Egyptian Med school grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hzma

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Just wondering if anyone here graduated from Egypt and is doing/finished residency in the US? Know of any Egyptian-American Medical organizations to join?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hzma said:
Hey everyone!
Just wondering if anyone here graduated from Egypt and is doing/finished residency in the US? Know of any Egyptian-American Medical organizations to join?

Thanks!
Hello hmza,
I graduated from Dental School in Egypt..I haven't heard of any Egyptian-American Medical nor Dental organizations..I hope that one day WE will initiate one- I have realized that you just started this thread yesterday, and there has already been 18 views!! I hope all Egyptians join us here..medical and dental :) By the way, I'm joining the international dental program at Loma Linda,CA in Sept. 06 Insha2 Alla.

hi ambitiousdent,

Same here . I graduated at cairo university school of dentistry. I got the NDB parts 1 and 2 and have been waiting endlessly for the past 2 years to take the california bench exam. And now that the format has changed, i'm not even sure I have a chance at passing the exam, if I was ever sceduled to take it.
So basically I don't know where to go from here. Any advice????
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mabrouk a3l program ambitious dent! And good luck futurdent in your endevours- its a tough way, but you'll get there isa, tawakal a3la Allah, wallahi howa al musta3an. I should now, I worked so hard the past few years, and I never thought I would get anywhere, and now I'm almost there for my dream to come true (alh). (Almost- still need da3watku) Its nice to know there are other masraween out there!
:)

Alsalamo 3alaykom

Dear Futuredentist: Duggan is offering a course with the new format..He also has a supplemental course for those who had previously taken the old one. I took the last Bench exam-in Nov. but unfortunately didn't pass :( Their grading is very bad.
What year did you graduate from Cairo?

Dear hmza: wa ni3ma bilAllah..likol mogtahidin naseeb. :thumbup: Rabina ma3ak.

ambitiousdent said:
Alsalamo 3alaykom

Dear Futuredentist: Duggan is offering a course with the new format..He also has a supplemental course for those who had previously taken the old one. I took the last Bench exam-in Nov. but unfortunately didn't pass :( Their grading is very bad.
What year did you graduate from Cairo?

Dear hmza: wa ni3ma bilAllah..likol mogtahidin naseeb. :thumbup: Rabina ma3ak.
Hi,
I heard that the NOV. exam was very tough and that very few people passed.
I graduated in 1998. when did u graduate?
I took my bench course last feb. at UCLA. And i have never been scheduled to take the exam. UCLA made a supplemental course for the new format, too. But it's a little over $1500, and that's a discounted price cause I took the course with them before. I wish I hadn't taken the course before that format change. It would have been cheaper !
I also heard that we have to buy a manikin and other stuff for the new format. I'm starting to think it's just a waste of money. Even if I spend a few thousands more, there is no guarantee that I will ever be scheduled to take the exam , which seems to have become even harder to pass.
Maybe it's time to find another way out, or even change my plans and work as a dental assistant we khalas!

Asalamu Alaykum girls ,

2ult bas ammdi huduur w ab3att essallam !!

Dear Futurdentist,
The exam was ok..I mean like the mockboards- if you don't get test anxiety. The problem is that there are no definite criteria for grading..so what one examiner may find "passing" another may "fail" it! It's just an unfair grading system...inta we 7azak!
This April there are 3 exams scheduled at 2 locations..which means that you have a very high chance of getting in. Call the board and ask them.
Regarding the manikin and new typodonte..don't worry; there are alot of Egyptians who you can borrow these things from. Elmasreyeen gid3an awy!
You can send me a PM with your contact number or email and I can give you further details.
By the way I graduated 2000, and my husband 1999.

ambitiousdent said:
Dear Futurdentist,
The exam was ok..I mean like the mockboards- if you don't get test anxiety. The problem is that there are no definite criteria for grading..so what one examiner may find "passing" another may "fail" it! It's just an unfair grading system...inta we 7azak!
This April there are 3 exams scheduled at 2 locations..which means that you have a very high chance of getting in. Call the board and ask them.
Regarding the manikin and new typodonte..don't worry; there are alot of Egyptians who you can borrow these things from. Elmasreyeen gid3an awy!
You can send me a PM with your contact number or email and I can give you further details.
By the way I graduated 2000, and my husband 1999.
Hi ambitiousdent,

Do you think that maybe since u graduated 2000 , your husband 1999, and I graduated 1998 we might actually know each other? I think there's a big chance!!! We must at least have some common contacts.:)
I'm gonna send u my email in a PM.

Thanks!

yesmeena said:
Asalamu Alaykum girls ,

2ult bas ammdi huduur w ab3att essallam !!

velcome to ze egibtian sread! izayik ya qamar! :love:

hey HZMA
mabrook 3al patho residency! (i knew abt it from ur other posts)
very happy for u man. i look up to u now as a role model!
can u plzz share ur story with us (including all the tiny weeny details)?!
thxxx man we mabroooook... :)

hello??
HZMA u there? tab any1 there?
Shhhh......Silence!
es7o

Sorry, just saw ur post,

DustyDog said:
hey HZMA
mabrook 3al patho residency! (i knew abt it from ur other posts)
very happy for u man. i look up to u now as a role model!
can u plzz share ur story with us (including all the tiny weeny details)?!
thxxx man we mabroooook... :)

I'm not there yet, but da3watak! (Match is final in March). Sure, I'd be happy to answer any questions u have about the process up till now. I donno where to start? What do u want to know? 3enaya leek!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you finished with med school? Which gama3 r u from? I graduated from Cairo Uni.

hzma said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
Dear hmza,
You were asking about Egyptian-American Medical organizations. I was watching a program on "ART America" named " Arabi ta7t eldo2", in which they host a succesful Arab-American who reveals his success story. Each week there's a new hero. I'm very proud of this program-It really shows that Arabs can be succesful in all fields and it motivates younger Arabs.
This week's guest was a doctor that founded "The Palestine Children's Relief Fund" www.PCRF.net I wanted to share this with everyone as it really touched me. I wish one day we( people in this forum) will help people in our countries in the same manner. Ya RAB :)

PS. This program is broadcasted on Tuesdays 12 pm Pacific Time.

hzma said:
Sorry, just saw ur post,

I'm not there yet, but da3watak! (Match is final in March). Sure, I'd be happy to answer any questions u have about the process up till now. I donno where to start? What do u want to know? 3enaya leek!
rabena yewafa2ak
thx man

im a 3MS ain shams. im taking Step1 this summer isa but i didnt apply yet

well if u could type down ur medical timeline, i wud be more than happy!
wut were ur scores on STEP1&2?
did u take Step1 while in medical school walla after graduation wid STEP 2?
was Step 2 CS tough? was there any discrimination against IMGs?
how were ur interviews?
how many programs did u apply to?& eventually how many sent u interview invitations?
which programs did u apply to?
did u use any IMG websites which charge a certain fee to help u process ur application?
r u on a J1/H1 visa?
ma3leshi 7ate2il 3aleik awiiii bas i really appreciate ur reply
thxx man

Wow thanks ambitious dent. May we also do something like that.

There's the annual conference for the Egyptian American Youth Alliance in March in VA, someone posted about. here's the website:
www.eaay.org

i heard last yr the Egyptian ambassador spoke.

DustyD, check ur mail, I sent u a PM.

i am a US citizen currently studying in a Eastern European Medical Program (6 years ALL in English)....i am finishing with the 2nd by June, and wanted to know if ANY school in Cairo would accept me as a transfer to the 3rd year????

does anyone know if this is possible? any relevant numbers or emails addresses i can contact of the school?

i really want to switch to Egypt because i hear the clinicals are great and Egypt is warm, plus i really want to learn arabic...please please please help anyone...i been looking for info for the past 1.5 years, and would have made the move a long time ago if given the oppurtunity...but is it possible to TRANSFER FROM A EUROPEAN MED SCHOOL???

i really want to know how it is studying in Kasr Al Ainy? is it difficult to pass? oral or written exams?

which of the two schools is better Ain Shams or Kasr Al Ainy?

again thanks to anyone that help...jaazakhalaa

salam everyone

i am a US citizen currently studying in a Eastern European Medical Program (6 years ALL in English)....i am finishing with the 2nd by June, and wanted to know if ANY school in Cairo would accept me as a transfer to the 3rd year????

does anyone know if this is possible? any relevant numbers or emails addresses i can contact of the school?

i really want to switch to Egypt because i hear the clinicals are great and Egypt is warm, plus i really want to learn arabic...please please please help anyone...i been looking for info for the past 1.5 years, and would have made the move a long time ago if given the oppurtunity...but is it possible to TRANSFER FROM A EUROPEAN MED SCHOOL???

i really want to know how it is studying in Kasr Al Ainy? is it difficult to pass? oral or written exams?

omarca said:
salam everyone

Salams Omarca,
I think there was another thread where username Rana was trying to transfer from the US. Its probably the same way so u might want to pm her and see what happened.
I do know that lots of Eastern E. graduates came to our uni for their intern yr (imtiaz).
I graduated from Kasr el Ainy, and I'd be happy to answer for u any qs u might have.
Studying all in English. But the professors explain in Arabic. Some professors if u take private lessons with will explain in English if u want them to.
The most difficult thing is the crowdedness, which we avoided by taking private lessons in smaller groups, and the memorization which is extensive. Exams were mostly essay writing when I was there. There was a lot of patient exposure during the clinical yrs, which was great like u said. DustyDog is there now, he might be able to tell u more about how it is now.

As for which is better Cairo or Ain shams, it depends on the department, some departments are stronger in Ain Shams, others in Cairo. I've generally heard that Cairo Uni is easier than Ain Shams.

Salams!

hzma said:
velcome to ze egibtian sread! izayik ya qamar! :love:

Just want to clarify... I'm a girl not a guy... mish ba3akis walla haga! :laugh: hzma are my initials bass.

hzma said:
Just want to clarify... I'm a girl not a guy... mish ba3akis walla haga! :laugh: hzma are my initials bass.

lol. At first I thought you were a guy and kont fakrak bet3akes.....then I read your previous posts and realized you're a girl

hey
i am a fresh graduate of Ain Shams Medical school ..I have just finished my internship 1 week ago..however i am moving to USA because my husband is a US citizen .. so I really wouldn't recommend for you to study medicine in Egypt ! schools here are not organized espeacially in medical schools and it rally sucks!!..Ain Shams is more difficlut school that Cairo medical school.
I think you can transfer from European to Egyptian medical school if you want i can send to you the email address of my school or i can ask the "office of doctors affairs " in my school about the transfer thing for you.

good luck

hzma said:
Salams Omarca,
I think there was another thread where username Rana was trying to transfer from the US. Its probably the same way so u might want to pm her and see what happened.

Salams!

Hey,
Yeah me and Omarca have talked before...isn't it right that Kasr El Ainy public universites in general only accept ppl with Egyptian citizenships? I think that's the case, but correct me if I'm wrong.
As for me, I realized that they won't accept any of my American credits so I'm waiting until next year to apply and go back to Year 1 (I'm only a freshman tho, so I only wasted one year...I figured it wasn't that bad).

hzma said:
DustyD, check ur mail, I sent u a PM.

Could you share the timeline that you gave DustyD with us too? Basically "what steps Egyptian grads gotta take right after Imtayaz (Internship) to be able to practice in the USA". Thanx!

~Rana said:
Hey,
Yeah me and Omarca have talked before...isn't it right that Kasr El Ainy public universites in general only accept ppl with Egyptian citizenships? I think that's the case, but correct me if I'm wrong.
As for me, I realized that they won't accept any of my American credits so I'm waiting until next year to apply and go back to Year 1 (I'm only a freshman tho, so I only wasted one year...I figured it wasn't that bad).

Actually Kasr el Ainy accepts people of all citizenships, only non-Egyptians pay more, for tuition.

Congratulations for finally coming to a decision Rana.
My advice for you would be: take private lessons from the first yr, try to understand the system from the beginning, instead of fighting it. Learn how to memorize. Don't have too many high expectations. And be persistant. (The last two are advice of Dr. Hussein Khairy who if u are lucky some yrs from now u can attend w/ him in Surgery!) And don't expect wonders from yourself at the beginning, instead take it slow, and give yourself a chance to adjust.
Oh, and learn arabic! That is definately a good idea. :) Good luck!

I personally was from an American school system, and the public Egy education is very different. But. If you work hard independantly you'll learn a lot and see a lot. And socially alh I met the most wonderful of people that make everything worth it I swear. I have NO regrets. :thumbup:

~Rana said:
Could you share the timeline that you gave DustyD with us too? Basically "what steps Egyptian grads gotta take right after Imtayaz (Internship) to be able to practice in the USA". Thanx!

Of course! Sorry I don't check this thread much. I'll try to come more often.
Bismillah:
First off is the steps: Step 1: around 6-8-12 mos to prepare-Step 2: around 4-6 mos-Step 2 CS: around 1 mo- Step 3 i don't know i heard around 2 mos esp. if u'd just finished the step 2s. (These are all according with Kaplan courses, I don't know how long independant studiers need, maybe less?)

Now if u prepare from before, u can take step 1/2 during imtiaz yr, which will save u a lot of time. And of course it depends how high you want to score; it depends how well u knew ur stuff from college; wether u prepared during college; wether or not ur working at the same time, or have other responsibilities. Yaani, less/More time everyone's different. And of course it depends how smart u are! :rolleyes: Not really, we all know its not about smartness. More like who has a social life and who doesn't. (sigh, oh well.)

Then u also have the match process:
Have ur scores in by Sept before the match, at least step 1, and 2CK. The whole match process takes around 6 mos: Sept to March, where u should be in the states so u can go to interviews. You apply in Sept through this online thing called ERAS that sends ur application stuff to programs. Then u wait to hear from them, u go to interviews if ur lucky, in Feb u join the NRMP to rank ur programs 1- 30 (if u got 30 interviews and went to all of them! in which case u'd be too cool to be writing on this forum ;) ), and wait till march 13th where hopefully u got ur 1st choice.
Or u might "prematch" where u sign somewhere sometime a long the way, which is a lot less nerve racking.

So that's the whole thing, total 3la ba3duh: 2-4 yrs avg is what I've heard and seen.

I'd be happy to answer ur qs!
tc.

hzma said:
Of course! Sorry I don't check this thread much. I'll try to come more often.
Bismillah:
First off is the steps: Step 1: around 6-8-12 mos to prepare-Step 2: around 4-6 mos-Step 2 CS: around 1 mo- Step 3 i don't know i heard around 2 mos esp. if u'd just finished the step 2s. (These are all according with Kaplan courses, I don't know how long independant studiers need, maybe less?)

Now if u prepare from before, u can take step 1/2 during imtiaz yr, which will save u a lot of time. And of course it depends how high you want to score; it depends how well u knew ur stuff from college; wether u prepared during college; wether or not ur working at the same time, or have other responsibilities. Yaani, less/More time everyone's different. And of course it depends how smart u are! :rolleyes: Not really, we all know its not about smartness. More like who has a social life and who doesn't. (sigh, oh well.)

Then u also have the match process:
Have ur scores in by Sept before the match, at least step 1, and 2CK. The whole match process takes around 6 mos: Sept to March, where u should be in the states so u can go to interviews. You apply in Sept through this online thing called ERAS that sends ur application stuff to programs. Then u wait to hear from them, u go to interviews if ur lucky, in Feb u join the NRMP to rank ur programs 1- 30 (if u got 30 interviews and went to all of them! in which case u'd be too cool to be writing on this forum ;) ), and wait till march 13th where hopefully u got ur 1st choice.
Or u might "prematch" where u sign somewhere sometime a long the way, which is a lot less nerve racking.

So that's the whole thing, total 3la ba3duh: 2-4 yrs avg is what I've heard and seen.

I'd be happy to answer ur qs!
tc.

Thanx for all the info!!! I'm glad u don't have ne regrets, YAY. *sigh* Encourages me...gives me confidence!! So basically, after Imtiyaz I don't have to do anything other than the USMLE's and apply for residency? So no foreign graduate exams or any extras right?

Asalamu Alaykum Dear H.,

Thought this link might interest you ; http://www.imana.org/mc/page.do

Take care , salam .

hzma said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks!

hzma said:

ma3leshi bas wutz a prematch?!

we ITS MARCH!
how was ur Match?
kam-kam?! ;)

Hey Dusty D.! :)

A prematch is for FMGs. If they interview somewhere and that place likes them, they can sign a contract outside the match. pretty cool!

Yup, I pre-matched alhamdlilah where I was dreaming of! Now I'm off to take a nice vacation before starting the real world in July isa!

There is an Egyptian American Medical Society in NY and they hold annual dinners and events.

3. Egyptian American Medical Society
Dr. Alla Elrafei, President
Contact info

Asalamu Alaykum Dear H.,

Finally the word is out ! Mabrooooook , just wanted to announce it here & give you the praise you deserve for doing such a great job masha2Allah & being a role model for so many including myself !

Good luck with your residency isA , you go girl !!! :thumbup:

Hope to see you soon ??

hzma said:
Hey Dusty D.! :)

A prematch is for FMGs. If they interview somewhere and that place likes them, they can sign a contract outside the match. pretty cool!

Yup, I pre-matched alhamdlilah where I was dreaming of! Now I'm off to take a nice vacation before starting the real world in July isa!

Well seems like an intresting forum here :)..I'm a 6th year medical student In kAAU in Jeddah ,ksa ..half egyption half saudi<the prettier half is the egyption :p> .I'm thinking of joining kaplan heliopolis after my internship here in jeddah for USMLE step 1 and 2 ..Wondering if anyone can help out with some info abt the tuition,durations,benifits ,scores,,,etc anything really would be a help .Somtimes i think maybe it's not worth the hassle <and the frustration if i don't get excepted after all that> if i can just do my canadian exam here in Riyadh and end up in canada <since it's easier for us here as saudis> but again u never know what cld happen ..

My second question i really would want to establish a career in Egypt <yeah i know im crazy sue me> i know it's very competitive in Egypt even for Egyptions themselves but do u think it's possible to work in an egyption hospital if im saudi ..I have a chance to get an Egyption nationality since my mom is ,but i really don't know how high are the possibilties of establishing a career in Egypt ..?.

And congrats to all of those who got excepted in their residencey program..3o2balan ya rab..

Asalamu Alaykum ,

Address; 31 ElHegaz St., Heliopolis,
Telephone & Fax ;02-450-2142
Mobile ; 010-577-1117
Email ; [email protected]

There are branches in Dokki & Alexandria & even at Jeddah , Riyadh & AlKhobar !

Tuition somewhere around 7000 le (possibly +500 le) , for 3 month's full access or for a year with limited visits .

Can usually meet people doing the same step & form a support group , ( clearly SDN takes care of that for alot of us !) & kinda corners you into finishing the videos within that certain time-frame ( if self-discipline isn't your strongest point !)

Scores really depend on personal performance & how many questions you practice doing .....

Hope this little bit helps, your other questions are a bit deep , so I'll turn the mic over to someone else ! Good luck !

PS; I'd strongly recommend looking into & deciding which path you'll take ; Canadian / USMLE / Egypt , so you can invest all your energy into whichever , or else you'll just distract & drain yourself . Just a sincere tip with wishes for success isA......

olio said:
Well seems like an intresting forum here :)..I'm a 6th year medical student In kAAU in Jeddah ,ksa ..half egyption half saudi<the prettier half is the egyption :p> .I'm thinking of joining kaplan heliopolis after my internship here in jeddah for USMLE step 1 and 2 ..Wondering if anyone can help out with some info abt the tuition,durations,benifits ,scores,,,etc anything really would be a help .Somtimes i think maybe it's not worth the hassle <and the frustration if i don't get excepted after all that> if i can just do my canadian exam here in Riyadh and end up in canada <since it's easier for us here as saudis> but again u never know what cld happen ..

My second question i really would want to establish a career in Egypt <yeah i know im crazy sue me> i know it's very competitive in Egypt even for Egyptions themselves but do u think it's possible to work in an egyption hospital if im saudi ..I have a chance to get an Egyption nationality since my mom is ,but i really don't know how high are the possibilties of establishing a career in Egypt ..?.

And congrats to all of those who got excepted in their residencey program..3o2balan ya rab..

Thank you very much yasmeena for the information :) ..As for ypur advice your right one shld concentrate on one path but u see the thing is as a saudi here i do have multiple options ,there are alot of scholarships to the USA from the minestry of education, and at the same scholarships from the minstry of health to Canada and Australia ,and alot of those who do the arab board have a chance to do their fellowship in Canada ..And since u never know what u'll end up with we are adviced to be ready with the canadian and USMLE and if one is intrested in europe the MRCP exams ..It's complicated and quite scarey sara7a it all depends on your scores in medical school and of course "elwa96" ..yalla rabena ysahel enshalla ..Anyways thanks again Yasmeena ,if anyone has any added info plz let me know ..

yesmeena said:
Asalamu Alaykum Dear H.,

Finally the word is out ! Mabrooooook , just wanted to announce it here & give you the praise you deserve for doing such a great job masha2Allah & being a role model for so many including myself !

Hope to see you soon ??

thanks Yesmeena!!!!!!

I couldn't have done it without the support of wonderful people like you!!!! And alh, all praise to He who by His will is all things... Alh. U'balik!! :)

olio said:

Salam u alaikum Olio and welcome to the forum!!! Its actually interesting... I met quite a few Saudis from your uni when I was in the States this yr, they were on the scholarship u are talking about, studying in the Kaplan centers.

Of course studying in Kaplan Egypt will prob be a lot easier since its nearby.

I understand the dilemma yr in, i had the same thing when i graduated from uni- there are so many different paths. It really comes down to: where do you want to practice, and how much effort you want to put in.
Do you want to practice in the US? If so, you have to take the usmle. If u want to practice in Saudi- then you could do so with any of the tracks. Likewise in Egypt.

The usmle is a long process and if you read my post above, you can get an idea of the effort it needs. But let me also sayI don't think you should worry about not being accepted, just make a goal, take the steps, wa billah al tawfiq! :)

About Egypt: to work in the University hospitals/teaching hospitals/public hospitals part of the ministry of health, you have to complete 6 months (it might be 3 I don't remember) of internship "imtiaz" at one of those hospitals.

Otherwise, you can still get a licence to practice in Egypt, but it will be in the private sphere: the private hospitals/ practices/ clinics.

Good luck! and let us know if there's anything else we can be of help in!

Salam Alaykum wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuh my brothers and sisters

im actually a 4th year undergrad in a US university, applying this year insha'Allah to US med schools

bas ana 2aslan men shobra, wa ma hadesh yensaha :thumbup: ;)
i have both an egyptian and american citizenship, and insha'Allah amal hayaty is to work in masr wa america fee nafs el wa2t. Bas i wanted to know el wad3 fe masr from people that are living there now and trying to open up a 3eyadah, cuz i know the economic situation is pretty tough right now

fa law 2aye had 3ando 7'ibra fel mawdoo3 dah, yedeeny 2alo

jazakum Allah khair

wa nas2al Allah lel tawfee2 leh ikhwanah ele bey mawetoo nafseehom fel steps wal hagat el gameela dee

. said:
Asalamu Alaykum Dear H.,

Hope to see you soon ??
Alf alf mabrook ya Hzma ! That really is great news !!
Il 7amdulilah ... you made it ! 3o2bal il ba2ee ya Rab !
Work and you shall succeed.
Salam :)

NileBDS said:
Alf alf mabrook ya Hzma ! That really is great news !!
Il 7amdulilah ... you made it ! 3o2bal il ba2ee ya Rab !
Work and you shall succeed.
Salam :)

Thanks!!!! And Mabrouk to you too!! In Allah la yuday3 ajr man ahsan a3malah, and we've really worked so hard... alh!! 3o2bal al ba2ee isa!

Thanks alot hzma for the info...Do you think its more benficial if i take kaplan in USA ,,,as u mentioned, here in Egypt would be much easier for me,but at the same time doing it in the states 7aykoon contact with the real stuff and the real american medical enviroment..

''Otherwise, you can still get a licence to practice in Egypt, but it will be in the private sphere: the private hospitals/ practices/ clinics. ''

Thanks i needed to hear that.:)

STUCKINUCR..Welcome to the club..:p,if u get any ma3lomat abt working in egypt,, tell me..

olio said:
Thanks alot hzma for the info...Do you think its more benficial if i take kaplan in USA ,,,as u mentioned, here in Egypt would be much easier for me,but at the same time doing it in the states 7aykoon contact with the real stuff and the real american medical enviroment..

Kaplan is not really the real american medical environment. :) Unless yr planning on working/attending at the same time. Otherwise- the only thing would be the "live lectures" which you can't get in the Egypt kaplan (obviously). But the videos are the same- and its a lot cheaper! And actually, I took the video lectures for step 2 and did just fine, it was actually quite good because you can watch the same video many times, unlike the live lectures which went really fast.
They're both good really, its up to you I guess!

Salam Aleikom warahmatu allah wabarakatu everybody,

I'm a new member, i'm egyptian graduated from kaser eleini in egypt and i'm doing canadian licence exams and i'm planing to do USMLE STEP II CK can anyone tell me how long it take to study for it in order to get high score like 99 or so ( i mean how many months?)
good luck lelgaamee3 :)
wajazakoum allah khiraa

Mos90 said:
Salam Aleikom warahmatu allah wabarakatu everybody,

I'm a new member, i'm egyptian graduated from kaser eleini in egypt and i'm doing canadian licence exams and i'm planing to do USMLE STEP II CK can anyone tell me how long it take to study for it in order to get high score like 99 or so ( i mean how many months?)
good luck lelgaamee3 :)
wajazakoum allah khiraa

Hey, welcome to the forum Mos90! Ahlan beek, why did you go to Canada first to study for the Canadian liscencing exams? Just curious? How's is the Canada medical environment for Foreign med grads?

To answer your q, it all depends. How much do you already know? a good way to start is to do a diagnostic exam, and see where you are- and how much more you need to do. In general, as Kasr el Ainy grad, I'd say from 4-7 months, depending on how high u want to score.

I doubt it would take longer than that.
Good luck!

hzma said:
Hey, welcome to the forum Mos90! Ahlan beek, why did you go to Canada first to study for the Canadian liscencing exams? Just curious? How's is the Canada medical environment for Foreign med grads?

To answer your q, it all depends. How much do you already know? a good way to start is to do a diagnostic exam, and see where you are- and how much more you need to do. In general, as Kasr el Ainy grad, I'd say from 4-7 months, depending on how high u want to score.

I doubt it would take longer than that.
Good luck!

Thank you very much hzma for the info, i went to canada because i was under the impression that IMGs have a good chance to match in addition to that part of my family lives there so i thought it will be easier to pursue residency there but i find out that it is really tough for IMGs first of all there arn't that much spots in comparison to the states so the compition is crazy in addition to the very limited speciality seats available for IMGs,there is basicly two main routes either IMG onatrio which offer about 200 position in total (this include different streams i.e: clerkship, PGY1,PGY2)and Carms 2nd iteration which offers about 100 postions most of them in family medicine also there are few IMGs programs in other provinces but you really have to live there to get accepted. i think the smart thing is to finish a residency in the state then to move to canada to practice this is just my personal opinion because i like canada more than the state
anyway this is just brief info about the situation in canada...
by the way mabrook for getting matched
and all the best in your future carrer
Rabnaa ywaf2aak insha allah

Mos90 said:
Thank you very much hzma for the info, i went to canada because i was under the impression that IMGs have a good chance to match in addition to that part of my family lives there so i thought it will be easier to pursue residency there but i find out that it is really tough for IMGs first of all there arn't that much spots in comparison to the states so the compition is crazy in addition to the very limited speciality seats available for IMGs,there is basicly two main routes either IMG onatrio which offer about 200 position in total (this include different streams i.e: clerkship, PGY1,PGY2)and Carms 2nd iteration which offers about 100 postions most of them in family medicine also there are few IMGs programs in other provinces but you really have to live there to get accepted. i think the smart thing is to finish a residency in the state then to move to canada to practice this is just my personal opinion because i like canada more than the state
anyway this is just brief info about the situation in canada...
by the way mabrook for getting matched
and all the best in your future carrer
Rabnaa ywaf2aak insha allah

It's intresting that the complete opposite applys here in KSA,It's much easier for Saudis to get accepted in Canada a part of it is related to the approved agreements i guess between both countries,. Ministry of health sends most of their fellowships to canada ..2nd thing is that most ppl find the American path quite fussy and rather hard to get through in ..And actually they prefer doing their residency programe in canada then their practice and fellowship in the states for the better income ..As far as i know is if u pass USMLE u dont need the canadian exam if u wish to study in canada but it's not vica versa ofcourse..

But your right abt the limited spots in canada which actually is a double edged sword for i think for that reson is why canada considered more standard than usa where there are alot of variations from excellent programes to real poor ones..

olio said:
It's intresting that the complete opposite applys here in KSA,It's much easier for Saudis to get accepted in Canada a part of it is related to the approved agreements i guess between both countries,. Ministry of health sends most of their fellowships to canada ..2nd thing is that most ppl find the American path quite fussy and rather hard to get through in ..And actually they prefer doing their residency programe in canada then their practice and fellowship in the states for the better income ..As far as i know is if u pass USMLE u dont need the canadian exam if u wish to study in canada but it's not vica versa ofcourse..

But your right abt the limited spots in canada which actually is a double edged sword for i think for that reson is why canada considered more standard than usa where there are alot of variations from excellent programes to real poor ones..

yes olio i think you're right about the fellowships, i met a lot of saudis fellows in canadian hospitals. but i was talking about residency positions for IMGs, canada has most respected programs but it is very hard for IMGs to get in residency here, if you you're a graduate of a medical school outside canada and US and you want to get in residency program in canada most provinces require you to do the canadian exams even if you finish USMLE.

you're right also that alot of residents prefer to work in the state upon completing their residency because of the better pay, even canadian graduates do the same thing for the better pay...but it was just my personal opinion because i prefer to live in canada rather the state.
but as far as i know for IMGs the U.S route is waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than the canadian route....