"either... or..." Only one part needs to be true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keikoblue2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused on the advice TBR gave. The question asked which of the following will increase the range R of the block when a bullet hits it and is embedded into the block, and the correct answer is: "Increasing either the initial speed of the bullet or the table height."

And the explanation, aside from the fact that increasing both factors does indeed lead to a greater range, was that because it has an "or" in it, so only one part of that sentence needs to be true for it to be correct.

Is this true for the actual MCAT? If it's an "either...or..." question, both parts will correspond? I find it difficult to believe that they won't put something like, "increasing either the speed of the bullet or the mass of the block," in which case the second part is not true, making this a false answer. If TBR did give sound advice, then it's a great strategy to save time but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bit confused on the advice TBR gave. The question asked which of the following will increase the range R of the block when a bullet hits it and is embedded into the block, and the correct answer is: "Increasing either the initial speed of the bullet or the table height."

And the explanation, aside from the fact that increasing both factors does indeed lead to a greater range, was that because it has an "or" in it, so only one part of that sentence needs to be true for it to be correct.

Is this true for the actual MCAT? If it's an "either...or..." question, both parts will correspond? I find it difficult to believe that they won't put something like, "increasing either the speed of the bullet or the mass of the block," in which case the second part is not true, making this a false answer. If TBR did give sound advice, then it's a great strategy to save time but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Think of it as an OR statement of any computer based language. So if either A or B is true, you get yada yada yada. What that means is both A and B have to be false to get nada nada nada. Anyways, that is what they mean.......and yes at run time for conditions joined by an OR block, typically first condition say A is evaluated, and if that is true, B is not even analyzed.

If (A OR B) then
response.write ('yada yada yada')
else
response.write('nada nada nada')
end if;