EHR Access During Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blunt Dissection

"Keep poking until it's out."
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, but do medical students typically get access to EHR while on rotations? I'm sure it probably varies depending on the location, but I remember when I was a research coordinator that we had remote access to Epic so that even when we weren't on, we could screen our department for eligible research candidates and such. Since most rotations are only 4 weeks, and they might not be at large academic centers, I feel like HR departments would rather not have to go through the trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had access at every rotation (one that was read-only and didn't allow student notes, but I've always been allowed to look up records).

Members don't see this ad :)
I had access and we were able to write med student progress notes in our EHR. Of course, they would eventually get deleted, but it was good practice.

Oh wow that's actually pretty cool to know. Did you guys get training on how to access the various parts of the EHR at like your orientation to the site or something? I'd consider myself tech savvy, but some of the EHRs I've seen are so convoluted that simply finding where a patient's pending orders is difficult.