EIS 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAPinkDawg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings public health professionals! For those of you interested in applying for EIS class of 2017, let's talk here! The EIS 2016 conference agenda is now up (see below)! I hope to see you at the conference social on day one in Atlanta. Make sure to network!

http://www.cdcfoundation.org/eisaa/documents/65thAnnualEISConferenceDraftAgenda-at-a-Glance.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for starting this thread! I am just wondering how much chance a fresh graduate have with out much experience in the filed?

Update from the 2016 EIS Conference.
If you registered..

ZERISTA—CONFERENCE APP

Make your 2016 EIS conference experience more interactive and mobile—connect with other participants, build your own personal schedule, and share information with your colleagues! Watch for this week’s email explaining how to download Zerista, the EIS Conference mobile app. Make sure to download the app prior to the conference. You’ll never miss a beat at the 65th Annual EIS Conference with the mobile app!

Use this app to:

·See who's there and network—view the list of EIS conference attendees

·Send and receive private messages via the messaging icon

·Review the conference program book

·Get a sneak peek at the conference calendar of scientific sessions, recruiting events, and interview times

·Examine position descriptions

·Receive push notifications for announcements

·Share comments and takeaways from the conference via Twitter

·Participate in various conference polls and surveys

Just as an FYI, conference attendees I'll be at the Zika lunch and the EIS Recruitment event on day one of the conference.

The EIS 2017 application will open May 16!!

Reactions: 1 user
EIS Conference Recruitment event quick notes

Advice:
-Essays/Interviews
You should speak to what skills you hope to gain in EIS that will be
used after EIS is over.
-Express an interest in public health later on in life versus for the duration
of EIS. What are your public health goals?
-Discuss your ability to be flexible in location and job assignments!
-EIS will give you field experience. Think about what else EIS will provide you that you need to improve upon.

-If you make it past interviews and are accepted, EIS will fly you to Atlanta for the conference where you network with the division's/health departments with job openings (pre-match)
-Match to the supervisor/mentor versus the position description. Make sure you vibe with your mentor!

Thanks a lot UGAPinkDawg for the info. Also glad to learn that the 2017 application opens next week. I'm very much interested in applying for EIS, so lets talk and share the necessary information. I hope we will get accepted.
Hope we all have started preparing for the race, lets get started and have our recommendations ready as well. I am ready to share ideas, trying to get in touch with some EIS alumni members for more info.
All the best to all, Public health is the way to go and is for a good cause.

You're welcome! Let's encourage others who are applying to join this thread!

Good luck everyone. Excited to see who the new class will be.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm an incoming member of the EIS class of 2016. I followed the thread from last year and read through the thread from the previous year a lot during the application process and found it really helpful. I never commented but thought I'd give you all a bit of information from my experience with this process that you may find helpful and will hopefully take out some of the guesswork for you.

I want to start with a couple of disclaimers:

1) I am in no way, shape, or form writing in any official way for EIS. I have basically no inside knowledge and am only drawing on personal experience. What I tell you is personal opinion and definitely not official.
2) You should all be aware that EIS leadership monitors threads like this. Not in a "We're out to get you if you say the wrong thing" kind of way, but in a "We want to know what the applicants are hearing and what misinformation they might be getting" kind of way. Still, keep that in mind as you comment.

With that said, here are a few things I gathered about the application process:

1) The number of applicants obviously changes every year, but last year, I think we were told that over 600 people applied. There are roughly 80 positions each year. Rarely, there are more and occasionally less. I have no idea what the reasons are for the fluctuations. About 10 positions each year are given to international applicants. This year we only have 7 international classmates. Again, I don't know why. I've gathered from talking with other EIS officers and reading these threads that a large number of applicants are usually international (I think about half - but again, not official). It seems the classes are usually about half health professionals and half PhDs.

These aren't really numbers EIS gives out. Except for the number of applicants, we weren't told any numbers during our interviews, and I remember asking some officers during my interview and being told they don't know. Honestly, I suspect the program wants people to just take their application at face value and not worry about the numbers. So I'm a little reluctant to share this because I have no real evidence to back it up - basically just rumor, but I know having this information was really helpful to me to have a sense of where I stood, statically speaking.

2) Try not to conjecture too much. It's easy to speculate that maybe this year they'll take more officers because there's Zika or maybe they're holding on to the last group of interviews until after Halloween because they're too busy tracking candy poisonings, but honestly that stuff is just maddening and will never be confirmed or denied by the leadership. The application process is long. Try to be patient and not make yourself crazy.

3) Take the timeline at face value. If you call the office to ask when they'll make a decision about interviews, they're going to tell you the same information that's listed on the website. Even if interviews go out early (I can't remember if ours did or not), they're still going to tell you whatever the official posted date is.

4) That said, expect to get information last minute. You'd be amazed at how many things the staff is juggling at once. So try to be patient and not read too much into it if you haven't heard a lot from them. I received my interview date confirmation 2 weeks before the actual interview. For the conference, I received my travel itinerary just a few days before I left.

5) I really have no idea what EIS is looking for as a good candidate, but I think UGAPinkDawg really hit some important points in his earlier post. This is a training program, and they want you to be able to articulate what the training is going to do for you and your career in the long term. Also, most positions require you to work on teams, and being able to show that you can be a team player and get along with others was clearly important. Flexibility also seemed to be helpful in terms of where you're willing to go and what you're willing to do.

For interviews:

1) The cost of your transportation, housing, and food are paid by you, and each of these is also arranged by you. They didn't feed us on interview day. We had to use a break in our interview schedule to find somewhere to go eat, which wasn't hard but something you should know.

2) The interviews last year were held at the Century Center campus, not the main CDC campus. I don't know if it will be the same this year, but there's a hotel just a few blocks away, which will provide you a shuttle to the campus if they're in the same place this year.

3) We were asked to pick from a list of Centers, Institutes, and Offices (CIOs) and find three groups we wanted to interview with. You'll also have an interview with official EIS leadership. That last interview has a reputation for being very formal. The interviewers don't often react to what you're saying and will generally not give you feedback on your responses.

4) Last year, the interviews were pretty structured. Each interviewer was asked to pull from a set list of questions. I'm not going to divulge what questions I was asked, so please don't ask me to, but they were fairly standard interview style questions. Things like, "Give an example of a time you had to help handle a conflict." (That is not an actual question I was asked.) After asking those questions, most of my interviewers were a lot less formal and we just chatted casually.

This post is already really long, so I'm going to stop here. I'll try to swing back around later on and add information that may be helpful for those who are selected if you want. For now, good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I just sent in my application yesterday, and was very happy to find this thread. Good luck to everyone! Hopefully we can help each other get through the long wait ahead of us. I was fortunate enough to collaborate briefly with some EIS officers during an Epi-Aid incident at the county health department where I work, and that's how I found out about the program. Anyone else learn about it from EIS alumni? On the website, they seem to promote that kind of recruitment, so I wasn't sure.

Thank you for the above information sharing, that is some great food for thought.

Cheers!

Alright everyone! It's the 60 day countdown! While you're waiting for recommenders, you can do the data entry portions now! Also, you can track your application to see who has turned in his/her recommendation letters. I'll be submitting all pieces soon too!
Be patient (Like Denali2016 said), we should all hear about phase one in September-October!

Can you track the letters of reference before you officially submit the app? I am delaying the official submission while I craft my personal statement but I haven't seen any letter submissions yet. Either my letter-writers haven't submitted them or you have to have an official app to track......hmmmmm

Can you track the letters of reference before you officially submit the app? I am delaying the official submission while I craft my personal statement but I haven't seen any letter submissions yet. Either my letter-writers haven't submitted them or you have to have an official app to track......hmmmmm

Yes, you can! When you go to the "Application Status" page, click "View" next to "Track Your Application" and you can see who has submitted.
Its a great tool to notify your recommenders and remind them. I gave my colleagues a deadline over a month before the actual EIS application
deadline to account for any adjustments they need to make.

To any MD applicants- did you use your old Dean's Letter from when you were going through residency applications/match? My med school Dean's letter was signed by the Dean of Students of my med school over 10 years ago. The last time I applied for EIS a few years ago I just requested a copy of that letter. Curious what others have done. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is any age limit for EIS application?

To any MD applicants- did you use your old Dean's Letter from when you were going through residency applications/match? My med school Dean's letter was signed by the Dean of Students of my med school over 10 years ago. The last time I applied for EIS a few years ago I just requested a copy of that letter. Curious what others have done. Thanks!

Yes, I used my Dean's Letter from medical school.

Mine is finished too....except for letters of reference. Can't wait to hear if I get an interview.

Cool! NPR is interviewing EIS officers today on Georgia Public Broadcasting. Its CDC's 70th birthday today!
One month and 14 day countdown!

Does anyone have any advice on being pregnant during the EIS interview / while being an EIS officer? Thanks.

Yes, I used my Dean's Letter from medical school.

Thanks for the info- how many years ago did you graduate? I figure mine is going to be all about the specialty I chose, so I wasn't sure how that goes over in EIS... Especially 12 years after the fact.

Thanks!

For those of you that have previous applications....

I see the interviews take place in mid-October. Do they notify the interviewees in early October or in September?

Thanks for the info- how many years ago did you graduate? I figure mine is going to be all about the specialty I chose, so I wasn't sure how that goes over in EIS... Especially 12 years after the fact.

Thanks!

Almost a decade ago. There are several of us with fellowships and/or some attending experience, but also many have come right from residency.

Does anyone have any advice on being pregnant during the EIS interview / while being an EIS officer? Thanks.

No one has commented, but my thoughts are that it would not be an issue? I am guessing you are asking this because you will be visibly pregnant? Otherwise they probably wouldn't know. And if you are already pregnant, you will have delivered by the start of the program. Surely there have been pregnant officers in the past, and really it shouldn't be part of the questions they ask. If you are third trimester it may be hard for people not to ask you about it just as part of conversation :)

Congratulations and good luck with your pregnancy!

Application in, appears all support materials and recommendations are in. The application information states that OFFICIAL transcripts are not needed unless you are accepted into the program, so I have not requested them. Curious what y'all have done. I just don't like seeing those empty on the application tracking page, but my understanding is that it is not needed at this time. Did any of you go ahead and submit official copies? Thanks!

My track application says
"Your online EIS application has been successfully submitted. Check back to track receipt of supporting materials."

Less than two weeks left for your application submission everyone!

Hi Artemis6, if CDC doesn't ask for something, I'd suggest you wait until they do ask. Unofficial transcripts are fine for right now. If people are uncertain about transcripts, they can contact the EIS application center via email or phone.

Less than two weeks left for your application submission everyone!

Hi Artemis6, if CDC doesn't ask for something, I'd suggest you wait until they do ask. Unofficial transcripts are fine for right now. If people are uncertain about transcripts, they can contact the EIS application center via email or phone.

Yep, ten days to go!

Thanks, that is good advice. Probably best to send in exactly what is requested, no more, no less. Following instructions! I only voiced concerned because I am one of those who applied in the past and not all of my documents were received, which was a very frustrating end to my application cycle. One of those was a transcript that had been requested weeks in advance. I just want to get it right! :)

Good luck everyone!

Yep, ten days to go!

Thanks, that is good advice. Probably best to send in exactly what is requested, no more, no less. Following instructions! I only voiced concerned because I am one of those who applied in the past and not all of my documents were received, which was a very frustrating end to my application cycle. One of those was a transcript that had been requested weeks in advance. I just want to get it right! :)

Good luck everyone!
Application in, appears all support materials and recommendations are in. The application information states that OFFICIAL transcripts are not needed unless you are accepted into the program, so I have not requested them. Curious what y'all have done. I just don't like seeing those empty on the application tracking page, but my understanding is that it is not needed at this time. Did any of you go ahead and submit official copies? Thanks!

My track application says
"Your online EIS application has been successfully submitted. Check back to track receipt of supporting materials."
Just verifying, the only supporting documents currently needed are the ones that need to be uploaded correct? Nothing needs to be mailed yet?

Application submitted! Good luck everyone.

Application in....all supporting material including 4 letters of reference submitted. Nothing to do but wait.
GOOD LUCK ALL !!!!

Application in....all supporting material including 4 letters of reference submitted. Nothing to do but wait.
GOOD LUCK ALL !!!!
I found out yesterday night that my EIS application status says , all application documents have been received, application is being reviewed

I found out yesterday night that my EIS application status says , all application documents have been received, application is being reviewed

Do you already have your official transcripts in? I feel like all my materials are in but my application doesn't say that.
Now I am paranoid.

Where does your application say that?

Do you already have your official transcripts in? I feel like all my materials are in but my application doesn't say that.
Now I am paranoid.

Although I had sent my official transcripts, it never showed up in my "track your application"

Was told official transcripts not needed now. Don't be paranoid. I think they need to start reviewing early, send interview notices out in time for October interviews

Now I am paranoid.

I do not have official transcripts in, only unofficial, and mine says that all my documents have been received and my application is being reviewed. The application instructions state that the official transcripts are not needed unless you are selected as an officer. Sounds like you have your stuff in.

For me, the statement is at the top of the Track Your Application page, in a blue box. "All of your application materials have been received. Your application is being reviewed. Check back for an update on the status of your application."

Hope this helps!

I do not have official transcripts in, only unofficial, and mine says that all my documents have been received and my application is being reviewed. The application instructions state that the official transcripts are not needed unless you are selected as an officer. Sounds like you have your stuff in.

For me, the statement is at the top of the Track Your Application page, in a blue box. "All of your application materials have been received. Your application is being reviewed. Check back for an update on the status of your application."

Hope this helps!

This is what mine says. As you can see I have all my materials in. hmmmm.

Last edited:
This is what mine says. As you can see I have all my materials in....hmmmm.

That is cool how you smudged the info in the picture!

Don't worry! These applications likely go through several phases or land on several desks. I'm sure it will change soon. :)

It's the last day!!!

The "How to Apply" notes state:
  • Official transcripts or other proof will be required for applicants who are accepted into the program. They must be sent by the university registrar or recorder of records and received by January 31 of the year of entry into EIS

I feel like a little kid that is gazing longingly at the Christmas tree two weeks before it's Christmas. I want to open my presents now and see I got an interview :)
Don't mind me, just thinking out loud.

Reactions: 1 users
My status did change thanks for asking. I need to practice more of that patience that mother taught me as a child :)

I noticed that is a recurring theme from the previous years posts and this year. Everyone freaks out about notifications
and status changes and in the end, it all works out. Everyone finds out what they were supposed to find out. :)

Make no mistake, I will freak out and be impatient come late Sept-October. Who is with me? lol

Hello! I just joined the thread and have applied to the EIS class of 2017. I found this forum for the 2016 class and wanted to note it was very helpful in anticipating the process to come. I am a licensed veterinarian finishing my PhD in molecular virology (human) this winter.

Any predictions on when invites for interviews begin? My understanding is it's a rolling process.

Last year the interview notifications started the last week of September (Sept. 25). I think that is pretty standard.

Hello! I just joined the thread and have applied to the EIS class of 2017. I found this forum for the 2016 class and wanted to note it was very helpful in anticipating the process to come. I am a licensed veterinarian finishing my PhD in molecular virology (human) this winter.

Any predictions on when invites for interviews begin? My understanding is it's a rolling process.

Good luck! Last year, I received my email October 15th.