EIS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another friend received the Call on Saturday, that she has been wait-listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard when they will send out rejection emails? and anything else regarding the wait list?

The first round of accepted candidates have to commit by the end of Friday, so hopefully that means wait listed will be notified this week and then may be called next week to get a place. This is just my guess, but we were told for sure that we have to decide this week.

Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
The first round of accepted candidates have to commit by the end of Friday, so hopefully that means wait listed will be notified this week and then may be called next week to get a place. This is just my guess, but we were told for sure that we have to decide this week.

Good luck, everyone!
Hello,
Can you please share with us the number of people (Domestic and International) who participated in the conference call?

Hello,
Can you please share with us the number of people (Domestic and International) who participated in the conference call?
They didn't say, and there wasn't an introduction. When I logged on the system said like 27 ppl, but that included the CC and EIS folks. I'm sure more joined after, but they said they had no way to tell and that for time reasons they wouldn't do a roll call. There was a component of the call specifically for international questions, but I didn't stay on for that part since it was about visas and such. Sorry I'm not more help.

They didn't say, and there wasn't an introduction. When I logged on the system said like 27 ppl, but that included the CC and EIS folks. I'm sure more joined after, but they said they had no way to tell and that for time reasons they wouldn't do a roll call. There was a component of the call specifically for international questions, but I didn't stay on for that part since it was about visas and such. Sorry I'm not more help.
Thanks a lot!!

EIS class notifications are an ongoing process. Notification of status is projected to be finalized by early January.

All,

Please recognize that is an unofficial forum for the EIS program at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Official notifications for the EIS program and the upcoming EIS class will only come from the EIS program directly. Furthermore, EIS class notifications are an ongoing process, and official notifications of status are projected to be finalized in early January.

All,

Please recognize that is an unofficial forum for the EIS program at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Official notifications for the EIS program and the upcoming EIS class will only come from the EIS program directly. Furthermore, EIS class notifications are an ongoing process, and official notifications of status are projected to be finalized in early January.

Thank you. I hope we haven't been in any way representing ourselves as officials. For my part, I've tried to make sure no specific locations or things like that have been shared. It's just been an effort to connect and share information. In theory we're saving the CDC from answering a few more phone calls about when interview offers went out, etc. As you can tell, the program is hugely popular and I don't know that there was anything negative in all the 350+ comments made. I'd say that's a testament to the way you in the EIS manage such an overwhelming amount of work--especially given situations as we've had this year with the Ebola health crisis!

I believe that most people on this forum realize and understand that this is purely a sounding board and is in no way "official". It is very healthy to communicate with others during the application process. The small percentage of applicants actually being accepted into the program makes it a daunting process. I appreciate the conversations we have had and thank all of the individuals who have contributed to the discussion. Regardless of the outcome, I have high hopes for all of our careers. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm sad to see the conversations have stopped. It is a public forum and yes, anyone could be reading. We all likely know/guess our fate at this point "unofficially" in regards to the EIS program. I have my opinions of the process, as I'm sure we all do. Please don't let the fact that others may be reading impact your decision to openly discuss. We all have pseudo names and really, it's great for the program to understand how applicants feel. Express yourself (within reason) ;) and KNOW that this isn't the only path to greatness.

Keep your head up and either reapply next year or think of another path that better fits your life. But never let someone silence you; believe in yourself, your abilities, and your voice.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Error in editing this message

Last edited:
It seems like now that the first wave of accepted were required to respond last Friday, the next contacts should happen this week. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone give me a number to call to find out my status? My cdc application tracker reads " The EIS Selection Committee meets in early December. You will be notified by January 1 of the committee's decision."

I need to get my rejection, mourn for a day or two then switch to Holiday mode.

Can someone give me a number to call to find out my status? My cdc application tracker reads " The EIS Selection Committee meets in early December. You will be notified by January 1 of the committee's decision."

I need to get my rejection, mourn for a day or two then switch to Holiday mode.
The number is (404) 498-6110 or (888) 232-6348

...and the friendly reject email was just sent. All the best to everyone! I will say the email was much shorter than last year.

Last edited:
Finally got my rejection email too... now the two day mourning begins. I will be reapplying in August (maybe). Good luck to everyone

Angiecou and Mening, sorry to hear the bad news you both are accomplished applicants! Did they call or just email? I haven't heard anything yet but I have been out of internet and cell service since last Friday.

Angiecou and Mening, sorry to hear the bad news you both are accomplished applicants! Did they call or just email? I haven't heard anything yet but I have been out of internet and cell service since last Friday.
Just email... but a nice one. Beats waiting another couple weeks for a "rejection call"

Just email... but a nice one. Beats waiting another couple weeks for a "rejection call"
I believe they only call for acceptance/ waitlisted individuals. Rejections/ "thanks for applying" all come via email.

I believe they only call for acceptance/ waitlisted individuals. Rejections/ "thanks for applying" all come via email.

Sigh, thanks for the opinions. Do either of you know if your application status changed? Still no word yet at all... I feel trapped waiting on Godot here...

First time poster to the thread here, although I've been following along (many thanks for the helpful information everyone!). JJ_epi and others, just wanted to let you know that the notification for waitlist/prematch was sent out this evening (I didn't receive a phone call---just an e-mail). The waitlist/prematch candidates have to fill out a form by next Wednesday indicating whether one is interested in being placed on the waitlist, prematch, or both. Regarding the prematch, there are descriptions of 12 field (i.e. state) positions, and those interested in the prematch are asked to check off sites of interest. Although I received the waitlist/prematch e-mail, my application status hasn't changed on the website (i.e. EIS Selection Committee meets in early Dec, notification of status by Jan 01, 2015). Hope this is helpful---relevant sections from waitlist/prematch letter below.

The EIS Selection Committee recently concluded the review process and unfortunately we cannot offer you a general position in the EIS 2015 class. However, you were identified as a potential Prematch/Waitlist candidate.

Read this email carefully, then complete and return the attached Prematch/Wait List Response Form no later than Wednesday, December 22, 2014, 4:00 pm EST to XXX. Please note an indication of interest does NOT guarantee a spot in the 2015 EIS class. We will begin the Prematch/Wait List process in mid-January.

In the attached document you will find the position descriptions for 12 high priority field assignments available for the 2015 Prematch. ...we ask that you base your decision on the written position description; you will be given ample opportunity to discuss the assignment if you are selected to interview for a Prematch assignment.

Please complete the Prematch EIS Field Assignment Interest Response form (attached) and indicate your interest.

·The “Wait List” will be consulted in the event a 2015 EIS Officer drops out of the class before the July 1 start date.

·The Prematch/Wait List will be consulted mid-January to fill high priority assignments prior to the EIS Conference in April 2015.

·You can indicate interest in both.

Only a small portion of EIS applicants on the Prematch/Wait List will be selected for the EIS 2015 class. In the event that you are not selected for a Prematch assignment, we encourage you to consider reapplying next year.

Last edited:
Hi,

Got the prematch/wait list email too. Basically, will have to wait until at least mid January to know the final status as nothing is confirmed at this point (no straight rejection or acceptance). I feel it is good to still have a shot but the wait is a pain!

I`m wondering if those who were accepted had the chance already to select from the prematch assignments (and those 12 high priority ones are the remaining assignments for us in the wait list) or if you are still in this process?

Regardless of where you`re in this process, I wish you the best.

Is anyone else still waiting for some sort of call/email? I see that people have been accepted, rejected, and waitlisted at this point, but I still haven't heard anything. It'd be nice to know something before things go quiet for the holidays...

I'm around Stage 7 of the 10 stages of grief...(I'm trying to be funny)

Last edited:
Got an email last evening regarding waitlist/pre-match.

Is anyone else still waiting for some sort of call/email? I see that people have been accepted, rejected, and waitlisted at this point, but I still haven't heard anything. It'd be nice to know something before things go quiet for the holidays...
I am in the same boat as you. I have not heard anything one way or the other. I am assuming this means I was not selected for the waitlist etc as the above post stated:
The EIS Selection Committee recently concluded the review process and unfortunately we cannot offer you a general position in the EIS 2015 class. However, you were identified as a potential Prematch/Waitlist candidate.
I don't know why the rejection email has not been sent yet but I really wish I would get it so I could move on.

I am in the same boat as you. I have not heard anything one way or the other. I am assuming this means I was not selected for the waitlist etc as the above post stated:
I don't know why the rejection email has not been sent yet but I really wish I would get it so I could move on.

That's the assumption I've been going with too. It seems strange that their system does not send out batched emails for rejections and waitlist candidates. Part of me still hopes that they haven't made a final decision with my application :)

That's the assumption I've been going with too. It seems strange that their system does not send out batched emails for rejections and waitlist candidates. Part of me still hopes that they haven't made a final decision with my application :)
ME TOO and that is what is killing me. Well it will be what it will be. Good luck to you.

It seems like a lot of us are on the wait list... Although after reviewing the prematch selections it is hard to think that accepted candidates won't want all of them...

It seems like a lot of us are on the wait list... Although after reviewing the prematch selections it is hard to think that accepted candidates won't want all of them...

Yes, that`s why I was wondering if the accepted candidates already picked and those 12 high priority assignments are the remaining ones for candidates in the wait list? I don`t think only 12 states need EISO this year.

Yes, that`s why I was wondering if the accepted candidates already picked and those 12 high priority assignments are the remaining ones for candidates in the wait list? I don`t think only 12 states need EISO this year.
The same 12 assignments were offered to the accepted candidates!!

It was my understanding that the prematch was offered to accepted EIS candidates first and then if a match could not be made the site would match with the prematch wait list. Given the excellent prematch options I am not optimistic that they will need the wait list.

That was my understanding also, although the prematch process is not entirely clear... An EISO whom I spoke to during interviews said that she was initially offered the prematch process (instead of a general position), which she turned down, then ended up being offered a general spot... Who knows how all this works.

I'm guessing that most accepted EIS candidates opt for the general match in April unless they are geographically constrained and the prematch positions make sense for them. Hence, the waitlist is probably used for geographically remote/"unpopular" assignments---i.e. Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Alaska. But yes, like JJ_epi, I'm not counting on getting a spot through the prematch.

Thanks for the info! This makes things more difficult than it is. I think it is time to move on!

How many people from the GENERAL list opted for pre-match?
Just trying to do some mathematics.....with a lot of assumptions!!

We could see the rematch list even though dh isn't eligible for them since he hasn't defended. So it's the long wait til April for us no matter what. I'm assuming, though, that accepted applicants who are eligible for rematch will have a similar timeline to express interest this week and then find out in January if they're prematched.

Good luck, everyone!

I wanted to thank mlkmnsgrl very much for starting this post, and for everyone's contributions. I just found it. I had applied to the Fellowship this year, and received a rejection email in early Dec. I was pretty bummed about it, but feel much better after having read the comments in this forum. I have a question for mlkmnsgrl. You mentioned that your husband was able to attend the EIS Conference in 2014. Do you know how one can attend; do you have to be invited especially? Thanks for your help!

I wanted to thank mlkmnsgrl very much for starting this post, and for everyone's contributions. I just found it. I had applied to the Fellowship this year, and received a rejection email in early Dec. I was pretty bummed about it, but feel much better after having read the comments in this forum. I have a question for mlkmnsgrl. You mentioned that your husband was able to attend the EIS Conference in 2014. Do you know how one can attend; do you have to be invited especially? Thanks for your help!

I'm very glad it's helped. Sorry to hear about your application this year, but for sure apply again! From what we've heard a good number of chosen candidates are repeat applicants. As far as the conference, it's free and open to the public as long as you're registered, and I think they have a set number of public slots open, but I don't know how many. I don't remember when registration opened for it...maybe February? It was a very helpful opportunity to meet the different centers, alumni, current officers, etc. They all have booths set up to talk to the current incoming officers but are also happy to talk with future applicants. Friday is incoming class only, so it's really just Monday-Thursday.

There is an EIS Alumni Association travel scholarship that helps cover the hotel, etc, and also gets you an extra foot in the door, so to speak, because you have a special scholars lunch with some of the EIS selection committee and last year, at least, the acting Surgeon General was there! Receiving the scholarship sort of puts you on their radar. They don't advertise it widely. My husband received an email from his epi department. I think they had more applicants than usual last year and about 15 people were given the award. Having the opportunity to be a recipient is why this whole thread got started. We wanted to share some of what we learned as far as application advice because there was so little out there to go on and because we know how lucky we are to live close enough to come down.

I hope that helps! It was absolutely worth the trip down to Atlanta. We actually made it a family vacation and stayed in a little vacation rental that was 7 nights for the price of about 2 in the hotel the conference is held at. It was such fun to do the EIS Prediction Run and see the camaraderie that so plainly exists among current officers as well as alumni. It's like a lifetime family network that you'll always have, and seeing that was a big confirmation to us that he should apply. Now if he can just get this pesky dissertation defended! :)

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, as well as the future Class of 2016 and beyond!

mlkmnsgrl, This is extremely helpful and timely information! Thank you so much for your openness and time investment in all of your excellent posts! I'm sure his dissertation will go well! Good luck with your upcoming family move and new adventure!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who are seeking closure on their rejection, I feel the need to share my thoughts.

For both of my application years, I have reached out to people who interviewed me and those who were also close to the selection committee process. I was seeking ways to improve my application and to receive general feedback. Both years I have received the same feedback of "we're not sure why you were not selected, you received high ratings." I highlight this to emphasize that this is a human process. Individuals are making the decision and who knows why one person is chosen over the other if two candidates are equally rated highly. This year, I was interviewed by a 'fill-in' person because the selection committee member was unable to make the interview date due to other priorities. As soon as I heard this, I internally knew my chances were slim to none based upon this human factor. If this person had two candidates on paper in front of them, and they both rated equally high, but they only met one of the candidates - it is more likely that they will chose the person they met versus someone they did not.

This is one example of the human factor in this process, regardless of the final points calculated for each person. For the people who were not selected and feel comfortable in their abilities, believe that it wasn't you but more likely the process.

Cheers to all and have a lovely New Year, the next step is just ahead of us!

Last edited:
I think this is very insightful and makes a lot of sense!

Does anyone know if participating in another fellowship program at CDC makes you ineligible to apply for EIS?

Does anyone know if participating in another fellowship program at CDC makes you ineligible to apply for EIS?

I believe earlier in the posting another contributor indicated they were currently in another CDC fellowship position while applying. There is space to list CDC and other organization fellowships on the application, thus I do not believe it disqualifies you to have other fellowships.

also Happy New Year everyone!

I think you are overemphasizing the human element in EIS decision making. Bottom line: EIS wants to select the best class, but also a diverse class with wide ranging skill sets. You may have had a perfect interview, but if your skill set is similar to 20 others, and they only need 3 of that kind, well your odds of getting in are probably much lower.

For those who are seeking closure on their rejection, I feel the need to share my thoughts.

For both of my application years, I have reached out to people who interviewed me and those who were also close to the selection committee process. I was seeking ways to improve my application and to receive general feedback. Both years I have received the same feedback of "we're not sure why you were not selected, you received high ratings." I highlight this to emphasize that this is a human process. Individuals are making the decision and who knows why one person is chosen over the other if two candidates are equally rated highly. This year, I was interviewed by a 'fill-in' person because the selection committee member was unable to make the interview date due to other priorities. As soon as I heard this, I internally knew my chances were slim to none based upon this human factor. If this person had two candidates on paper in front of them, and they both rated equally high, but they only met one of the candidates - it is more likely that they will chose the person they met versus someone they did not.

This is one example of the human factor in this process, regardless of the final points calculated for each person. For the people who were not selected and feel comfortable in their abilities, believe that it wasn't you but more likely the process.

Cheers to all and have a lovely New Year, the next step is just ahead of us!

I understand the argument about diversity and skills of applicants, but I think this will not matter until the assignment matching stage (everyone is selected initially without knowing what assignment they will be useful for). Based on the assignment descriptions we received during interviews, it seemed that an applicant`s background doesn't matter that much when matching to an assignment (it is a training fellowship and not a job per se). Therefore, I think the human element is indeed a critical factor in making EIS selection decisions, but this is expected and is understandable.

I completely agree with you PHDr. It's expected with this process. Not sure my statement was over-emphasizing things...I would love to see the social science stats on this though ;) The whole process is such an enigma, even to those who have been part of the process (who freely spoke of this).

Regardless of the seemingly lottery-like odds even if you make the interview round, it's an amazing program with endless opportunities once you're done successfully. Most of the people appreciate the program while they're in it. So again, cheers to all accepted. I won't apply again but the experience was well, an experience. Hats off to the said legend who applied seven times and finally was accepted that 7th time!

"PHDr, post: 16041782, member: 333085"]I understand the argument about diversity and skills of applicants, but I think this will not matter until the assignment matching stage (everyone is selected initially without knowing what assignment they will be useful for). Based on the assignment descriptions we received during interviews, it seemed that an applicant`s background doesn't matter that much when matching to an assignment (it is a training fellowship and not a job per se). Therefore, I think the human element is indeed a critical factor in making EIS selection decisions, but this is expected and is understandable.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, JJ_epi. Now that you mention it, I think I do remember that being on the application. Good to know!

I believe earlier in the posting another contributor indicated they were currently in another CDC fellowship position while applying. There is space to list CDC and other organization fellowships on the application, thus I do not believe it disqualifies you to have other fellowships.

also Happy New Year everyone!

Any news about the pre-match???