think the 1001 questions are a great supplement but they shouldn't be used to replace the review books.

Their Bio, General Chemistry Physics and 101 Verbal passages are usefull. Their O-chem book is terrible.

I agree with daelroy...bio, physics, chem, and their verbal reasoning is useful, but not the ochem book. I have the 1001 series for bio, physics, and chem and although they are pretty good, if you don't have enough money, just get the review books. Try and stick to the full-length exams from AAMC and if you can a hold of the TPR, Kaplan, and Berkeley exams-perfect. Check on ebay because you might be able to get these exams at a more than reasonable price.

Oh, and to answer your question about which book to get if you're taking the Kaplan course...it really depends how strong/weak you are in the sciences/verbal. I took the Kaplan class too and still found the EK series more than useful. I took notes on all the Kaplan books, EK books, and did half the 1001 books. Kaplan has a great library of practice tests (discretes, sections, FL, topicals)-do these. If you don't have enough time, make sure you do all of their FL's and topicals. I thought that Kaplan's review books were pretty decent (some parts were confusing), but the EK series definitely helped clarify murky concepts and provided another perspective on re-learning this stuff.

Bottom line, if you have the time and money to get the EK books, then I would suggest you get them. They helped a lot for me, but other people may disagree.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Good luck!

I love their ochem book. It is short and it contains everything you need. I will say that if you aren't strong in ochem to start off with, you will need a different book. Their ochem is very straightforward. It doesn't explain things very well. But if you have a decent background, it is all you need

Just wondering why everyone thinks the orgo in examkrackers is so bad? I find it amazingly concise, and exactly the tools needed for the mcat. It teaches more concepts than throwing mechanisms at you. If you can see certain trends, and know what nucleophile is attacking where/ what electrophile is attacking, knowing whether something is substitution, addition, etc. etc. you will be fine. The mcat will be asking absurdly difficult questions that test whether you know your basics or not, not if you know anything really complex.